70 series- engine choice

Rorywg

I'm slightly embarrassed to ask this... I know I should know, but can't work out the answer.

I'm looking, for myself and for a friend, for a new 76 Troopie for a long trip. We are looking in Dubai, where we have access to a load of options and variants. My friend wants the 4.2 Diesel, I'm leaning to the 4.5 V8 Diesel. But the local dealers (which, confusingly, are export agents) can source any variant we want, including other engine options.

Can anyone point me at a source that highlights the difference between the two, and any other engine variants? I think the 4.2 is the HZ, which I know gets a lot of great reviews- is this a function of reliability alone, or are there performance issues that make it better? I think the 4.5 can be either single or twin turbo. Is this likely to be a maintenance problem, and are there any reliability issues?

Any other options we ought to be leaning toward/steering away from? I'm assuming an immediate suspension upgrade to OMEs, some better tires, and then we are probably good to go...?!

Rumpig

Adventurer
Used to have a 1HZ with aftermarket turbo and intercooler in my previous Landcruiser (HZJ105 series), now have the 4.5 single turbo V8 in my VDJ79 series that I replaced that vehicle with...i’d take the V8 any day of the week, and that was before I got the motor remapped and doubled it’s horsepower.
1HZ motor will go forever in stock form if looked after, not really designed to be turbo’d and are known to have heat issues and melt pistons etc if you add a turbo and wind the fuel up in them to much. In hindsight I should have chucked the 1HZ motor and thrown a 1HDFTE motor in that vehicle rather then bolting turbo and intercooler on it, would have had more power and a more reliable engine in my vehicle...(never blew the motor up, but did have ongoing issues with heat when towing loads up big hills). The 1HZ is an absolute slug power wise, but if you don’t care about needing to plan 5 minutes in advance how to overtake something and needing 5klms of road to do it in, they are a super reliable no real electronics type basic motor to have.

Rorywg

Thanks for this- you had the 4.5 V8 remapped? Are there any material downsides to doing this? I guess this takes you to around 400bhp? What did that do to your fuel economy?

Any other info on upgrades you put on the truck?

andrewh

/dev/4wd
An opinion on these engines from the US since we never got this motor, or any 70 series for that matter. 1hz engines are still being made, so expect secondary market to have parts for at least 10 years after production. The 1hd series were 4 and 5 years in production (approx) respectively. They are getting pretty hard to find new, if even possible, and rebuild parts are getting harder and harder to find if you are not in a country that received those models. For my 75, if all things were equal, id get the 1hdft, good power, stock turbo, replace the BEBs if they were the bad batch. My cruiser has a 1hz, and with an intercooler, 8psi, oil cooler and new radiator, should last you for a good while and be as close as you can to retaining the stock engine longevity.
Again, my opinion being in the US with very little access to parts. This would be different in Oz or middle east where these are readily available

Rumpig

Adventurer
Yes I had my VDJ79 series remapped, but I don't know the actual HP figure it is currently putting out....i have a mate who's business remap engines, he used a map they installed on another friends vehicle (after much time on a dyno) into mine at no cost to me, let's just say it's a massive differance through all gears power wise.....not the optimal way to do it, but I'm not complaining for what it cost me.
Is there a downside you ask?....i really don't know, my guess is engine longevity must be compromised to some degree, but my mate reckons these modern 70 series engines are ridiculously under done power wise as to what they can do, and so far they've had no issues. As to fuel economy...we have done 2 big trips away this year towing our camper trailer, one trip done pre remap and one done post...fuel economy was much the same on both trips. Some people claim better fuel economy after getting a remap done, wasn't the case for me though.

Last edited:

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
I'm slightly embarrassed to ask this... I know I should know, but can't work out the answer.

I'm looking, for myself and for a friend, for a new 76 Troopie for a long trip. We are looking in Dubai, where we have access to a load of options and variants. My friend wants the 4.2 Diesel, I'm leaning to the 4.5 V8 Diesel. But the local dealers (which, confusingly, are export agents) can source any variant we want, including other engine options.

Can anyone point me at a source that highlights the difference between the two, and any other engine variants? I think the 4.2 is the HZ, which I know gets a lot of great reviews- is this a function of reliability alone, or are there performance issues that make it better? I think the 4.5 can be either single or twin turbo. Is this likely to be a maintenance problem, and are there any reliability issues?

Any other options we ought to be leaning toward/steering away from? I'm assuming an immediate suspension upgrade to OMEs, some better tires, and then we are probably good to go...?!

Like others have noted.... the 4.2 diesel that you want is the 1HDT or 1HDFT rather than the 1HZ. 1hdt engines are direct injection and turbo charged. 1hz engines are not. Both are very reliable but the 1hz is under powered. Newer diesels make more power but, in my book, the mechanical 1hdt is the best Toyota diesel because of its epic simplicity, reliability and usable power.

Given a 1hz or the 1vd-fte v8, I'd take the latter.

