8' truck camper, no cab over

VicHanson

Adventurer
Does, or did, anyone make a truck camper, without a cab over bed. I'm trying to find a basic 8' to 9' truck camper (not just a shell) that has a bed (bunks OK), table, stove top, small fridge, no bathroom, stand up room (not a pop up).

Does such a thing exist?

Thanks,

Vic

mkitchen

Explorer
Try the Alaskan

It sounds like you might be looking for an Alaskan Camper. These have been around for many years and are still being built. They make both a cab over and standard. I have been thinking about a standard myself. The non cab over comes in a 8' and 10' version and they are well built and can be custom ordered to fit your needs.

Look up Alaskan Camper on the web and their site will come up. They are pricey but they can be bought used as well. Good luck.
Mikey

Sportsman Matt

Adventurer
Check out my blog

http://sportsmanmattoutdoors.blogspot.com/2009_01_01_archive.html

I had pics of the plans from the 1955 Popular Mechanics Encyclopedia bout building a small truck camper for the back of the truck.

Check in my blog I have some pics of a couple small truck campers I saw on eBay, no info other han they were for sale.

Personally, I also looked into building a non cabover one, but need a bigger one, so I'm going with a cabover Glen L design.

Good luck

VicHanson

Adventurer
I was sure I had seen one somewhere, it was the Alaskan camper. I really don't want a 'pop up', even with hard sides like those. Also looking for something used and cheap, although I did find that a fellow Expo member sold an old one here earlier this year. Alaskan also has a used one for sale on their site, so have written to the owner of that one.

My most recent idea is to put a small camper on the back of an Isuzu NPR to use for off road travel on short trips, and then pull a large (25' to 30') trailer for extended boondocking and longer trips. This will be my (only) retirement home so trying to find the right combination to live in full time and be able to travel almost anywhere. I would park the large trailer for the short term when using the truck camper. I don't want to pull a large trailer with a pickup, and if I used a 5th wheeler I wouldn't be able to have an off road camper on the truck.

This seems a better option to me than using a large trailer mounted on the truck and then pulling a small 4x4 (like a Samurai) for getting into the boonies, like I had been thinking of earlier. It's a good thing I am still in the planning stage!

Vic

toyrunner95

Explorer
I am actually planning a 1x1 camper build. under 1000lbs and under $1000. It is fairly simple. My friend and I just came up with the basic idea today. It's a mix between the 3040 expedition camper and the Turtle 5. No pop ups, no plumbing, no fancy cabnitry. pretty much just a box and a bed. BUT it will have spaces for storage of food and gear as well as a small 2 burner stove available at any sporting goods store.

The most expencive pieces of this puzzle will be the windows and the door because I want to use normal camper units. This will keep the enginering down.

Ill keep you posted.

VicHanson

Adventurer
Hi Toy Runner,

What is a 1x1 camper? I've drawn up some plans myself, but would like to see your's. I don't have many exact figures for costs being I'm here in Peru, but my rough guess/estimate comes up to $3400 for a 7 1/2 x 9 foot camper, with a 4 foot motorcycle garage in front of it. That is using a 1x2 frame, with 2x4s on all corners, plywood covering inside and out, insulated, bench/bunk beds, table, sink, 2 burner stove, closet and overhead storage, door and 1 window, and a porta-a-potty. I'm going to try to attach a pdf file with my notes and drawings.

Vic

Attachments

• Motorhome profile, 132 in, truck camper, Left side OOD pdf.pdf
    60.6 KB · Views: 473
Stand up height will push the overall height to about 10 ft tall or about 7ft above the bed of the truck. Most non cabovers will try to keep the height less than a foot or so above the cab. By having a cabover on a tall shell the manufacturer usually make the frontal area more aerodynamic as well as the bed or storage area.

If your dream camper does exist, good luck finding one that is used and cheap since they were not popular. Your option is to either custom build or put up with something with a cabover if you are set on a hardside.

PS We should start an idea thread. I have some for a small camper/trailer design.

truck mechanic

Adventurer
I have seen what you are talking about, but the few I have seen where all built in the late 60s early 70s. I did know where there was one a few years ago I dont know if its still there. The only thing is the ones I have seen where not stand up but you could sit comfortable.
Paul

VicHanson

Adventurer
Glad to hear that there were some made, maybe I'll stumble across one sometime. I understand the point about aerodynamics so it makes sense that they weren't popular, except in a pop up version. For me it wouldn't be a problem because the garage in front would solve that issue. So, as an alternative, unless I build one from scratch, it looks like a cabover is probably what I'll have to work with (or a very small trailer).

Two options there, raise the camper up enough that it will go over the Isuzu cab, and make provision to easily raise the camper to tilt the truck cab, or move it back so the cabover portion is above the truck frame and build a garage underneath it. I plan on doing a chassis mount.

With the first option, I could build a garage on the back but then would have to change the rear door to a side door, could be a lot of work. The garage under the cabover is the normal way, but I was hoping for a higher height for the garage to make it easier to get the bike in and out. From what I have heard, a rear door is a pain off-road in the dirt, so it would still be nice to change to a side door, but not sure if it would be worth the trouble. Also need a 9' camper to allow room for a side door.

Does anyone know what is the standard height (if there is one) from the bottom of the camper to the bottom of the cabover portion? What are the outside dimensions of the cabover? Thanks.

Never - good idea to start a thread for ideas!

The latest design drawing is attached - at least I'm getting lots of practice drawing!

Attachments

• Motorhome profile, 132 in, cabover truck camper, Left side pdf.pdf
    54.9 KB · Views: 250

haven

Expedition Leader
Look in the "Mitsu Fuso Camper examples" thread for ideas
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9299

Here is "dhackney's" camper, which incorporates a Bigfoot truck
camper into a custom design

fuso-117.jpg

And here is "tom's" camper, which he designed

fuso-119a.jpg

VicHanson

Adventurer
Thanks, Chip. I've got Doug's BEV Project page saved on my computer so I can look at it any time, and often do. Unfortunately I won't be using a Bigfoot camper, or a FG, but it is still very helpful.

Can't remember, is your build finished? If so, how are you enjoying it?

Does anyone know what is the standard height (if there is one) from the bottom of the camper to the bottom of the cabover portion? What are the outside dimensions of the cabover? Thanks.

My truck is somewhere around 41 or 42 from the bed floor to the top of the cab, and it had one of the taller cabs. They usually give 4-6 for flex so the standard floor to cabover is probably about 4ft even.

Theres a few factory side door models, but they are mostly newer. Are you planning on putting the entrance on the drivers side?

VicHanson

Adventurer
Anton,

Thanks for the height info. And for the question about the door. Yes, I was planning on putting it on the driver's side, but when you asked the question it got me to thinking that there must be a problem with that. Then it dawned on me that it would be on the traffic side if stopped along the road, so I suppose it would be wiser to put it on the passenger's side. Is that what you were thinking?

Vic

94Chalet

A company called Mitchell made one years ago. I believe it was called a fishing hut. That company is no longer in business but it might help you find a used one. I occasionally see a Mitchell TC on the road today. Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94