72 Bug, Baja for the road

warwgn

Explorer
Already set on the front, have thing arms and spindles and ghia rotors with calipers for disk brakes. I did read about 944 and 924 stub axles fitting and plan on that so I can run type 4 larger cv axles in the rear for more working angle. Been cursing ebay for those so I can get a little more lift in the back.

nepbug

The 944 trailing arms just require using the Type 1 bushing (torsion bar mount). Here's a pic to show that setup FWIW
338535.jpg

If you've got a Ghia setup up front I've heard of a good brake bias with those paired with the NA 944 rears, I think that is when using the 944 master cylinder IIRC. Personally, I would worry about brake fade on the front with that setup, but it's not like you'd be tracking the car. Also, you would have to re-drill the fronts to be the same as the porsche 5x130mm rear BCD instead of the 4x130mm, unless you were ok running differing bolt patterns. Might be best to just get a rear disc kit somewhere.

The 944 axle flanges are also 100mm like the T3, so they are a nice upgrade too.

Are you upgrading the transaxle? 76-79 bus 6-rib is a very nice strong option.

One other question, how much POR-15 did it take to do the pan?

olsurfer

Observer
baja landing craft with mothership

Everyone loves those new Razors but I still enjoy my baja bug.

Attachments

• 102_1315.jpg
    102_1315.jpg
    520.8 KB · Views: 53

warwgn

Explorer
I used just under a quart and it was plenty. Still stewing on the rear set up and researching options, today was spent on the front beam getting the bushings out of it and getting it ready for weld in adjusters.

MidnightRider

MidnightRider
Looking good. Ive done a few long trips in mine.

Attachments

• 237 (800x600).jpg
    237 (800x600).jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 239 (800x600).jpg
    239 (800x600).jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 103

olsurfer

Observer
102_1289.jpg
Any details on your fuso and or bug? Nice setup!
Thanks,
The bug is a 71 pan and shell. The roll cage, trailing arms and a-arm conversion is by MGM and has 24in of travel front and rear, 091 trans with weddle gears and it's powered by a 3.5 honda V-tec. I've had bajas since high school, now you hardly see any! It's for sale if you want to fly thru the air and scare yourself silly.
The Fuso is a low mile manual trans 07 with a nice camper set-up and it is for sale too.
PM if interested in either rig.

Attachments

• 102_1215.jpg
    102_1215.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 45
A little bit of inspiration for you. This guy is currently out there running the Dakar rally.
Dunbee trailer: http://youtu.be/rA_BQQP-bvI

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

thanks for that link

View attachment 265025
Thanks,
The bug is a 71 pan and shell. The roll cage, trailing arms and a-arm conversion is by MGM and has 24in of travel front and rear, 091 trans with weddle gears and it's powered by a 3.5 honda V-tec. I've had bajas since high school, now you hardly see any! It's for sale if you want to fly thru the air and scare yourself silly.
The Fuso is a low mile manual trans 07 with a nice camper set-up and it is for sale too.
PM if interested in either rig.

olsurfer where are you located

warwgn

Explorer
Well the new wheels showed up today, think I could a went 15x7 these seem really wide but they are 15x8 and tires are 9.5 so should work perfect. Alot heavier than I thought they would be but they are steel wheels so shouldn't be to suprised.

got 5 wheels so can rotate the spare into the mix each time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior