6” Lift on 2005 Rubicon Unlimited

I’m looking at an ‘05 Rubicon Unlimited. It has a 6” lift.
I am assuming there are drawbacks to this and a lift of this size needs to be done a certain way in order avoid problems.
Is a 6” lift “big” or is it ordinary? What questions do I need to ask in order to determine if it was performed correctly?

bluejeep

just a guy
did they install adjustable track bars front and back so you can re-center the vehicle over the tires, correct the potential rear drive shaft angle being to great, mitigate bump steer from the steep angle of the draglink, adjustable upper front control arms to restore correct alignment (camber / caster), install longer brake lines, install correct length shocks
-

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Biggest question is whether its a long arm or short (stock length)? There is no way a short arm system will work at 6" lift; 4" is max on short arms. Also, make sure the drag link and trackbar are parallel on the front. There are some kits that don't keep those two things in alignment.

Jack

Inline6

Adventurer
Not ideal any more, could of been put on before the current trend of less lift.

Easily fixed with new stuff

KYLJR

That's a lot of lift. you should fit 37" tires without cutting anything. I would Install shorter shocks and springs if you are not planning on running that big of a tire.

andy29847

Adventurer
Is it all suspension lift, or is some of it body lift? What lift kit did the owner use? How does the jeep drive - i.e., is it comfortable at 65 mph? Do you feel any vibration in the stering wheel between 40 -50 mph. Check the frame closely. The center sections were made without drain holes. Older Jeeps driven where they salt the roads tend to rot. There is a great wrangler TJ forum on the net. Search for it.

Mako1114

Adventurer
I have an 05 LJUR with a 5.5" Rubicon Express long arm kit and i'm running 37" KM2s on AEV rims. While mine is not a daily driver, it does get driven on the interstate once in a while but it just doesn't feel very safe at speeds over 65mph due to the how much flex the long arm kit has.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles