6 THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT FCC CHANGES FOR FRS AND GMRS RADIOS

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
Thank you for posting this MidlandUSA!

Glad the FCC is making changes to the FRS/GMRS rules. 2 watts on FRS will be plenty without having the confusion of the GMRS channels being used without a license. I've always found the whole thing to be unnecessarily confusing.

Plus, a up to 50 watt GMRS mobile with a 10 year $75 license is a really great thing. Loads of range, very clear audio, and best of all is that a company like MidlandUSA must submit their radios to the FCC for testing. So you know you are getting a type accepted radio that does not sound like garbage!

Edit to add: would be really REALLY nice if the FCC allowed removable antennas on FRS radios. Adding even a longer whip antenna to the handhelds would be a vast improvement for range.

Last edited:

sonoronos

Usually broken down on the side of the road
Do you have any actual first-hand charts or measurements quantifying these "terrible transmit characteristics", along with the specific unit tested?

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
Outside of some published arrl testing, my first hand experience with many lesser quality radios have been less than impressive. During conversations with fellow amateur radio operators, the transmit and receive has been substandard.

I’m not going to dig around the internet and provide you links. But I also am not going to sling mud, so I went ahead and completely deleted the comment. One thing I will stand on is that there is a large misunderstanding among radio users as to legality of operation on certain channels/ frequencies with or without a license. This includes frs/GMRS and ham radio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94