80 series front brake refresh

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
The Cruiser is in need of love - one front caliper is dragging and the rotors are down to disposal thickness. I replaced the pads when I was in Alaska, and the job was insanely easy. I'm hoping that this project of rotor, caliper and pad replacement goes as smoothly.

Any pointers for rotor removal, bleeding, etc? Anything to be ready for that is unusual for this job?

Last edited:

carlpb

Air impact and press

No amount of hammer blows would losen the rotor from the hub on mine, and it took a good air impact wrench to get it loose and a press to remove.

nuclearlemon

Adventurer
never had any issues on any of my cruisers, including my 80. fairly easy except for the bleed, which is just a pita. calipers are very easy to rebuild. getting ready to replace my rotors when i regear the front end. take your time and work clean. get all the rust of any bolts, hubs etc, rattle can major parts, coat bolts when you put them on.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I am looking into buying an 80, why so hard to bleed the brakes? I made a list of all the fluids, etc I want to do to baseline it and bleeding the fluid was one item....

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Do it one side at a time.

Do not force the fluid backward in the system. Open the bleed screw to relieve the fluid when compressing the caliper. The last thing you want to do is back flow the dirty brake fluid that has been in your caliper into the ABS module.

Once you swap the caliper, top off the fluid in the master cylinder, open the bleed screw and allow gravity to work most of the air out. If you are diligent about making sure the master cylinder stays full while you are working, you won't have a hard time bleeding the system at the end.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Tackling this over the weekend - aside from the bleed - is there anything I need to do in order to prep for the job? IS there in fact a trick to removing the rotors? Will have tools a plenty, but is there something odd I will need to have? Thinking a metal brush for the DeWalt might help clean things up a bit and prep for painting. Please! Proffer any constructive ideas!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94