67 Scout 800 build ideas

98dango

Expedition Leader
So I have had this scout for almost 6 years now. I have built 3 other scouts since I bought this one and probably 8 other trucks. I'm finally in the this scout has to be built mode. I have have my Super Duty for long range trips. I had planned to build a rock buggies and then life happens. A tip to see my best friend for the last 23 years has my wife and I moving to the coast. So a buggy just ain't doing it and I love this scout. As it sits right now is 90% stock and clean. No motor it originally had a 266 v8. I don't have a Ih motor and really think I'd be light years ahead by swapping in some more modern gear. What I am after is a good driver I hate to use this term but a Jeep. I can get hear 1 of 2 ways my first plan was to cut up my dodge and used it all in this scout . But I kinda like it.

62971ac202727e7814cccdea7a0fd928.jpg

So I got to thinking I have a good Toyota front with high steering and all that. I also have a complete 1999 2wd s10 blazer 4.3 with a 4l60e I'm not much of an auto guy. From my reading the Toyota and scout are the same Wms 55" I also have a kit that will make it 58" if need be . What I'm after is 35s and able to do alot of trails. Not a full crawler some thing g fun to drive take the top off.

70IHScout800A_4.jpg

Some thing along those lines.

Hear is what I'm wondering would a vortec 4.3 with a Sm465 Np205 and say 4:11 gears be enough for this rig.

wesfab1

Goin' Commando
4.3l fuel injected is a great motor. I just did the swapped the sbc out in favor of the 4.3. I was worried it wouldn't be enough motor during the swap, my jeepster is a tank. Everything worked out better than expected.

I'm running the 4.3L out of a 2004 silverado mated to a th350/np205 in my jeep with 3.73 scout 800 axles on 35s. 4:10s would be perfect as the jeep seems a bit sluggish on big hills in 2hi

98dango

Expedition Leader
I thank you I would think a commando and my scout 800 would be about the same size and weight.

wesfab1

Goin' Commando
I'd be willing to bet my jeep is heavier.

I've had a few scouts and even a travelall. I have to say that I've never really been impressed with an IHC engine.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Ya I had a 76 travelall and 3 scout II And none impressed me with power. They where damn reliable drove one home with 2 rods hanging out the block.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
What about the 392? I had a 392 in a 78 Scout II and that thing hauled butt. I could burn rubber anywhere. I think it was 3.73 geared.

But they are very difficult to work on.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Yeah that's also true. I used to have a yard with about 20 scouts (No Joke) that I would grab parts from all the time. Scouts used to be very very cheap so my dad and I would pick one up if they were cheap and use them for parts.

I love your 800. Looks like a beast. I have a 69 SR-II that has been sitting on my side yard for about 3 years now. Rebuilt the motor and rear end. Has a 4 speed and when I parked it it ran great. I wanted to do a spring over but lost interest.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Ya the blue one is not mine but what I want mine to look like. I have never paid more than $600 for any IH product.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
haha $600 sounds about right.

My bad, thought it was yours. Are you going to go the SOA route?

98dango

Expedition Leader
I'm going the Toyota route so soa YJ and S10 springs on Toyota axles with a votec 4.3 4 speed and 205 case.

98dango

Expedition Leader
85769813a81ef7bb87c9786ceb0f014c.jpg

And it will have the ever rare sport top

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Awesome man. Make sure to post a build thread. Love seeing IH Overland vehicles. I wish I had the fab skills to do all that metal work. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles