67-79 F250 with modern engine swap is 15+ mpg possible?

Clutch

<---Pass
i'm thinking i'll ultimately get a sturdy shell and put an RTT and roof rack on it.

Thought of a RTT mounted on the cab...though the thing I liked about the Wildernest was being able to change clothes inside standing up, that and the wife isn't too keen going up and down the ladder. Was considering a Flip Pac, but it gets cold up here, plan hitting the Pacific Northwest and Western Canada a bunch too...the big complaint I read about the Flip Pacs is not being wet friendly...as they never get a chance to dry when you collapse them. Even in AZ I had trouble with mold building up on the Wildernest. So that is why a hard top pop-up makes more sense.

Will the older FWC fit? I see some on 80's trucks...were the wheel wells the same as the 70's trucks?

Last edited:

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
Will the older FWC fit? I see some on 80's trucks...were the wheel wells the same as the 70's trucks?
just to clarify, only my body style (140" wb 2wd) has the goofy bed with the spare tire bulge. 4WC's fit fine in most of these trucks, I just didn't take the shape of the underside of the 4WC into account until I had my eyes really set on one.

the single cab roof is pretty small, and my roof is very rusty right now. no way could it support. I might just build a nice beefy baja style head ache rack and put an RTT up there, and use the bed as my "deck/patio". sure, those diesel pushers have slide outs...but how many get to take a patio with them :D

Conundrum

Observer
Thought this pic might fit in this thread. Someday I'd love to put a transfer case in my '76 and change out the 460 to a 6bt. My grandpa bought the '76 new and the camper in the '00 at the same time. My dad bought it from him in the early 90s. My dad passed a couple years ago. It has about 78k on the clock now. The camper is pretty sweet but getting old and stuff was starting to break so I sold it. I kept the truck and will have it for a long time. I also have a built up fzj80 and have been considering selling the 7.3 and getting a newer Tundra or F150. It's been a tough decision for awhile. I think I'll watch this thread for a couple months before choosing a vehicle direction. I guess there are worse problems to have than having a Landcruiser, 7.3, and cool old Ford in the driveway.

asset.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
any progress get made on this clutch?

I also have a built up fzj80 and have been considering selling the 7.3 and getting a newer Tundra or F150. It's been a tough decision for awhile. I think I'll watch this thread for a couple months before choosing a vehicle direction. I guess there are worse problems to have than having a Landcruiser, 7.3, and cool old Ford in the driveway.

I did find a potential truck, but I really don't want another project what comes down to.

I am going to buy a new(er) truck...something I don't have to fuss with. There is so much to explore here, I am having a hard time wanting to be at home, let alone wrenching in the garage.

What that new truck is going to be, I haven't a clue. They all seem nice to me. Silverado and F150 are tied, then a Tundra...perhaps I'll just get another Tacoma...who knows?

Hope your back is doing better these days.

They make hush kits for the 6BT Cummins and the 4BT (valve cover wrap, turbo blankets, oil pan blanket that really settle things down if you don't want a truck that sounds like a truck).

I got consistent 17mpg with my 5.9 Cummins running 37's and 6" lift. Currently getting 14mpg with a worn Cummins motor, lots of blow by, and 41" tires on heavy steel wheels.

A 4BT would be a great 400hp swap that should get close to 20mpg and last 300,000+ miles.

Clutch

<---Pass
Hope your back is doing better these days.

Thanks, it is. A few months ago I couldn't walk no more than a mile...last week I was up in the Sawtooths and hiked 13 miles...doesn't sound like much, but huge for what it used to be. It isn't 100%, but good enough I think I can do some mild dirt bike riding.

They make hush kits for the 6BT Cummins and the 4BT (valve cover wrap, turbo blankets, oil pan blanket that really settle things down if you don't want a truck that sounds like a truck).

I got consistent 17mpg with my 5.9 Cummins running 37's and 6" lift. Currently getting 14mpg with a worn Cummins motor, lots of blow by, and 41" tires on heavy steel wheels.

A 4BT would be a great 400hp swap that should get close to 20mpg and last 300,000+ miles.

Thanks for the recommendations. We have been here in Idaho for over a year now...it is the land of the diesel truck. Think that is the way to go for this truck.

I am trying to avoid surgery for the back, but will we see. Truck project is on hold for a bit until I see how the back does.

Last edited:

eggman918

Adventurer
The 4BT is the best fit in the Bump/Dent side Fords In the early '90's the 4BT/ZF5 was the factory power train in Brazilian Ford F series trucks.
400hp is possible from a 4BT ....but that is pushing it to the extreme 225/250 HP and 400/500 ft/lbs is very doable my 4BT is ~225/450 range numbers derived from fuel/boost and lack of smoke so the same as the first of the 5.9 24V 6BT's and those numbers make my 8,000# '68 F-250 crewcab 4x4 very capable of doing a good days work as well as fun to drive averaging 19/20 mpg empty and 16/17 towing this at 5,000' elevation. Those numbers are with a 250,000 mile 4BT and a VE pump, stock injectors and a single HE221w6cm turbo with a large inter cooler......nothing fancy no trick parts and fueled to where I never see 1,200* on the EGT gauge.The 4BT shakes a bit more than the 390 at or just off idle but at speed it's not much louder than the 390 was with headers and free flowing exhaust.On the trails the 4BT really shines it will chug along at 1300/1600 rpm over fairly rough terrain effortlessly going through places that with the 390 would have required more throttle and shifting,the 4BT was hands down the best thing I have done to my F-250 in the 25 years I've owned it!!
Just my two cents.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
We have been here in Idaho for over a year now...it is the land of the diesel truck. Think that is the way to go for this truck. .

Where in Idaho are you? I'm in Bayview right now, getting a Merc OM606 (video above) put into my 2007 Wrangler.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier

Members online