80 Series Headlight Bulb upgrades?

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I've been researching a plug and play upgrade option for my low beams. Thus far I see that the 9006 low beam can be substituted for a 9012 that offers about 40% more lumens in the desirable white light. I also see some folks use John Deere's AH211917, which is a 9012 on steroids. The Slee upgrade harness I have should be able to handle an upgrade easily, and I want to stick with a 9006 style as that is what the lens is designed for.

The IPF super low beam's offered by Slee seem to suffer from modest output gains and shortened life span. But again, I don't know for certain.

The goal is better low beam performance without adding driving lights to an already crowded ARB.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
...I also see some folks use John Deere's AH211917, which is a 9012 on steroids. The Slee upgrade harness I have should be able to handle an upgrade easily, and I want to stick with a 9006 style as that is what the lens is designed for.

Thoughts?

This is what I have. It works great for me.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Thanks Phil - just made the order - I appreciate you taking th eimte to post some empirical info.

If you don't mind, I've copy and pasted the nuts and bolts here for ExPo's search engine. If mud ever goes down, a lot of good info is gonna be lost...

From LandcruiserPhil's research:

I purchased Toshiba 9011- high beam lamps and Philips (3rd Gen) P9012 low beams from HERE
Bases require a little modification to fit Instruction HERE

My findings
Low beam > OEM - HIR 25% increase in foot candle
High beam > OEM - HIR 42% increase in foot candle

Test Conditions
1996 FZJ80
Current low beam Sylvania 9006 51W
Current high beam Sylvania 9005 60W
Engine running
Socket voltage Low beam - 14.1V High beam - 13.7V
Foot candle meter - Extech 401025 Foot Candle/Lux Light Meter
Measured @ 7' 4" lamp to sensor
Adjusted meter sensor to optimum reading

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
UPDATE - installed 4 'upgrade' bulbs

Being a big fan of good light, I am always on the lookout for ways of improving the Cruiser's illumination. After the OME lift, like many others, I experienced a stinkbug attitude. The front spacers helped a lot, but there is still a bit of a rake. Of course this new attitude dials the headlights right into the ground. Ever use the little level built into the headlight assembly of an 80? I hadn't until today. After adding the new bulbs, I adjusted the beams upward quite a bit. What a difference. No offense to on coming traffic, and my night driving is greatly improved. Moral of the story - if you have lifted your 80 - check the light level!

Anyway, I ordered a kit from Candlepower.com that offered a small discount on all four bulbs.

Knife used to block out the personal info:
ef24bf25.jpg

Low beams - stock has blackout on top:

c5482d59.jpg

New High beams are significantly larger:

b243b32a.jpg

The new bulbs come with a slightly larger middle tab, necessitating a slight modification. I used the bench grinder and knocked all four bulbs tab down to the proper size in about 30 seconds. Some folks remove it altogether or use wire snips. Seems silly to nix it and snips would be more work.

8e61d4a0.jpg

Not dark, but there is a noticeable difference in the low beam. Driver side upgraded, passenger stock:

3e0ee209.jpg

4db46e6d.jpg

Lastly, and not to belabor a simple mod, the lights are worth the investment. Night shots do nothing to tell you the story, but suffice it to say the difference is noticeable and appreciable.

All done. Compare the high beams to the light forces - impressive. Night drives will be more comfortable with these working for me.

be70eaa8.jpg

Last edited:

VanGo

Explorer
Schat-

I run the same bulb upgrade with the SLEE wiring harness.....very happy with the overall gains.

Van

94SRUNNER

Adventurer
Schattenjager...I did the headlight mod shortly after Van did, per his input and have not been disappointed. All in all a great mod for the 80.

neatus

Is there a need for the Slee harness with these bulbs? Does it put a heavier load on the electrical system?

brentbba

Explorer
Is there a need for the Slee harness with these bulbs? Does it put a heavier load on the electrical system?

I've read about these upgrades on Mud for quite awhile now. Phil's always great advice, etc. You asked the question that I don't recall being addressed in any of the threads on this upgrade. Pics posted by Schattenjager are dramatic in the difference from stock. Mine are so yellow it's pathetic.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Update - I now run 9012 high beam replacement HIR in BOTH for high and low beam. :wings: One of the best mods to date

I had the early designed Slee harness and found no increase in output and it was removed for increased reliability. YMMV

rjl

Ryan

No, but the idea is to make the chain-of-power as simple and short as possible. The Slee wiring harness takes the power straight from the battery to the headlights, as opposed to through the electrical system, to the headlight switch, and then to the headlights.

I remember being on the cutting edge of this mod back in 2002 or 03. I went to John Deer and got the bulbs there, cut the mounting tab, and installed them with the wiring harness. One of the easiest yet best mods you can make to an 80.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke