80---->60

1morebike

Adventurer
This a cross post I have going on in8mud but I thought maybe there would be some new opinions over here. Anyway I'm selling my 80 and my mechanic convinced me to stay with toyota because any thing else will just not be reliable so I have always wanted a 60 series so are they really as rough around the edges as the 80 guys say?

fowldarr

Explorer
No. It's not an 80. I have owned a 60, 62, and an 80. It won't be as comfortable, they do have more soul, they are slower, but a great vehicle. I will own another when the time is right.

The best way to put it for me is if I was buying one for me it would be a 60/62, if I was buying it for my wife to drive I would get an 80

1morebike

Adventurer
Yeah it's for me and I agreed they have more soul. I don't care about speed it's all about getting there and back. Do you think the 60 or 62 are more reliable then an 80?

fowldarr

Explorer
I wouldn't say they are more reliable. They are older, thereby, have had more of an opportunity for neglect. If they have been well cared for they have been known to get well over 300,000 miles on stock running gear. It's all about maintenance.

dcoy

Adventurer
I'm biased towards the 60 series for two reasons: 1: the retrocool vibe of the series and 2: manual transmission. Additionally, I think there is alot more room for modification or personalization of the 60s due to ones predispositions, budget, or obsessiveness. I've gone in the more extreme direction with engine conversion and most everything else but that's not at all mandatory. Of course, because they're older, you'll need to look somewhat harder to find one that fits your needs.

Last edited:

Expedition Leader
Yeah it's for me and I agreed they have more soul. I don't care about speed it's all about getting there and back. Do you think the 60 or 62 are more reliable then an 80?

Not any more reliable, but easier to work on - particularly a 60 which has a carb'ed 2F motor and a manual transmission and can be easily de-smogged. The 62 is sort of a hybrid between the 60 and 80, with the same fuel-injected 3FE and auto transmission as the early 80-series.

Realize that a 60 with a four-speed is pretty wound up in rpm to go 65 mph on the highway. If you're going to put a lot of highway miles on it then put a 5-speed H55 in it or buy a 62 with auto-tranny and overdrive gear.

Like any car/truck, the older they are, the more you have to be careful to find one that has been maintained well by previous owners, for them to be reliable. But it can be done - I drive my FJ40 all over the western U.S. and for a week at a time off-road, and it is perfectly reliable with nothing other than routine maintenance. One of my sons has my FJ60 now, and he drives it to Idaho and back every year for school without a problem.

fullybalanced

Too many plans, not enough time
Yeah, I have to agree with most of what the others have said. I've had a 84 60 and currently have a 97 80. The 80 is more comfortable, has more power and generally what (your spouse) would consider a "nicer" vehicle. The 60 i had; the air was coolish, the heat was warmish, it was slow, the seats were not well padded....it was easier to work on but there was less aftermarket parts avail -- not much less, but still less. However, it had personality in spades. I always got looks and thumbs-up, the 80 is "just another SUV" to most people. The ONLY reason I sold it was becuase it got tot he point the misses wouldn't ride in it.

We sold it bought a 2004 Range Rover that she loved -and it was nice - but just wasn't for me. The FZJ80 had been a great compromise.

dino1

This is the question going on in my head right now. Looking at LC's and I've narrowed it down to a 62 or early 80. I have 3 kids so a 3rd row seat would be nice. Even nicer if I could split it to carry more cargo. If I got a 62 I'd swap in an H55. If I got an 80 I'd just spruce it up. Working air would be nice since I live in Texas.

Seeker

Adventurer
'89 FJ 62 owner here. It is my DD (I dont drive often as I take the train) and being grokmed as the family camping wagon. Im just going to echo what has been said.

- if you buy a 60, just plan on replacing the front seats and console. Youll be way more comfy.
- there is little power in the 3fe. Ive got the H55F in mine so I can cruise 65 with reasonable comfort, but it needs a downhill slope and a country mile to get there.
- the fuel economy is poor -10 - 12 mpg poor.
- you can get afermarket 3rd row seats for the 60's but they were never factory in the states and arent generally super easy to remove.
- everything youve heard about the ride is correct. Its not bad, it just is. The 60 is just a scaled up 40. She needs stiff springs to keep her from bei g tippy due to the narrowness of the stance, plus theyre leafs. Makes my wife's ********** bounce in the passenger seat though so that makes me happy.
- if the engine isnt desmogged (i cant since im in CA) youll have vacuum lines everywhere.
- rust. Even on vehicles with no rust, rust is a problem. The formulation of the steel and the metal coatings were different and not as prohibitive as the stuff we have today. Also, salt was used much more on the roads during winter, and that stuff isnt kind to anything. Buying a truck from the desert SW only partly fixes this.
- youll do more maint. These trucks are built to be serviced. Unfortunately that sometimes seems to mean they were built only to be serviced.
- youll love it. I love mine. My wife actually really likes it and my 2yr old son LOVES it.

--Allen

LifeOverland

Adventurer
As others have said, the 60 series just has soul. I had a 62 that was pretty built up, loved it. I was always a little jealous of the 80s guy's better ride quality, sold it for an FZJ80 and am now in an LX450. I still miss the 62 and it's classic lines. As Seeker did, I'd suggest a 62 with an H55F. However, I did have a TON of problems with the rear drum brakes (from the PO) I just couldn't get them adjusted properly due to the lift so I'm enjoying the four wheel discs on the 80.
Either way, can't go wrong!
As far as the rear seats.... Here's link to get you thinking.... http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128904
I thought I'd seen them commercially available somewhere but can't find it currently. GOOD LUCK

Expedition Leader
This is the question going on in my head right now. Looking at LC's and I've narrowed it down to a 62 or early 80. I have 3 kids so a 3rd row seat would be nice. Even nicer if I could split it to carry more cargo. If I got a 62 I'd swap in an H55. If I got an 80 I'd just spruce it up. Working air would be nice since I live in Texas.

I've owned both a '91 FJ80 and and an 86' FJ60 here in Texas. Neither have real rear-air, it gets hot in the very back. But the FJ80 does have third-row seats that split and either or both sides fold-up compactly.

k294

Grass is always greener. I love my 97 80-series but still long for the two 60-series I had to part with. I'd love to have both because they are very different vehicles to actually experience day-to-day, imho. Still, you wont dynamite the 80 away from me. Ever.

doug720

Expedition Leader
I'm biased, as I have a 60...and would not trade it! They have quirks, but they are cool and very basic, which is good if you like to work on things and travel to remote areas. The rides not the best, they handle kind of like tractor, but I smile every time I drive it. We always get questions, comments and waves when were in it. My wife and daughter have even learned to answer most of the many questions people ask. Get on a two lane back road and just cruise, not fast, but content. 2 track road dirt roads or trails in some beautiful place taking your family camping, fishing or exploring...and it's pure smiles!

I swapped a diesel engine for the 2f, and it was the best mod I could have done. More power and mileage around 20 MPG for nearly 23K miles! I had a 5 speed already, and with 33" tires and stock 3:70's I cruise at 65-70 really comfortably.

They are good in their own way, you just need to drive a few and see what works for you and the family.

Let me know if you have any I can help with.

Doug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles