60' Expedition Yacht

Jhartung

Hi folks,

A different kind of expedition vehicle here! In 2003, my dad and I built a 60' expedition yacht in steel, named Scout. The idea was a world-capable yacht with fishing boat-proven reliability, yacht comfort for weeks without resupply, that could be handled comfortably by a couple or a small family. Interior volume is cleverly maximized so that she feels more like a 70+ footer inside. We cruised her after launch for a number of years around Puget Sound and up the Inside Passage. Around 2013 we took her down to Mexico and added a bunch of ocean-going equipment and electronics for the trip.

She has about 3000 nautical miles of range between refueling, with 500 gallons of fresh water and a water maker to extend that indefinitely. A 20KW Northern Lights genset keeps all the equipment running off-grid, but 1.6KW (24V) of solar and a large battery bank (recently replaced) means you really don't need to run it most of the time. A John Deere 6081 diesel with 330HP moves her through the water at about 8.5 knots and a Hundasted controllable pitch gear/prop combo keeps things efficient. Wesmar 25HP hydraulic bow thruster helps with maneuvering. We've run her up and down the Pacific Coast for about 7-10 days continuous with no issues and great comfort due to the hydraulic stabilizer fins that keep rolling under control. Dual chart plotters, radars, about 9 GPS systems, SSB and VHF radios, AIS system, FLIR PTZ camera and more keep this gal on track and safe in any condition.

Inside she has a full cherry interior with three staterooms. The main deck has the main stateroom which doubles as an office for remote workers, private head (bath), and cedar-lined closet. The galley is nicer than most homes with inductive cook top, double door stainless fridge, dishwasher, and trash compactor (trash can add up during long voyages). We'll even throw in a single group espresso machine! Below decks are two more staterooms, one with a bunk bed and the other with a full. A head with front loading laundry machines keeps everyone smelling as they should. Also below decks is the engine room, which is full standing height, and a lazarette area with lots of storage for bikes and other gear.

Happy to give complete details if someone is serious, but suffice it to say this ship with take you pretty much anywhere in the world in comfort and style. If you're used to expedition trucks, you'll find this a massive step up in liveable space with an entirely new type of exploration available to you! My dad has now relocated to a vineyard in Chile and I'm settled in Idaho, so neither of us has enough reason to use this beautiful vessel the way we built her to. We'd love to see her go to someone who will continue her journey.

Currently docked in freshwater in Portland, OR. $699,000. Open to trades for expedition vehicles, property, or ???. Can arrange delivery worldwide.
Scout @ Princess Louisa 4.jpg
Scout - Stbd Profile 4.jpg
P1010035.JPG
P1010045.JPG
P1010040.JPG
P1010050.JPG
DSCF4878.JPG
Scout Underway - Sea of Cortez.jpg
P1010013.JPG

Attachments

• P1010015.JPG
    P1010015.JPG
    419.5 KB · Views: 1,120
Last edited:

Superduty

Adventurer
Do/did you and your dad have a yacht mfg company?

Looks like a beautiful boat for an amateur build.

Looked at the pics again....amazing yacht. Looks so roomy add spacious inside and out.

GLWS

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Dang.....not only beautiful and cool vessel but the fact you and your dad built it...clearly someone or two in your family is a professional.

gdaut

Wow. That is beautiful. I have dreamed of getting a motor trawler to serve as a mothership/base camp for sea kayaking, but this takes it to an entire other level. What is the draft?

Jhartung

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

@Superduty Thanks a lot! Probably more on the professional end than my post would indicate. We built this with the intention of a spec-built boat to compete with Nordhavn. We had a crew of 4 professional woodworkers on the interior plus myself and my dad. At the time I was a professional electrician and did all the systems and my father had formerly founded a large marine distribution company and designed the whole thing with the help of marine architect Rick Etsell. The steel work and mechanicals were done by a yard called Metalcraft Marine, but we worked alongside them during the multi-year project.

@gdaut she was designed for minimum draft, so she'll do about 7' 6" in a pinch. 8' to be safe. Huge swim step on the aft deck was designed for easy on/off of a tender and top deck would be an excellent place for kayaks :)

Jhartung

Thanks folks! One thing I was thinking this morning - this boat is big enough for a family of four or five to live on full time. In fact my family considered this before we moved away from Portland. If you're thinking about the full time adventuring life, this is a really comfortable way to get started. You still have all the comforts of a home, a bit smaller, but it can go 3000 miles in any direction!

adam88

Explorer
Oh my god. This is awesome. As soon as I saw it I thought "Looks like a Nordhavn" which are awesome boats. If anything, this looks way better though, much nicer layout. The nordhavn layouts suck. That engine room is nice. Really love this. If I was closer to retirement I would buy it!

Jhartung

@adam88 Funny we felt the exact same way. Nordhavn's are wonderful boats, but they have a few issues for worldwide travel - poor layout really makes them seem smaller than they are and we wanted the durability and repair-ability of steel when voyaging in remote areas. This is built on the hull design of a 58' limit-seiner and has a really consistent, gentle roll which is helped by the stabilizers and 72 tons of weight. Nordhavn's will often have a more snappy roll that can get uncomfortable during long periods in the ocean.

Jhartung

2500 gallons currently, with an additional 500 gallon tank in the bow that is unused but plumbed and ready for tankage.

That is a seriously cool yacht! love the lay out. way out of my price range, but dam thats awesome. and did you say 8.5knots top speed? i just wanna make sure i read that right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online