7yo boy foound!

verdesardog

Explorer
Yea! We fiound a lost 7yo boy safe and sound after he spent the night in 17 degree weather!
Seligman, AZ. Three counties of SAR personel participated in this search.
I was personally out for 11 hours during that night search.

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
As a father of a young boy, I salute you. And cannot imagine the grief, anxiety, and now relief, of the parents. Well done, and please let me buy you a beer if we ever meet.

spunky2268

Adventurer
Give us details! How did the little fellow make it through that cold of a temperature and for how long? How far from his point last seen was he found? What were the circumstances of his going missing? Help us here learn from your lessons.

verdesardog

Explorer
He was found about 1.5 miles from PLS under neath an abandoned travel trailer. He liked to explore, his family was visiting realitives, he wandered away from his grandmothers house and got lost.

Lessons learned: DON'T let the quad team anywhere near any possible search areas, use them only for perimiter containment or transport...this search could have been much shorter if the quad team hadn't run all over the place and messed up any tracks. Even the tracking dogs lost the scent very soon.

I shouldn't have said that much really but......

If you would like more info contact the Yavapai County sheriff.

verdesardog

Explorer
The news coverage was too funny, really playing up the help we got from some locals. There were SAR teams from three counties on this search. When a kid is lost the sheriff calls out ALL resources!

spunky2268

Adventurer
Thanks for the info, verdesardog. I don't think you gave anything away. Although USAR is my forte, I've been pressed to work walk-aways in rural areas and my experiences mirror yours. People just love to zip around on those things giving the impression they are doing something important. They destroy the scent cones for the dogs, and do nothing but burn up gas. But, don't they look sexy in the newspapers! Excellent work to you and the teams involved.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
When a kid is lost the sheriff calls out ALL resources!

And that is not always a good thing! Even when we all know the intentions were good.

Lessons learned: ...this search could have been much shorter if the quad team hadn't run all over the place and messed up any tracks. .

Very glad it was a happy outcome! Congrats to you and the crew, and to everyone who does SAR work!

Having a Rescue is always better than having a Recovery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94