6.0 tranny cooler in 7.3

clarkh

Observer
For these vans, is the the 6.0 cooler from a truck a direct swap into my 2000 7.3? In trucks i understand yes but see conflicting info for vans. I understand the hose fittings are different on the 6.0

Thanks!

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
For these vans, is the the 6.0 cooler from a truck a direct swap into my 2000 7.3? In trucks i understand yes but see conflicting info for vans. I understand the hose fittings are different on the 6.0

Thanks!

Well it's not a direct swap into the 7.3 trucks but yeah, you can install one in your van. Probably just need to get it plumbed in with whatever fittings are required to merge the differing sizes in transmission lines and some hardware to bolt the part into a place it was never intended to fit. Might look into the cooler from a 6.0 van instead. Makes more sense to me that way.

Navi

Adventurer
The TruCool 40k transmission cooler is much larger than the tiny stock 6.0 E350 cooler and is somewhat easy install.

stormlover

Adventurer
Yeah, you don't want the one from a van with a 6.0. It's 1/5th the size of the F series cooler. If you go with the F series 6.0 cooler there are two options. I've read that the 26 row will fit better in the 7.3s but no real world experience. http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/transmission-coolers/

I've got the 40K TruCool in my 6.0 and it was close to plug and play but the fittings were a PIA. I suspect the install in a 7.3 would be easier.

clarkh

Observer
Just ordered up the Tru Cool. Lots of installs over on the Sportsmobile forum also. Thanks for the advice folks.

FDM2012

Adventurer
I picked up a 26 row from a wrecked F-250 at a wrecking yard ($50) that I will be putting in once the rain let's up. Hopefully tomorrow......

I expect a little fabrication, but nothing too extravagant!

FDM2012

Adventurer
Installed the 26 row today.

I meant to take pics while doing it, but I was dodging showers, so that just didn't happen....

There is plenty of room in there, but you have to modify all of the brackets and whatnot.
Not a horrible job, if you have a 6-pack. Or 12 pack in my case.......
I would have finished a lot earlier, had my neighbor not been getting in my way and
offering ALL of his advice.... A good dude, though.

I went for about a 45 minute drive afterwards, including the highway, and it seems that it's zone is now 142-150 degrees.
It was upper 80's and soupy, here in Tampa today. Before, I was running 170-180 with a Derale w/fan. I am now content.

This is well worth doing, just be ready to put your fabrication hat on!
IMG_20170610_214143.jpg IMG_20170610_153542.jpgIMG_20170610_191516.jpg

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Don't throw out your stock 7.3 cooler... they do an excellent job of cooling your p/s fluid after it leaves the box on the way back to the pump. So I've read anyways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles