7.3 vs. 6.0 vs. gas

longjohn

Observer
i have inherited my pops 05f-250 fx4 6.0 with 9,980 miles out of warr, am going to purchase ext warr , first plans are coolant filter and egr kit and hope for the best. however because its the dreaded "6.0" am i going to run screaming to the nearest stealers lot to get rid of it ,,,HELL no

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
If you search the world wide web, even this site you will find literally hundreds of thousands of owners who absolutely hate the 6.0. Not to mention the number of people who work on them daily that have nothing but bad things to say about the 6.0

Sorry, but I wouldn't call adding to the list of complains about the 6.0 as "original content."

Please point me to another place where the 6.0 is used specifically for "expedition/adventure" or long range use. There are sure a lot of questions about Land Rovers here. Perhaps they should be asked on other Land Rover forums only. Or what about Sportsmobiles? There is a specific forum for that too. Shoot, there's probably a specific forum for Pelican Cases as well.

If you don't have anything to contribute, please quit trolling in my thread.:)

longjohn

Observer
Please point me to another place where the 6.0 is used specifically for "expedition/adventure" or long range use. There are sure a lot of questions about Land Rovers here. Perhaps they should be asked on other Land Rover forums only. Or what about Sportsmobiles? There is a specific forum for that too. Shoot, there's probably a specific forum for Pelican Cases as well.

If you don't have anything to contribute, please quit trolling in my thread.:)

well said

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
This kind of reminds me of that LR3 thread. So many people had so much trash to talk, but none of them actually had an LR3.

78Bronco

Explorer
If you search the world wide web, even this site you will find literally hundreds of thousands of owners who absolutely hate the 6.0. Not to mention the number of people who work on them daily that have nothing but bad things to say about the 6.0

Sorry, but I wouldn't call adding to the list of complains about the 6.0 as "original content."

After this post it is time for you to evolve your way out of here.

:victory:

I think you will have best success finding a truck made on a Wednesday. :smiley_drive:

Maintenance and intitial cost of a diesel is expensive and onlt worth the investment if towing and/or hauling a lot. That is where they shine. A gasser will perform all the jobs decently for less money and be cheaper.

Darwin

Explorer
Hi Steve,
Is there really that big of a difference in pulling power, mileage, maintenance, etc., between all the engines?
You searched expedition portal and the rest of the world wide web and you could not find any information about the 7.3/6.0 diesel engines pertaining to pulling power, mileage and maintenance?

A very quick and easy search would reveal literally weeks and week worth of reading information about these motors.

No trolling here.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I don't have much personal experience with the 7.3's but my father has a '99 F350 that he tows with comercially. He has over 600,000 miles on his and has never had the motor opened up. Only routine upkeep. The transmission is another story, I think he is on his 4th now. But still, hauling 28 foot trailers, it is getting a workout. He hops in it every week and drives across north America with no worries. He loves the open road. He is going to give it to me when he hits 1,000,000 miles on it he said. :Wow1:

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Ive got a 99 7.3 as well. Use it as my DD and to tow/haul when I need. Ive towed car haulers, 26ft trailers, 15,000 lbs dump trailers with no problem, and throw a pop-up camper on it for trips. Its has about 194,xxx miles and wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere. I do the routine maintenance, and get the tranny serviced every 30,000 miles. Had to replace the water pump about a month ago but no biggie. I am the 2nd owner and put about 70,000 of the miles on it personally.

I have also had many friends own the 6.0 with mixed results, but have personally picked multiple friends up cause their 6.0 was in the shop. Personally I wouldn't get a 6.0 because of all the stories and bad reviews.

Advice: If you get a 7.3, get an extra cam shaft positioning sensor. About $35 at Autozone. They go out on the 7.3's around 150,000 miles and your truck just plain wont start. It will turn until the battery dies but wont start.

Thats my 2 cents. Good Luck! :smiley_drive:
Paul

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
There's no way to get all of the facts, but I'd like to somehow see how modified 6.0's had failures.

I was lifting/building a LOT of trucks through the 7.3/6.0 era, and almost every one had some form of power device. The 6.0's came on the market at the peak of the industry. Truck after truck came into the shop, and almost all of them had some sort of power additions. The power was awesome, don't get me wrong. I loved driving them! But I quickly learned that the power wasn't worth the headaches. That's why my 6.0 has stayed stock.

chasespeed

Explorer
Well, the breakages I am aware of with Power Adders, and 6leakers, is head gaskets, due to bead bolt stretching/failure.

Otherwise, it was electronic issues....

Chase

Wow! You guys with the 7.3 have gotten really great mileage! What's the secret? I had a 2000 EC F-350 with the 7.3 and a 2003 CC F-250 with the 7.3 and I got around 15-17 on the high end... I see from your sigs that some have mods and some don't. The 7.3 is a workhorse of a motor but in my case not much of a fuel sipper.

78Bronco

Explorer
Hi Steve,

You searched expedition portal and the rest of the world wide web and you could not find any information about the 7.3/6.0 diesel engines pertaining to pulling power, mileage and maintenance?

A very quick and easy search would reveal literally weeks and week worth of reading information about these motors.

No trolling here.

Maybe the OP prefers to read opinions on this forum because he trusts the people that contribute to this forum over others.

Yep your the troll today:ylsmoke:

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Well, the breakages I am aware of with Power Adders, and 6leakers, is head gaskets, due to bead bolt stretching/failure.

Otherwise, it was electronic issues....

Chase

Maybe the OP prefers to read opinions on this forum because he trusts the people that contribute to this forum over others.

Yep your the troll today:ylsmoke:

Well, I have to admit that Chase's comments above do contribute to the thread. And he is correct (I did take his advice and search the web). Most of the issues, other than what he stated, does seem to be electrical. But then again, I drive Land Rovers so I am used to electrical gremlins. I also seem to recall that Land Rover was owned by Ford at one point. Perhaps Land Rover spread some of their LUCAS love to Ford during that time period. (For those of you not familiar with LUCAS, it is the dark lord that haunts Land Rovers with little electrical issues that seem to have no source, remedy, or worldly explanation.):bike_rider:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles