70-series Ute in Portland OR???

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Ok so MANY moons ago (back when I was graduating High-school around 1997), there used to be a dark green, maybe black (???) 70-series PU/Ute parked down by Barbur Blvd. And in the years since (like the late 90's) I've not seen it around... well today I saw not only that sae truck after all this time but ANOTHER 70-series 4-dr wagon that was Maroon...

Edit: oh yeah the Ute has either home-made service-body/bed on it or some box bed that was maybe for another truck... I don't BELIEVE it's a typical Aussie Ute bed (it's not like any of the Ute beds we had on our 70's in OZ when I lived there)

Anyone know who's trucks these are and if they're Expo members??? Anyone know how someone could have gotten a 70 into the US in the mid 90's??? Did the law change between now and then???

My dad's REALLY looking at importing an HJ75 Troupy (since I'm about to put my KZN130/2nd Gen 1KZ-TE 4Runner on the road here this month - I'll update the build here when I get to my home computer later this coming week) and I'd love to know what they went through.

Just curious is all, any Potlanders that know the details on these trucks being here would be greatly appreciated... I TRIED to chase the guy down but traffic prevented me, dam near got in a wreck I was driving so badly looking at the 70 and drooling :lol: .

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

Lone Pine

Would it happen to be this one? When you described the black 70 series, I remembered seeing this a few years ago, I managed to find it on oldparkedcars.com. Unfortunately, I do not know the owner or if they are a member here.

http://www.oldparkedcars.com/2011/10/1987-toyota-land-cruiser-2-door-pickup.html
1987%2BToyota%2BLand%2BCruiser%2B2%2BDoor%2BPickup%2BTruck%2B70%2B75%2BSeries%2B2H%2BDiesel%2BEngine%2BJ70%2B4.jpg

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
THAT IS IT!!!! Very nice memory mate... I finally saw it driving around today and as a devoted Toyota Nut (and former 70-series owner) I was just in awe when I saw that familiar face in my rear-view mirror. Thanks for the picture aye, now if I can just find he story behind it.

The 4dr Wagon I know is one of a few around here. Scott Brady's 76 is of the same vintage and there's another guy out of bend who I know is a member here with one but I rarely if ever have seen one of these in person, even in Australia where 1 out of ever 3 vehicles on the road is a 70-series (at least out in country where I lived).

Cheers

Dave

dirtgypsy

Observer
Dont think he is a member here. Pretty quiet guy. He builds and imports some of the nicest toyota diesels you will see. He built the 60 for eshelby and the 60 for Lost World Expedition. I know Ken is still in contact with him.

Clint

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
That 70 is in my work parking lot every couple of weeks. I have put a club business card on it but still haven't seen the guy. It's a nice, LHD truck for sure!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94