80 series price check

shmabs

Explorer
Greetings,

I'm considering making the leap into the world of 80 series land cruisers. I'm going to look at this one Saturday morning, thoughts from the experts?

http://corvallis.craigslist.org/cto/5505484996.html

and the original for sale ad on mud.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1993-land-cruiser-clean-in-co.883335/

Primary concerns: no lockers which is a bummer, no real maintenance history (HG or axle services) currently has a CEL which is believed to be for an EGR issue.

Thanks

Mike

Edit: From the ad

1993 Toyota Land Cruiser. I am the third owner and recent work within the last 5,000 miles is as follows:

-New Old Man Emu Lift 2.5"
-New Old Man Emu Steering Stabilizer
-New Old Man Emu Caster Correction Bushings
-New Koyo Radiator (Koyo manufactures radiators for Toyota)
-Rebuilt fan clutch (10k silicone oil)
-New Drive Belts
-New OEM Thermostat
-New Upper and Lower Radiator Hoses
-New Toyota Red Coolant with Distilled Water (A very thorough flush was performed)
-New Synthetic Transmission fluid (Pan was dropped, wiped clean, and reinstalled with a new gasket)
-Complete Power Steering Flush with Synthetic ATF
-New Synthetic Rotella T6 Engine Oil with Napa Gold Oil Filter
-New Oil Pump Seal (OEM Toyota Seal)
-New Front Main Seal (OEM Toyota Seal)
-New Oil Level Sensor Gasket (OEM Toyota Seal)
-New Distributer Cap & Rotor
-New WIX Fuel Filter
-New WIX Air Filter
-New Factory Correct Spark Plugs (Copper NGK)
-New Speedo Gear Gasket (OEM Toyota Seal
-New Direct Replacement Catalytic Converters with new Stainless Steel hardware
-New Goodyear Duratrac Tires 285/75/16
-New Powdercoated Black Factory Land Cruiser Wheels (Wheels were inspected and sandblasted before powdercoating)
-New wipers blades (3)
-New Weathertech Front and Cargo Laser fit Floormats (Black)
-New Sideview Mirrors
-New AVS Vent Shades
-Center Diff Lock Switch Installed
-New Brake Pads & Rotors all the way around
-NO RUST
-Leather is in great shape and was professionally redone a few years ago
-No factory F/R lockers

These vehicles are considered to be the last true Toyota Land Cruisers that were brought to the United States: Solid front and rear axles, overbuilt for world travel, etc. Values range greatly but examples such as this bring higher dollars. Reference Ih8mud.com and eBay for pricing comparison. 212,xxx miles, great compression, no leaks, does not burn any oil, $9,000 would be willing to entertain trades as well or trade plus cash. Trades must be in very good to excellent shape just as my LC. Clean title in hand, and miscellaneous parts will be included with the sale.

Checksix

That cruiser looks really nice. Im on the hook to look at it too if it doesn't sell Saturday. Do you mind posting up your inspection results if you don't buy.

Thanks.

Atourgates

Seems fair. I just paid $5,800 for a bone stock 95' with 195k miles and no rust, but an interior that will need to be re-covered. By the time I picked it up 6 hours after it's been listed, the seller had gotten 20 calls.

I'd say $9k is a pretty decent price for what you're getting. I'll be spending more than that to get my cruiser in a similar state.

AK.xplorer

Observer
That price if very fair. Put on your big boy paints, throw down that cash, and realize that this poor Land Cruiser was road queen, it hasn't even been used in it's element. I did get a chuckle out of the Koyo radiator comment: "OEM". Those darn things are made in Indonesia or China and are half the price of a TRUE OEM radiator. In the non-marketing hyped up world, OEM TOYOTA means MADE IN JAPAN.

If I bought it, directly after transfer of the title, I would take a ball peen hammer, and put a tiny little dent in the poor thing, just to give it a shrivel of pride.

The seller also sunk all that flippin money into it. Take that plunge. Disregard the lack of factory lockers. Up here in the north country, I've had a bear of a time getting those factory lockers to work if the prior vehicle owner didn't cycle them, especially in the winter when you REALLY need a locker! I actually prefer to buy 80 series without the lockers, and go exclusively with harrop lockers. They engage quicker, and were specifically designed for the Land Cruiser.

Last edited:

Afdfiremedic

This is my rig; to dispel any rumors; CEL is on and it's a stuck EGR. The rig is in great shape and I purchased it with the work done in Colorado from the second owner. Please ask questions directly if there are concerns/questions. I'm happy to talk about the rig and have absolutely nothing to hide. Additionally, the original poster is looking at it tomorrow morning. -Ed

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
9000 is a decent price. A fresh HG would make a very good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AK.xplorer

Observer
This is my rig; to dispel any rumors; CEL is on and it's a stuck EGR. The rig is in great shape and I purchased it with the work done in Colorado from the second owner. Please ask questions directly if there are concerns/questions. I'm happy to talk about the rig and have absolutely nothing to hide. Additionally, the original poster is looking at it tomorrow morning. -Ed

Back in about 2007, I flew down to Medford, OR, to import a green-eyed young honey up to Alaska. That was a fun trip. She hyperventilated when she saw a tractor trailer truck in front of us, slip off the road in the mountains somewhere in BC. There was so much snow, that it almost disappeared into the snow bank. She peed outside at 52 below zero in the Yukon, and came running back to the car, whimpering. I still get a chuckle out of that memory. When we finally made it to the AK border, we spent Christmas in Northway, at a potlatch eating moose and caribou. They were Athabaskans there in Northway. All those Indians, to include myself, appreciated some lower 48 white-girl eye candy, haha!

If you should ever need someone to save another one of your high-dollar road queens, I'm feeling spendy............

shmabs

Explorer
Hi guys,

I ended up buying the 80 series and driving it 500ish miles home. I'm not sure it's the right truck for me, so it may be for sale again shortly. I'm having a hard time getting comfortable in it (knee and back issues) and if I can't get comfortable in truck, it's tough for me to hang to it.

Mike

doubleroses

Adventurer
Hi guys,

I ended up buying the 80 series and driving it 500ish miles home. I'm not sure it's the right truck for me, so it may be for sale again shortly. I'm having a hard time getting comfortable in it (knee and back issues) and if I can't get comfortable in truck, it's tough for me to hang to it.

Mike
Get a 100 Series if the 80 isn't comfortable. I have both and the 80 isn't nearly as comfortable as my 100.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
Get a 100 Series if the 80 isn't comfortable. I have both and the 80 isn't nearly as comfortable as my 100.
Agreed, ditto. Landtank makes extensions for seat rails for 80, that may help to

PS if you really like the 80 platform, consider changing the seat. Lots of great aftermarket options out there for at or less than a grand

shmabs

Explorer
Thanks for the info guys, I'm thinking that a 100 would probably be the "perfect" truck for me, but then again, I'm not sure if that really exists.

I'm going to start taking care of a few of the issues the truck has and go from there.

Mike

Chickenhawk

This past fall I picked up a 96' LC with 31k original miles for $9300. Front and rear dif lock. I almost felt bad for the guy who sold it to me.

JohnnyS

Explorer

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

X2. However I'd try the Landtank seat extensions and drive the 80 for a while. If there is any way to keep the 80 as your "off road" rig, do so and pick up a 100 as your longer haul vehicle.
Where we live there are a fair amount of tight trails where the 100 won't comfortably fit, this is where the 80 really shines. It is beyond amazing on rough roads and trails, however for me it just doesn't cut it on the highway after being spoiled by 100s.

If you get a 100 I would strongly suggest one with the 5 speed, I've had both and in my opinion it is night and day. On 295s with a lot of weight our 100 will easily cruise at 80+, while still getting the same mileage as our 80 at 65.
Road manners are excellent, grades don't effect it, quiet, fast (ish), super comfortable, etc....
But last time I checked a straight 100 with a 5 speed is realistically approaching the 20K ballpark.

Get both :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94