dem17.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 62
  • dem18.jpg
    dem18.jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

zzz150

Adventurer
Dempster. Getting to this point reminds me that getting gas was not as simple as pulling up to the pump like most of us expect. I waited for gas for almost 45mins along the Dempster and both times I got fuel at the start of the Dempster (on the way up then coming back off of the hwy) I had problems with the credit card machine.. The conditions along the Dempster were constantly changing, from really smooth driving to almost getting bounced off the road holes and bumps, and some slick sections. There were several section where maintenance was being performed also.

Attachments

• dem19.jpg
    dem19.jpg
    533.8 KB · Views: 47
  • dem22.jpg
    dem22.jpg
    464.2 KB · Views: 46
  • dem23.jpg
    dem23.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

OttawaXJ

Observer
Great trip report. Always nice to see fellow Ontarians out traveling the way we do. I would caution you from bringing firewood out of a localized area, not sure if you're aware but we(canadians) have been having problems with invasive species of bugs being spread in this way that are ravaging tree populations. Here in ottawa they cut down hundreds of trees because of some tree disease that was brought here they believe by firewood

zzz150

Adventurer
Great trip report. Always nice to see fellow Ontarians out traveling the way we do. I would caution you from bringing firewood out of a localized area, not sure if you're aware but we(canadians) have been having problems with invasive species of bugs being spread in this way that are ravaging tree populations. Here in ottawa they cut down hundreds of trees because of some tree disease that was brought here they believe by firewood

Collecting firewood was a daily thing, which meant the wood never made it more than a couple hundred km's as most days I didn't put on too much daily mileage as things got more interesting. Keep in mind I was sleeping in the back of my truck, and it was my kitchen too, which meant not filling it with a bunch of crap wood for days at a time worth of campfires.

zzz150

Adventurer
Tuktoyaktuk. Myself and a couple women from Switzerland went for a quick swim in the Arctic Ocean. They stayed in longer than me, which was still probably less than a minute. It had to be done.

Attachments

• tuk5.jpg
    tuk5.jpg
    536.2 KB · Views: 85
  • tuk4.jpg
    tuk4.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 79
  • tuk1.jpg
    tuk1.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 85
  • tuk7.jpg
    tuk7.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 141
  • tuk8.jpg
    tuk8.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 85
  • tuk9.jpg
    tuk9.jpg
    547.9 KB · Views: 76

OttawaXJ

Observer
Collecting firewood was a daily thing, which meant the wood never made it more than a couple hundred km's as most days I didn't put on too much daily mileage as things got more interesting. Keep in mind I was sleeping in the back of my truck, and it was my kitchen too, which meant not filling it with a bunch of crap wood for days at a time worth of campfires.

My apologies. The way I read it is that you brought a small supply from your HOME for the nights when you wouldnt have any.

Sleam

Explorer
Okay, so I've only read the first page so far but you got me with the photos and saying your truck was pretty much the same as for camping a week. That's my kind of travel, for me a 4Runner, three dogs and sleeping/camping in the back. I can't wait to read more. Thanks!
sleam

DSC01952.jpg

zzz150

Adventurer
My apologies. The way I read it is that you brought a small supply from your HOME for the nights when you wouldnt have any.

No worries, wanted to clarify things though. I am very aware of the issues with moving wood too far from its origin. There were actually signs when entering Alberta & BC telling people to leave wood from outside of the Province outside of it.

The Ash tree issue in Ottawa got pretty widespread from what I recall of it.

zzz150

Adventurer
A couple shots of Inuvik. I have a lot of shots of the town, but none of the downtown area, outside of that there are more scrap yards and boarded up homes that I could have ever imagined before getting there.

Attachments

• inuvik7.jpg
    inuvik7.jpg
    577.8 KB · Views: 48
  • inuvik1.jpg
    inuvik1.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 47
  • inuvik2.jpg
    inuvik2.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 43
  • inuvik8.jpg
    inuvik8.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 43

zzz150

Adventurer
On the way back down the Dempster. There are a few truck accessible spots to camp just off the road but not many that I saw. I never saw this sign at the hart river road until the way back down on my way out, it is not posted on the main road, you would actually need to stop and get off the road to check out this nasty off-road track. There is one campsite up there that a basic 4x4 can get to on a stream, maybe 2km from the Hwy or so, but beyond that would be an event for a couple trucks at the least with all the mud at the time I was there. There were several atv's that had been up there as it was hunting season.

Attachments

• dem25.jpg
    dem25.jpg
    562.6 KB · Views: 66
  • dem24.jpg
    dem24.jpg
    555 KB · Views: 67
  • dem18.jpg
    dem18.jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 56
  • dempster27.jpg
    dempster27.jpg
    522 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

zzz150

Adventurer
On the way down towards Whitehorse I lucked out and met some great ppl that invited me to camp on their beach on Lk Laberge, was wonderful. Went out for a canoe on the big lake, was nice to get on the water for a bit. And the 2nd Lynx I spotted, this one had two kittens with her, she was not happy that we stopped.

Attachments

• yk13.jpg
    yk13.jpg
    587.1 KB · Views: 70
  • yk12.jpg
    yk12.jpg
    521 KB · Views: 73
  • yk10.jpg
    yk10.jpg
    522 KB · Views: 72
  • canoe2.jpg
    canoe2.jpg
    522.3 KB · Views: 86
  • lynx.jpg
    lynx.jpg
    567 KB · Views: 94
  • canoe.jpg
    canoe.jpg
    524.8 KB · Views: 80

zzz150

Adventurer
Camping and hiking outside whitehorse. Was really nice. Can you spot my truck in the last pic?!

Attachments

• yk15.jpg
    yk15.jpg
    527.2 KB · Views: 66
  • yk17.jpg
    yk17.jpg
    545.5 KB · Views: 55
  • yk16.jpg
    yk16.jpg
    578.5 KB · Views: 54
  • yk19.jpg
    yk19.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 60
  • yk21.jpg
    yk21.jpg
    566.6 KB · Views: 83
  • yk22.jpg
    yk22.jpg
    543.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

zzz150

Adventurer
On my way back down through BC I hit up the Liard Hot Springs again for a couple hours, from there it was on towards the NWT again. Here are shots of the three times I went into the NWT, 1st on the North Canol, 2nd on the Dempster and 3rd on hwy 77. The 1st entry via the North Canol was by far the most exciting being so isolated.

Attachments

• nwtborder1.jpg
    nwtborder1.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 59
  • nwtborder2.jpg
    nwtborder2.jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 49
  • nwtborder3.jpg
    nwtborder3.jpg
    622.7 KB · Views: 45

Forum statistics

Threads