I don’t think the OP is interested in remapped engines or old engines that are no longer available. His choices are the 1 HZ or the V-8. I would take the single turbo version of the V8. He is looking for something reliable that he can use over long-distance traveling. At least I think so

Rumpig

Adventurer
I plan to keep this vehicle for a long time and travel as much of Australia as i can in it, reliability over long-distance travel counts for plenty as far as I am concerned. The OP specifically asked the question regarding my mapping and I replied, i'd say they have some interest in what I wrote, even if they don't end up going that route themself in the end.

TonyLC

I would not consider the 1HZ, personally, for long distance travel. While it's as reliable as the sunrise, it's dreadfully slow and underpowered in a fully loaded rig. The 1VD or 1HD are the way to go.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
I don’t think the OP is interested in remapped engines or old engines that are no longer available. His choices are the 1 HZ or the V-8. I would take the single turbo version of the V8. He is looking for something reliable that he can use over long-distance traveling. At least I think so

My reply addressed this comment in his original post.

Any other options we ought to be leaning toward/steering away from?

nosedive

Observer
If you‘re buying a new LHD 70 series you have the choice of three factory engines

- HZJ76 4.2 Diesel 1HZ
- VDJ76 4.5 Diesel V8 single turbo
- GRJ76 4.0 Petrol

Where do you plan to register the vehicle? And most important, which countries do you want to travel in?

I wouldn‘t consider the old 1HZ engine. The V8 is awesome, but comes with Common Rail injectors and, correct me if I‘m wrong, a diesel particle filter (DPF) with newer and LHD models. The DPF can be an issue in Africa, Eastern Europe, Central America or just everywhere you possibly find bad diesel fuel quality. Same for the Common Rail injectors. Running a second fuel filter and a water filter (separates water from diesel) is highly recommended.

I know, the whole overland community screems for diesel when it comes to overland vehicles. But I would definitely take a closer look at the GRJ76 with its 4.0 petrol engine. It‘s lighter, usually cheaper, no fuel quality issues, easy to maintain, much power, stronger gearbox compared to the HZJ76, and I‘m gonna say fuel economy isn‘t much worse compared to the VDJ76 with the V8 diesel.

In case you plan on traveling to Western Europe. They allready started to ban diesel vehicles from cities and certain roads. But that depends on where you plan to register it and on your destination of course.

Anyway, sounds like a fun project!

Tex68w

Beach Bum
If you‘re buying a new LHD 70 series you have the choice of three factory engines

- HZJ76 4.2 Diesel 1HZ
- VDJ76 4.5 Diesel V8 single turbo
- GRJ76 4.0 Petrol

I know, the whole overland community screems for diesel when it comes to overland vehicles. But I would definitely take a closer look at the GRJ76 with its 4.0 petrol engine. It‘s lighter, usually cheaper, no fuel quality issues, easy to maintain, much power, stronger gearbox compared to the HZJ76, and I‘m gonna say fuel economy isn‘t much worse compared to the VDJ76 with the V8 diesel.

In case you plan on traveling to Western Europe. They allready started to ban diesel vehicles from cities and certain roads. But that depends on where you plan to register it and on your destination of course.

I am a diesel homer myself, but I am slowly coming around to the idea of a gasser being the better option in the long run. After owning this big 392 6.4L Hemi gasser I have come to appreciate the ease of finding fuel, cheaper fuel prices, and far less maintenance costs. I was just in NW Montana last week and we awoke to -17F/-27C temps one morning, it was no issue to start my petrol engine, that might not have been the case in a diesel if it weren't plugged in to warm up. Unless one is towing heavy loads often I no longer see the advantage in the diesel, this doesn't mean that the lust doesn't continue though.

OP, best of luck in your search and ultimate decision. I envy your ability to pick up one of these rigs new, that is merely a pipe dream for those of us here in the states.

Capt Jon

Observer
I had a GRJ76 (gas v6, same 4.0 as the Tacoma) for a couple years. I loved it. Fuel ecomony is an issue, but it would drive circles around a 1HZ. This was especially true in the desert.

Dalko43

Explorer
4.2l 1HD-FTE (or 1HZ, whichever is available) seems like the obvious choice for the OP's purposes, especially if he plans on venturing into places like Africa. Though, did he specify where he was planning on going?

4.0l v6 gasoline is a great engine for what it is, very reliable; it's going to be a hog on fuel when loaded down or powering a heavy vehicle and it really isn't very responsive to start with.

somewhereinursa

Just want to add my 2 cents.

I'm currently living in Japan and found a parallel importer that can order new direct from the middle east. I can order a VDJ78 with the V8 diesel in beige or white, but neither of them have the DPF as standard. And the interior is either tan or brown. He is currently trying to find one with a grey interior. And also looking into importing an ALU-CAB roof-top tent.

However, in order to be able to drive it in Japan, which is where it was manufactured, I'm going to have to shell out about $10,000 extra so that it meets Japanese standards, i.e., DFP, passing emissions, and what they refer to here as Shaken. Normally Shaken is every two years and includes basic insurance and inspection, but because it's an import the Shaken will be every year. I want a camper for the family and maybe even world travel in the future and that's why I'm willing to shell out that kind of money. I just wish the same would be possible in the US.

Since I have a choice it will be the diesel V8. The older 1HZ troopies are for sell here but they are still very expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles