80’s FWC Keystone

amyandthefinger

We recently had the good fortune of acquiring an 80's Four Wheel Camper Keystone. We have spent the last 6 years taking our adventures in a 2000 FWC Eagle on a 2000 Toyota Tacoma so this will be a huge (literally) change. The folks we bought it from had it on a utility truck with a 9 ft. bed. He rebuilt it to fit that truck and in doing so made it a little longer in length and height (approx 12 inches on both). We still have a little finishing out to do on the inside but mostly it has been all upgraded.
After all our research we have decided mounting to a flatbed and filling in around with boxes would be our best bet. Thoughts? So we are currently truck shopping in hopes we can be road ready by the end of April.
Has anyone done anything like this??? And if so tips, pictures, words of caution, must do, definitely don’t are ALL appreciated.
Do you have the perfect truck for us?

Overdrive

Adventurer
Sounds nice! How would he add 12" to the length...assuming he did not modify the roof which would be quite the mod.

Anyway, I hope you are looking for a long bed truck.

amyandthefinger

He had 4WC build a new roof! This was about 10 years ago and it was stored in a barn ever since. The roof and pop-up are like new. Trying to figure out what kind of truck set-uo to get.

amyandthefinger

He had 4WC build a new roof! This was about 10 years ago and it was stored in a barn ever since. The roof and pop-up are like new. Trying to figure out what kind of truck set-uo to get.
I should also add that he built out everything else to match the extended roof.

Attachments

• 4971A86A-A1A7-41B8-B1DE-3A4BC80CBFD2.jpeg
    4971A86A-A1A7-41B8-B1DE-3A4BC80CBFD2.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 2E95E417-E663-426F-9CAF-23EBDECD8D80.jpeg
    2E95E417-E663-426F-9CAF-23EBDECD8D80.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 44
  • 80B2076C-3B20-470D-AE25-9185B65440A7.jpeg
    80B2076C-3B20-470D-AE25-9185B65440A7.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 08855FB3-D2B1-4565-B24A-B55C2C6E03C1.jpeg
    08855FB3-D2B1-4565-B24A-B55C2C6E03C1.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 43

Paul B.

Adventurer
We have an '88 FWC Keystone. Mounted a 70's utility bed onto a '93 Ford F-350 4 door 4x4, the camper fit in with simple modifications to the utility bed. It is a great vehicle. Goes anywhere. Only issue is the 460 gasser uses the fuel recklessly.

I posted some limited build pics here 3-5 years ago. Keystone demands a full size truck, so many options. 3/4 ton minimum, 1 ton better. We explored flat bed options, but the utility bed was simpler, clicked all the boxes.

All best wishes.

amyandthfinger

We have an '88 FWC Keystone. Mounted a 70's utility bed onto a '93 Ford F-350 4 door 4x4, the camper fit in with simple modifications to the utility bed. It is a great vehicle. Goes anywhere. Only issue is the 460 gasser uses the fuel recklessly.

I posted some limited build pics here 3-5 years ago. Keystone demands a full size truck, so many options. 3/4 ton minimum, 1 ton better. We explored flat bed options, but the utility bed was simpler, clicked all the boxes.

All best wishes.

Any chance you have a current pic of the whole set-up I could see? I searched to try and find the one you mentioned you previously posted but i could only find pics of just the truck. Truck looks beastly so I can see why it slurps up gas!

Paul B.

Adventurer
So looking at your photos, seems he did modify the camper extensively. Or FWC changed it around from '80 to '88. We went through a similar process in '14 through '18. If you buy a suitable utility bed, it could be a bolt on issue, so you could be going in April. If you go with flat bed, bolt that on, bolt on camper, bolt on tool boxes, etc., your timeline/moneyline goes up. We had the truck with a huge steel lift gate bed, took that off, put on flatbed, took that off, made a custom mount, took that off, got lost little bit. Then decided utility bed. Took awhile to find the right bed. But it came together quick after that. I believe if you find the right utility bed on a usable truck, your operation becomes easier, faster.

Out truck is great. Tools, recovery gear, trash, dirty "garage" stuff goes in the utility boxes. Clothes, bed linens, food, kitchen, "house" stuff goes in the camper. My wife and I, our 2 teenage kids all fit in comfortably. 2 double size beds in the big 'ol Keystone.

Some older utility bed trucks are used up trash. Some are lightly used and plenty of miles left. Many construction companies had a banner year last year and may be changing older fleet trucks for new. My suggestion is to look in that direction. Those sellers might be more willing to let them go with less negotiation.

Just some thoughts.

amyandthefinger

So looking at your photos, seems he did modify the camper extensively. Or FWC changed it around from '80 to '88. We went through a similar process in '14 through '18. If you buy a suitable utility bed, it could be a bolt on issue, so you could be going in April. If you go with flat bed, bolt that on, bolt on camper, bolt on tool boxes, etc., your timeline/moneyline goes up. We had the truck with a huge steel lift gate bed, took that off, put on flatbed, took that off, made a custom mount, took that off, got lost little bit. Then decided utility bed. Took awhile to find the right bed. But it came together quick after that. I believe if you find the right utility bed on a usable truck, your operation becomes easier, faster.

Out truck is great. Tools, recovery gear, trash, dirty "garage" stuff goes in the utility boxes. Clothes, bed linens, food, kitchen, "house" stuff goes in the camper. My wife and I, our 2 teenage kids all fit in comfortably. 2 double size beds in the big 'ol Keystone.

Some older utility bed trucks are used up trash. Some are lightly used and plenty of miles left. Many construction companies had a banner year last year and may be changing older fleet trucks for new. My suggestion is to look in that direction. Those sellers might be more willing to let them go with less negotiation.

Just some thoughts.

Thanks so much for your thoughts on the matter. Yes, I believe he not only modified the camper because he is a tall guy but also to fit his 9 ft utility bed.
Finding a trick is proving to be harder than we thought but the search continues.
Hope to see you on the road someday!

Paul B.

Adventurer
Looking at our camper, I don't think he actually changed the roof of your camper. I believe he modified the lower rear portion of the camper, the section that would normally hang off the back of a pickup with the tailgate removed. The roof hood of our camper is also 9' long. I can see what he did. We modified the actual utility bed. Cutting and welding. Your setup, the camper is modified to the standard utility bed. Except 9' long. Most of the 9' long utility beds are dually width. Dually not a good off road choice. But if you're staying on pavement, very nice.

Sorry to rattle on. I swore this camper would be the "last project" as I'm 63 years old now. But it was fun to build this thing.

amyandthefinger

I appreciate all of your input. This morning we are seriously considering putting it up for sale. Sadly, It may just be too big for us. Especially when I roll out solo. We got really excited at the thought of all the extra space after so many years in the Eagle on a Tacoma but perhaps there is a middle ground option we need to investigate!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles