6.8 Triton experiences

Chorky

Observer
Looking to see if anyone has any suggestions on this engine. It's in a 04 chinook that I am looking at. I'm unfamiliar with this engine - wish it was a diesel instead but that can change later. Any major issues with these??

86scotty

Cynic
Lots and lots in the van section and SMB Forum.

I’ve had 2-3. Phenomenal, especially if it’s an 05 or newer with the 5r110, but they stopped making Chinooks in 05 I think.

Expect 10-11 mpg and virtually no maintenance. Try that last part with a diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 9101

My uncle had one in his RV. 130k with zero issues. Just oil changes and belts and hoses at 100k. Had plenty of power and ran smooth amd quiet.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Yep. Know a guy with one of those in an F550 flatbed that's always overloaded - yet's he's turned over 400,000 trouble free miles so far.

Mine has only 66,000 miles on it so far but also so far nothing but oil and filter changes done to it.

The only issue I can think of for that particular application is cracked exhaust manifolds. If you are constantly loaded heavy and have a heavy foot you will crack exhaust manifolds. But that goes for any 3/4-ton and up gasser...

D

Deleted member 9101

The only issue I can think of for that particular application is cracked exhaust manifolds. If you are constantly loaded heavy and have a heavy foot you will crack exhaust manifolds. But that goes for any 3/4-ton and up gasser...

Sounds like the perfect excuse to buy a set of headers... :)

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Sounds like the perfect excuse to buy a set of headers... :)

I used to hot shot with a V10 F-350. 45 foot gooseneck float with air brakes. The damn exhaust manifolds would get so hot they'd be glowing orange. Worst tank of gas I ever did was in that truck, 1.2 MPG. Good thing it had a 50 gallon rear mounted tank! Didn't pass too many gas stations. Not sure headers would live long in that application!

Halligan

Adventurer
The very early V-10's (1999-2001 time frame) were 2 valve heads and the head castings had short/not many spark plug threads that would cause the spark plugs to loosen and spit out. 2002 or so until 2004 were great except because the spark plug thread issue was fixed. 2005-2009/2010 were 3 valve heads and better torqshift transmission but with a horrendous new spark plug design (not thread but actual plug design) that breaks plugs off into the head when you remove the plugs. 2011 or so forward probably the holy grail of V-10's because the lousy spark plug design was eliminated. These holy grail V-10's are only found in the Econoline cutaways for RV/EMS vehicles and Class A RV chassis. Don't hold me to my time frame years exactly but you get the picture.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
The family excursion had the V10. 2002 I believe. I got to drive that puppy in high school. Loved it. Miss it. We got about 270k out of it. We did have a spark plug blow one time around 120k but it was fixed easily and we didn't have any other issues with it. Great engine IMO, minus the MPG.

Chorky

Observer
Hey all thanks for your input! For a moment I was exploring some life options and had come across a Glacier series Chinook (2004), with V10 but, after thinking more, am thinking that's not the right route for me - right now anyway.

It might make someone else happy though, so here is a link

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior