65 days of Canada - 22000+km's

NOPEC

New rig hint for the trip!

We will travel to the NWT and ship the rig to Tuk, the overland by vehicle portion will be most interesting on the return from the Beaufort Sea ;-)

Trusty and wonderful four legged adventure partner is getting older but will be along for the Dehcho expedition!
Good Luck with your trip! We did the Dehcho by kayak, Hay River to Tuk in 2018. Let us know if you need any specifics. We are off to Gjoa Haven on King William Island in Nunavut next week to find the tomb of Captain Sir John Franklin, it has only been lost for about 175 years....so it is time!

We'll definitely have some Stan Rogers on board!!

Last edited:

zzz150

Adventurer
Well plans got tossed around and mixed up with the record low water on the Mackenzie and the fires so on the way up I went directly to Yukon and completed most of plan 'B'! My dog and I completed an 1100km canoe trip that started at Rose river #1 on the South Canol, to Nisultlin river, Teslin Lk, Teslin river, Yukon river to Dawson. It went very well, spent 28 nights living out of the canoe. Had I got onto the Mackenzie my truck would NOT have shipped!! The barges were not going past Norman Wells/Tulita area, essential items were being shipped by truck up the Dempster. I would have been very screwed. I had hoped to drive up the dempster and paddle from Inuvik to Tuk but with the timing and the Dempster on and off closures and Inuvik being on evacuation notice it just wasn't the right time. If something went wrong on the water a rescue would have been interesting.

The drive from Ontario to Whitehorse was quick but had me camping in acceptable spots most nights. It definitely sucked not having a cap on the Mojave and a sleeping system but it would have also sucked to take out all of the canoe tripping gear daily, it would have been more work.

I have a lot of pics and videos to go through and will get some up here!

One thing that made this trip very different is I had a passenger that flew to Whitehorse and drover my truck to Dawson who joined me on the North and South Canol roads and a bunch of other great areas through BC! This was not just any passenger but my 70yr old mother!! Very special trip :cool:

Made it well beyond the NWT border and beyond the pics where most ppl turn around at the rivers past the wild life check station. The road started to get really rough about 5km past my previous turn around, had a fender under water in one stream so it was about 45 inches deep at that point, a nice surprise as I had walked it 1st and it didn't seem so deep. Beyond there it was getting rocky and into 4WD low locked terrain.

Over the entire trip I covered about 14000km in the truck, issue free. The Mojave is very comfortable for a Jeep. I've got a 3/4 inch rear spacer, 1 inch front spacer, an adjustable pass through steering stabilizer, the Moper lift lower control arms and Falken AT3W 35's and a front differential cover to protect that low front point. Over the entire trip with the canoe on the roof and so much extra gear I finished with an average of 13.25L/100km, I was very impressed that the brick mobile did that. That number is after correcting for the tire size.

On the way back into Ontario my dog and I spent 2 weeks in Wabakimi, doing a different style of canoe trip.

One random thing that turned out funny was on the last trip we spent the 1st and last night in the same place and I fell asleep in the front seat of the truck and managed to repeat that this round haha.

Attachments

• Jeep.jpeg
    Jeep.jpeg
    555.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

zzz150

Adventurer
Some pics of places, mostly Yukon, Canol areas and a bit of BC!

Attachments

• exp8 - 1.jpeg
    exp8 - 1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • exp9 - 1.jpeg
    exp9 - 1.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 16
  • exp10 - 1.jpeg
    exp10 - 1.jpeg
    618 KB · Views: 15
  • exp11 - 1.jpeg
    exp11 - 1.jpeg
    835.7 KB · Views: 15
  • exp12 - 1.jpeg
    exp12 - 1.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 15
  • exp13 - 1.jpeg
    exp13 - 1.jpeg
    527.6 KB · Views: 15
  • exp14 - 1.jpeg
    exp14 - 1.jpeg
    911.8 KB · Views: 15
  • exp15 - 1.jpeg
    exp15 - 1.jpeg
    677.3 KB · Views: 20
  • exp16 - 1.jpeg
    exp16 - 1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • exp17 - 1.jpeg
    exp17 - 1.jpeg
    605.6 KB · Views: 24

zzz150

Adventurer
Moar!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-14 at 11.07.59 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-14 at 11.07.59 PM.png
    7.9 MB · Views: 23
  • exp7 - 1.jpeg
    exp7 - 1.jpeg
    531 KB · Views: 23
  • exp6 - 1.jpeg
    exp6 - 1.jpeg
    690.6 KB · Views: 25
  • exp5 - 1.jpeg
    exp5 - 1.jpeg
    701.4 KB · Views: 24
  • exp4 - 1.jpeg
    exp4 - 1.jpeg
    904.5 KB · Views: 20
  • exp3 - 1.jpeg
    exp3 - 1.jpeg
    714 KB · Views: 22
  • exp2 - 1.jpeg
    exp2 - 1.jpeg
    407.8 KB · Views: 23
  • exp1 - 1.jpeg
    exp1 - 1.jpeg
    492 KB · Views: 22

zzz150

Adventurer
Great memories, the entire Canol Rd has so much to offer, I could spend a couple of weeks on the side roads. The old mining areas have so much to offer those who have the right rig and are comfortable and competent drivers, I say this because some of the old washed-out shelf roads are scary and sketchy. My dog has always appreciated a good view to happily poo!

Last edited:

zzz150

Adventurer
OK, after reading how happy I was with the Mojave which one of you stole it???!!?!?!?! Sadly the Mojave was stolen just before xmas, I miss it. It is being replaced with a Rubicon XR so I will be ready for the next round.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles