68 Holiday Rambler Build

So a friend calls me one day and tells me his Neighbor is selling an old camper and I should come check it out. I have been wanting a truck camper for a while since my wife and I go on 4x4 trips and we like to have a comfortable place to sleep. Well the camper was in ok shape and the guy sold it to us for $400. I like unique things and I enjoy fixing and modifying things so I thought this was a great investment.

The Camper is a 1968 Holiday Rambler. The moment I saw it I loved the cool old style of it!

Attachments

• 005 (2).JPG
    005 (2).JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 322
  • 070.JPG
    070.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
After thinking about how I was going to rebuild the truck camper and all I could think of was getting it off grid as much as possible. So the rv will have to have a large battery bank, low amp usage, led lights, a way to charge the batteries, so on and on and on.....

My wife and I are planning a trip to Alaska over a 6 month period towing our off road truck and taking our time seeing the US and Canada along the way.
We have been out west a few time and want to spend some time in that part of the country.

We want to be able to live out of our RV for about 6 months. Any suggestions would be great.

Here is the beginning of the build thread. I started about 6 Months ago.

The camper had some rot so the interior came out and I rebuilt the subfloor.
I insultated the floor with 2 layers of R-3 Foam board.

Attachments

• resize 2.jpg
    resize 2.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 176
  • resize 3.jpg
    resize 3.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 163
  • resize 4.jpg
    resize 4.jpg
    471.3 KB · Views: 151
Got some windows Resealed and started working on the exteriorsome. Also installed the New 6 Gallon Suburban Water heater and Coleman Mach series A/C.

Attachments

• resize 5.jpg
    resize 5.jpg
    540.7 KB · Views: 164
  • resize 7.jpg
    resize 7.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 141
  • resize 6.jpg
    resize 6.jpg
    735.2 KB · Views: 160
I'm using 2 Energy 1 AGM batteries and MS2812 Magnum Charger/Inverter with remote. I plan on putting a couple 125 watt solar panels on the roof. The batteries have 370 ah of storage. These are the best Batteries I could find in such a small package.

Attachments

• resize 8.jpg
    resize 8.jpg
    661.1 KB · Views: 116
  • resize 9.jpg
    resize 9.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 105
Rebuilt the kitchen counter top and seating area. The original cushions are in great shape.

Attachments

• resize 11.jpg
    resize 11.jpg
    845.7 KB · Views: 211
  • resize 12.jpg
    resize 12.jpg
    777.5 KB · Views: 215

35thAV

Wow you're moving right along on that! It looks like a nice camper for a big roadtrip. Probably a bit heavy for off road use but looks good on the big Dodge.

Got the gray water tank installed with new dump valves. There was some Rot under the rear floor board to I replaced the wood while installing the grey water tank.

Attachments

• resize grey water tank 1.jpg
    resize grey water tank 1.jpg
    645.4 KB · Views: 99
  • resize grey water tank 2.jpg
    resize grey water tank 2.jpg
    484.6 KB · Views: 97
Thanks for all the great comments. I have been busy getting all the basics completed.

Got the carpet installed, the table base rebuilt and carpeted , the step for the bed built.

We picked the green accent color to keep with the 60's theme.

Attachments

• resize carpet.jpg
    resize carpet.jpg
    544.8 KB · Views: 80
  • resize step for bed.jpg
    resize step for bed.jpg
    829.7 KB · Views: 81
  • resize table base.jpg
    resize table base.jpg
    862.4 KB · Views: 81
The counter top was ruined so started over. I will be covering the counter top with either this stainless steel or laminate. The oven/stove was in great shape. I just painted some of the rough trim with our green accent color.

I replaced all the old water and propane plumbing.

Attachments

• resize oven.jpg
    resize oven.jpg
    585.2 KB · Views: 88
  • resize counter top 2.jpg
    resize counter top 2.jpg
    472 KB · Views: 77
  • resize counter top.jpg
    resize counter top.jpg
    625.3 KB · Views: 83
Got the LED lights in.

The kitchen has 2 different lighting options. The 36 LED fixture (pulls .12 amps) and the low light 6 single LED ( total .04 amp).

Attachments

• resize kitchen led.jpg
    resize kitchen led.jpg
    532.1 KB · Views: 61
  • resize kitchen low light.jpg
    resize kitchen low light.jpg
    589 KB · Views: 61
  • resize kitchen low led.jpg
    resize kitchen low led.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 65

Forum statistics

Threads