80 series guys; question about these buttons (JDM)

SOFME

Observer
So i'm looking to buy an 80 series here in japan. quick question about these three buttons: OFF, COOL, ICE. They are located just forward of the center arm rest. (please note i'm looking at an online site, forgive the ignorance)

0302413A20130118W00312.jpg

0302413A20130118W00304.jpg

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
In some countries, the 80 series came with a refrigerated center console. The frig utilizes refrigerant from the A/C system so there are lines under the vehicle that lead up to it.

SOFME

Observer
That's what I was guessing. Do you by chance how well they work? Or if they are problematic? The truck this on is on specifically is a 91' vx limited, auto, diesel, and they are asking $10k usd

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I don't know about the 80 series but the ice box/cooler I had in a toyota van late 80s was poor...the engine/ac system was so anemic it would barely freeze ice

LifeOverland

Adventurer
I remember my parents had one in our old Toyota van in the center arm rest. I was a child, but remember it being worthless because the engine was just below the seats!
Mmmm diesel 80 with ice cream....

Tucan viajero

Adventurer
The cool box in the 80 series is just great. It can allow you to have ice cold beer at hand even during the hottest summer and it can even make ice. As a matter of fact, if you keep the "ICE" switch pressed for too long, all the contents of the cool box will freeze. Also, if you look toward the front of the box (inside, of course) you should see a trap door where two small ice trays are stored. A good thing to have when you need a few ice cubes in a hurry.

VX grade 80 series assembled in Venezuela (a hot, tropical country) until 2007 had them, and besides being very efficient as explained above, we saw very few problems with these cool boxes. I can only recall one friend that had some issues with a magnetic valve that controls refrigerant flow to the cooler box evaporator. I had three 80 series myself, and never had the slightest problem with this system.

Personally, I believe it was a great thing to have in the 80 series considering our weather conditions.

Last edited:

86tuning

Adventurer
$10,000 USD for a 91? Is that's the going rate in Japan?

Pretty much. The diesel cruisers seem to really hold their value. And consider that most vehicles in Japan will have less than 100,000km which is below 60k miles. The (annual?) vehicle inspections there are quite costly as well, because many wear items are replaced at that interval (think brake calipers, etc).

What would you pay for an LX450 that had below 60,000 miles, with service history?

Enigma

Observer
Just to echo what Tucan already stated, the console cooler in the VX's are pretty good. They hold quite a few cans of your favourite beverage, and on the 'cool' mode, keep everything well chilled. The 'ice' mode works okay on mine, in about 90 minutes I think it will make ice in the 2 factory trays at the front of the cooler. No issues with mine in the 5 or so years I've owned it now.

SOFME

Observer
Pretty much. The diesel cruisers seem to really hold their value. And consider that most vehicles in Japan will have less than 100,000km which is below 60k miles. The (annual?) vehicle inspections there are quite costly as well, because many wear items are replaced at that interval (think brake calipers, etc).

What would you pay for an LX450 that had below 60,000 miles, with service history?

This ^

Plus its not avalible in mericah and i can bring it back.

Guydudebro

Mine works a charm. Cool and cold as described. $10,000 is about right. I just bought a 94 VX Limited with 200,000 k's on the clock for around that price but mine has been quite "done up" with a 5 inch lift, new 315's on new after market rims, HID and LED lights..etc.. The FJZ80 prices have really fallen but the diesels are hanging up there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online