10-09-30_ (3).JPG

And my Expedition Trailer,
11-01-30_ (27).JPG :sombrero:

D

Deleted member 9101

I can almost smell the shelter half's....lol

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
is the trailer necessary when you've got that much bed space?

Yes, the trailer is a fuel gathering/processing/storage set up. It also caries a bunch of camp things.
We run long distances over weeks, or months, w/ two big trucks and this is what keeps them fueled.
11-01-29_ (12).JPG

It sure beats having to buy diesel :wings: And it doesn't really affect the mileage. :sombrero: I can also leave it in camp and use the truck for working odd transport type gigs.
11-02-09 (4).JPG

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Wow, those are some cool ex military rigs you are running there Low. Can you give us the details about what motor you have in them, what they cost you, and any other info that you would like to share. I have allways been impressed with those 6by6 trucks and was wondering what they are like in the bush and difficult terrain. Post some pics in the thread too. I love pics!:rockon:

TKSC01

Adventurer
Bob that bad boy

I love the Duece but I say Bob it! Then throw some 52" tires with HEMMT bead locks and call it a day! You need HUNDY!

Last edited:

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
After driving them in a wide variety of situations I would not give up the tandem axles. Trade that for a standard "hop up and down" set up . . . no way. What would I gain . . . three foot of length cut out of the bed . . . some weight lost . . . a rear end that won't articulate in the same way? NO THANKS!
We use these more like real Expo rigs, ie. long month, or two, or more trips. Don't see how bobbing it would be to any benefit. I will go to 47's like we are doing on the M109, which we did get mod'ed HEMTT rims fore. And Hundy . . . he live not far from us and is who we get tires from.

Have you ever driven these trucks in both configs? Is there anything that you think makes the "over sized 4x4" version better in your opinion? Or is this just a case of "Bigger/Badder is Better"?

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
Specs

Wow, those are some cool ex military rigs you are running there Low. Can you give us the details about what motor you have in them, what they cost you, and any other info that you would like to share. I have allways been impressed with those 6by6 trucks and was wondering what they are like in the bush and difficult terrain. Post some pics in the thread too. I love pics!:rockon:

It's running the stock mil spec 465LT, turbo'd (turbo is NOT for more power, it's so you don't smoke out the world on climbs) Mine (the M35) had 136 miles on the engine when I got it a year ago. Still getting it broken in :sombrero: Her M109 has only 28K on it's engine.
Both of them we got for around 2K each, but that's because I was willing to get them at the Gov auction and fix whatever was wrong w/ them. Mine had air leaks and her's had a bad tranny.

People talk about "Bobbing" them to make them 4x4, I think that is a waste of what the rear axles can do.10-10-18_ (8).JPG

Right now we are on move w/ both of them, and the trailer. Doing as much dirt track as we can find between points. I've not yet found something that they won't do well (I'm sure that I will) except tight turns and narrow canyons (and bobbing it wouldn't really help much).
You can follow us here 6x6 Trip
11-01-30_ (13).JPG 11-01-30_ (14).JPG

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the info about your 6by6 trucks Low. 2K for a unit like that sounds extremely inexpensive. Are they easy to register and insure? What kind of mileage can you get out of them? Are they 2.5 or 5 ton? I have so many questions. Here is a link to a company selling those trucks for 16K plus. so it seems like you got a wicked deal.
http://boyceequipment.com/
Is the trailer you are using for processing fat into a usable fuel? Please give us more pics and some details about the your cool trucks. Maybe you can give me an idea of the total cost including repairs on one of those units. I could be interested in a purchasing one.:ar15:

Hawkz

Adventurer
I would buy one of these if I had some place to park it. My HOA would probably kick me out... :elkgrin:

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
Thanks for the info about your 6by6 trucks Low. 2K for a unit like that sounds extremely inexpensive. Are they easy to register and insure? What kind of mileage can you get out of them? Are they 2.5 or 5 ton? I have so many questions. Here is a link to a company selling those trucks for 16K plus. so it seems like you got a wicked deal.
http://boyceequipment.com/
Is the trailer you are using for processing fat into a usable fuel? Please give us more pics and some details about the your cool trucks. Maybe you can give me an idea of the total cost including repairs on one of those units. I could be interested in a purchasing one.:ar15:

If I was going to spend that much on a Deuce (they are 2 1/2 ton) I would expect them to wipe my azz afterward :Wow1: It looks like they are totally(?) rebuilt from the photos. (after read a bit on their site I'm sure the money is worth it . . . if you have a biz and just want to get one in the best shape for daily use.) I can't imagine spending more than 5K on a deuce (subject to change w/o notice), and that would be one that some one had bought from an action, changed all the fluids, checked all the basic mech stuff, made sure that it had GREAT tires, and was complete (troop seat sides, bows, tarp). You can add another 1 - 1 1/2K for a winch set-up.
But then I want to get close and personal w/ my rigs. I plan on taking them places that I need to get out of myself. No matter what goes wrong.

As far as reg & insuring, insuring can be a challenge. There are a few companies that will insure w/o probs . . . others are def NO. Reg'ing can also be a challenge. The M109 is reg'ed in Cali and they want you to have a CDL because it's over a certain weight & has 3 axles. We got around that by reg'ing it as a "Historic" to start w/, that gave us a "real" title (the mil does not have a title that they give you . . . just a receipt sort of thing), but we were really restricted by how we could use it. We could do parades and go to "Club" events, that kind of thing, BUT NO hauling 10 sheets of ply from HDept.
We then spent some time deciding what we wanted to do w/ the inside. We knew that we were going to turn it into a "Live-In" rig ( it's one of the things I do :sombrero:). No reason to rush that. And taking time to get to know the "Beast" is important. There's a Build Thread here; Spacial Transformations
It's not finished, the thread, or the rig. So that gave us time to start the build, get in all the things that were required for MH status, and get it re-reg'ed as a "Motor Home". Now we do NOT need a CDL :ylsmoke:

Mine, I'm a `Zonar. Here in arizina it's just a historic vehicle. Not to hard, you just have to KNOW what is needed before you go in to the DMV . . . because they don't!

Mileage has been between 6 1/2mpg, the M109 pulling the trailer (around 2 ton loaded), climbing the passes in the Eastern Sierras, w/ the rig being all colic`y from having a tank of bad fuel. To 10 1/2mpg w/ my rig empty, on pavment, doing a short run from Parker to Blyth (about 50 miles) so that I could get back on dirt. :smiley_drive:

I do watch the auctions for some other people that I know. They are wanting to be able to fly down and drive one back home. It's up to me to find a good one and give it a once over to make sure it's in "decent" shape. There is a site not far from our place in Cali that they action from. I get to go see them in person, stick my head under them, and other such things.
If you're really interested PM me.

I've also got a Photo Blog of our Adventure right now. 400 miles into it, on as much dirt as we can find. Will be in motion again in a couple weeks.

Here's a few photos of mine from pick up on site, to the unloading of the "shelter" and starting to get it's rep as the "little Draggin` ".
10-05-04_03.JPG 10-05-05_ (9).JPG

10-06-11_ (25).JPG 10-06-13_ (5).JPG 10-06-17_ (53).JPG

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Low, that is just an awesome rig. I am sure I am not the only one who thinks so. Can you tell me about the advantages of running single rear tires?:1888fbbd:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles