72 Bug, Baja for the road

pacer

Observer
More work on the cage, and wound up cutting the whole firewall out.

Also took all the glass out.

Got some fresh tires in the background three?
Those are big meets for a little bug...

Are you using bus reduction boxes on this build?

warwgn

Explorer
nope, but it does have and early IRS trans with the 4.12 ring and pinion. This is gonna be a daily driver and highway car, the tires are only 30's so real diameter of about 28" so should bbe fine I think. After I build a new engine with more power it will be no problem I am sure.

warwgn

Explorer
New firewall in the works, will have an inner and outer and will weld around the bars for the cage. Gonna be tuff to do and will be no fun cutting pieces to go around the top of the bars not to mention weld them up.

rickb801

Are you planning on running a tube, coming from the A pillars, to catch the lower tube on the front beam? Also, you have a tube going across, connecting the B-pillars, right above the tunnel. In a previous post I think you said you were attaching your seat belts to it. Are you planning on using a 4 or 5 point harness or just lap belts?
Build is looking good.

warwgn

Explorer
The lower tube front beam will brace to the pan head where the body bolts are. And planning on 5 point harness but won't use the submarine belt most of the time.

sunroof came in today, and still have a few more parts coming before I can get the chassis rolling. Still way behind schedule and gotta do other stuff this weekend so gonna need to start pulling longer hours at night.

warwgn

Explorer
Not to worry, and thanks for pointing that out. To be honest I had not really looked in to the mounting and plan to just do what makes sense to me and after some reading from the link you gave and a few other sources it seems I am right in my thinking. The most important aspect I could see was not to mount the shoulder straps at an upward angle and Ideal seem to be 0 to around 30 degrees down. Also the lap belts need to be just right and allow a slight pivot, all that was in my plan and makes sense to me, so kind of cool to see I was mostly correct. The question will be are my belts going to be long enough to reach the lower bar??

Not a huge problem to add in another bar little higher up, I did it the way it is so the seats can still recline and the shoulder belt wont slack or get tighter in theory...but have not mounted the seats yet or even made supports to mount them too. I sat the seat in on the floor and it seems the recline option may be out anyway, I think the shoulder area of the seat will hit the b pillar roll bar and not recline past that point. All really depends on where the seats wind up mounting, I have a 36" inseam and long arms to go with my 6'4" frame so seats will be slid all the way back then mounted right where it is comfortable for me and that will be as far back as they will ever go. My wife is only 5'2" so I hope they will slide far enough forward after mounting so she can drive it too but if not, that is just how it is.

Still got to fab up the mounting for the fuel cell so plenty of options left for changing seat belt mounting locations, but again thanks for the link and pointing out stuff, that is why I post my build threads so there can be some secondary review and I always welcome constructive criticism and different opinions. Heck even if someone wants to just bash my work that is ok too, it may spark a different idea in my head. So it's all good.

warwgn

Explorer
Rear suspension going back together.

can just make out the notch in the spring plates, went 5/8 to go with my 930 cv's.

POR15 is still wet so will get better pics later.

warwgn

Explorer
One side bolted up, the other side should go much eaiser tomorrow.

will have half a rolling chassis by tomorrow night, and got the bushing in for the front beam so the other half should get done by the weekend if all goes well.

warwgn

Explorer
Well after spending the morning taking my daughter to the doctor for an ear infection igot to work on the other side Iit went almost to easy....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne