6-person tent for high heat and rain? (REI basecamp 6 is cooking us)

zimm17

Observer
I like to have "the best" that isn't crazy priced. I did tons of research and splurged on a $450 REI basecamp 6 and the $50 footprint. It's a very well made tent with top spec aluminum poles, etc. My issue is that I live in Miami and camping down here (I got home today from 3 days/2 nights) requires not only max ventilation but also being rain proof.

What do you guys recommend? It must have aluminum poles (I hate fiberglass) and be vented while being rain proof.

After fighting my tent at 1am during a downpour, I was trying to unclip the rolled up vestibule door because it was raining in the window. What a terrible design flaw. Oh the door zipper has a stop at the top center, so once I got one side un clipped, I had to run the zippers all the way around to get my arm out the other side. Can't have the rain fly open at all on one side and be rain proof. I had 2 wet kids, 3 wet sleeping blankets and pillows. Plus it must be 110 degrees inside during a 90 degree sunny day.

Littlehouse

Adventurer
I’ve heard good things about Kodiak canvas VX series tents. Will be getting one this week. I’ve seen some pretty cool insulated tents, but they are big bucks.

D

Deleted member 9101

Just take one of those portable A/C units with you. I did it for years so I could camp in the summer.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I ❤️ My basecamp tent. Been using for 8 years, hot, cold, rain and snow, never an issue. It has pop up vents up top and the fly/vestibule works great. Are you using it right?

zimm17

Observer
Have you camped in the summer in Miami? The problem with the base camp is that I can't figure out how to have the back side vestibule (the one without the extra pole) open to allow airflow, yet be rain proof. With the center of the vestibule rolled up, it rained all into my tent and there's no easy way to roll it down from inside the tent without getting soaked. The main vestibule with the pole holding the hood out stayed dry.

Can't run an A/C, I'm camping with cub scouts in a field.

IMG_9731.jpg

ottsville

Observer
Looks like your fly should be staked out better/ tighter to keep it up off the tent and allow airflow all around. Probably won't solve your problem but will help.

slascalza

Have you looked into OzTent? They are very well made and have a huge rear window and you don't have to have the rainfly in order for it to be waterproof.

zimm17

Observer
I love the OZ-tent and checked them out at the Vermont Overland Rally (neighbor had one). But, the package is about 6' long and there's no way to fit it in the Jeep with a family of 4 without a roof rack. I park in a garage with zero extra headroom.

CCH

Adventurer
Your fly should be guyed out so that it is pulled away from the tent. There are places that allow ventilation all around that tent, but won't if the fly is lying flat against the tent itself. You one on each side just above those orange triangles that would be a good start. Any that allow you to pull the fly away from the tent will help. Right now it's functioning almost like a single wall tent once you shut that vestibule door.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I think your problem is the INNER tent, not the fly. The best design for a tent that's waterproof on all sides but has good ventilation is: (1) An inner tent that has as much mesh as possible. The REI Base Camp 6 has a limited amount of mesh in the doors and almost none in the ends. I'm not surprised this is really hot. (2) A fly that extends fairly far out from the tent on all 4 sides for air flow. On the Base Camp if you have WIND with rain, you're forced to close up all of your ventilation points, which is stifling.

Some suggestions:
Kelty Trail Ridge 6: https://www.backcountryedge.com/kel...MIpa_UvO3U3QIVb7XtCh3HYQLUEAAYAiAAEgIt6vD_BwE

Two Kelty Trail Ridge 3s would be a lot easier to set up: https://www.backcountryedge.com/kelty-trail-ridge-3-w-footprint.html If the kids are young enough you might get by with one 3P (for you and one kid) and 1 2P (for 2 kids).

When you stake out the ends, pull them out as far as possible.

Bottom line: tents are hot in the summer. Even the mesh with no fly is hot. Not a place to spend the day when it's 90 degrees. Putting 4 bodies in the tent makes it hotter. Your fan seems like a good idea.

CCH

Adventurer
[QUOTE="When you stake out the ends, pull them out as far as possible.

Bottom line: tents are hot in the summer. Even the mesh with no fly is hot. Not a place to spend the day when it's 90 degrees. Putting 4 bodies in the tent makes it hotter. Your fan seems like a good idea.[/QUOTE]

This, but I’d try setting yours up for as much ventilation as possible before buying another.

dcg141

Adventurer
I live and camp in Mississippi. Canvas tents breath better and stay cooler in humid climates. That being said..shade is your friend as are fans. I have 12v and 110v fans and keep a small generator to run the 110's. Heavy rain along with heat is hard to overcome. The OZ tent as far as I know is the only ground tent designed to have the windows open when it rains. Much like the windows on a RTT. The major flaw in tent design are those rain flys. They just don't breath well in hot humid conditions. One thing I used to do was pitch a tarp and put the tent underneath wo the rain fly on. It works good with smaller tents. Never tired it with larger ones. Most of the scouts around here use the Eureka Timberline outfitter 6. Its an older design but the fly leaves the ends open with an overhang. that allows you to zip the doors down as far as rain will permit. All the way in light rain and partial in heavy.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior