80 Series - Roof load capacity

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
To the ExPo Landcruiser experts, unfortunately I've had to move to an ARB roof rack for two upcoming trips. I picked up a used ARB 73" x 49" roof rack last night at a decent price (compliments of eBay). Anyhow, I could not believe how heavy this thing was. Not sure of exact weight but I'd guess somwhere arround 80-100 lbs! :Wow1:

What I wanted to know is what is the manufacturer's maximum roof weight capacity for the mighty 80? I've been searching arround and can't find it.

Cheers,
P

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Have you checked on IH8MUD? I'm not sure you'll find a mfr recommendation since the ARB is supported by the gutters - as opposed to the luggage rack that is only supported by the roof itself.

I haven't heard of any problems with the people running rooftop tents - so I would think 500+ pounds isn't a problem.

Or were you planning on attaching the ARB to the luggage rack?:Wow1: I really wouldn't do that. The ARB rack itself is probably pushing the limits of the factory roof rack.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Max for the silly OEM roof rack is 100 lbs.

No real statistics for the gutters when using a "real rack".. but i wouldn't hesitate to have 300 lbs up there.. and have. I've heard of others loading even more. If i had a RTT, shovel, axe, pull pal and full of water/fuel and firewood... i'd be pushing 400-500 lbs.

By the way, my INTI is probably at least 100 lbs... and it takes 2-3 guys to load it up on top of the cruiser. Been on for several years. No problems.

Im 240 lbs...

Last edited:

UCBerzerkeley

Observer
It'll take some pounds for sure. The 80 is just old enough to have legit rain gutters, which are perfect mounts, as opposed to the mounts integrated into the body these days. I dunno the capacity of the rain gutters though, sorry

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
I would not worry a bit.
I've seen a INTI rack with a 3 large men and a woman standing on it. I would say close to 800 lbs.+ whatever the rack weighs.

Those ARB's are seriously heavy duty. They build a proper rack, meant to be abused for a lifetime.

Tucan viajero

Adventurer
Believe or not, when we went through Bolivia during our South American Expedition (Please click here for more on the Bolivian leg of the Araucania expedition) we stayed at a small hotel in the town of Uyuni.

That day, and seemingly quite often, the hotel didn’t have any running water, so the 80 series you see below handled the precious liquid delivery. Judging by its size, the container on its roof may be able to hold close to 1,000 liters, which correspond to 1,000 kilograms or 2,200 lbs!

According to the hotel staff, this vehicle had handled this task for them and other customers for quite a long time. We thought this was amazing at the time… wouldn’t you?

Agua-en-Uyuni.jpg

Please note the hose delivering the water from the container to the hotel.

The two other 80 series parked in front of the water transport were part of our expedition.

tv

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Believe or not, when we went through Bolivia during our South American Expedition (Please click here for more on the Bolivian leg of the Araucania expedition) we stayed at a small hotel in the town of Uyuni.

That day, and seemingly quite often, the hotel didn't have any running water, so the 80 series you see below handled the precious liquid delivery. Judging by its size, the container on its roof may be able to hold close to 1,000 liters, which correspond to 1,000 kilograms or 2,200 lbs!

According to the hotel staff, this vehicle had handled this task for them and other customers for quite a long time. We thought this was amazing at the time… wouldn't you?

Agua-en-Uyuni.jpg

Please note the hose delivering the water from the container to the hotel.

The two other 80 series parked in front of the water transport were part of our expedition.

tv

Looks like an INTI rack no? Now that just shows how stout they are.

brentbba

Explorer
I would not worry a bit.
I've seen a INTI rack with a 3 large men and a woman standing on it. I would say close to 800 lbs.+ whatever the rack weighs.

Those ARB's are seriously heavy duty. They build a proper rack, meant to be abused for a lifetime.

Geez - you must be remembering Alvaro, Monica and Doug on Alvaro's INTI at SnT a few years back too.

I wouldn't worry at all about weight with your ARB sitting in the rain gutters. Dave is right on regarding the weight limit of the factory POS rack- 100 lbs. It's held on by two silly little nutserts in the roof sheet metal at each corner.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
That day, and seemingly quite often, the hotel didn’t have any running water, so the 80 series you see below handled the precious liquid delivery. Judging by its size, the container on its roof may be able to hold close to 1,000 liters, which correspond to 1,000 kilograms or 2,200 lbs!

That's crazy! For that much weight, I'd get a trailer to transport the water.

hieronymus

Adventurer
When standing still a roofrack can support 1000's of pounds (rooftoptent with three adults etc.)...it's a different story when you start rolling, not to mention going through rough terrain quite fast. I can't imagine that 80 with 1000 ltrs of water doing over 30 mph.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Roof rack capacity.

Thanks for all the replies!

All I can say about that 80 with the water on the roof rack :Wow1:

I was certain that the 80 can handle a significant load on the roof but as with everything this comes at a compromise to vehicle stability and handling. I was just completely amazed at how heavy the ARB roof rack was because it would use up most of the "safe" capacity. I believe that this rack is way overbuilt but then again, the Outback is not a forgiving place.

I'll see how we go with 4 adults plus gear on our trip to North Stradbroke Island, just off the coast of Brisbane here in Queensland. Slow and steady will be the key.

Cheers,
P

78Bronco

Explorer
That's crazy! For that much weight, I'd get a trailer to transport the water.

They need the hieght to get water to flow uphill so a trailer might not be any help.

That type of weight in a corner could easily turn into 3000 lbs flipping the truck over with centrifical force and a very high COG. 30 mph would dangerous:Wow1:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Static capacity = capacity while sitting. (with an arb or an inti, probably thousands of lbs)

Dynamic capacity = capacity while moving. (with an arb or an inti, probably 300-400lbs, including the rack. More, and the gutters would likely just rip off.) And that much weight would probably have you driving 50 on the freeway from the top heavy feeling. lol.

-B

p.s. another example is the congo cage system for Jeep wrangler LJ's. That system is rated @ 300-500 Dynamic, which would equate to probably 1000lbs Static. Very robust, thick walled structure...

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
They need the hieght to get water to flow uphill so a trailer might not be any help.

That type of weight in a corner could easily turn into 3000 lbs flipping the truck over with centrifical force and a very high COG. 30 mph would dangerous:Wow1:

I agree on the dangers of that much weight on top of a moving truck.
If they need it to go up hill a trailer and Mark-3 water pump may be a safer than a gravity feed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior