5X8 utility roof top tent trailer - Harold

ricoisme26

Been looking into building a RTT trailer for a little while and stumbled across this one on Facebook market place yesterday, had just been posted and I didn’t hesitate to call about it. Just a tractor supply trailer but came with a Yakima sky rise medium size tent along with the annex and the Yakima slim shady awning. Last night ended up bringing it home very happy with it so far can’t wait to get out some and put it to use. This is our first roof top tent so let me know if you have any tips for us
5F187CD0-A9C0-4E9F-A58C-C3FD8E87FEB0.jpeg
4C0ABC6E-4345-437A-BC17-44ED3860974A.jpegC5D0892D-970F-4AAB-8924-8330B96D7EF3.jpeg

john61ct

Adventurer
Wow great score!

I want to do something like that, but the top rack is removable, also lifts/lowers for slipstreaming.

And a Foamie living pod enclosure that slides in under the rack, with a lifting roof design, maybe pulled up by raising the rack.

ricoisme26

Wow great score!

I want to do something like that, but the top rack is removable, also lifts/lowers for slipstreaming.

And a Foamie living pod enclosure that slides in under the rack, with a lifting roof design, maybe pulled up by raising the rack.

Thanks, I was looking to build my own but this came up and I jumped on it, couldn’t have bought the tent/annex/awning for the price we paid so I couldn’t pass it up.

I am looking at making the rack lower able/raise able, also looking to raise the trailer itself, towing home with a 5 inch drop hitch the trailer was still nose high on my stock F150. I scrapped the pavement with the drop hitch backing it into my driveway. Hoping bigger wheels/tires and an axle flip with let me run a 3 inch drop level

old_CWO

Those Carry-On angle iron trailers are okay for the price but on the light duty side. I would beef up and extend the tongue if it were mine. You have a cambered axle so don't just "flip" it, weld on new perches. Some stabilizer jacks would be a smart addition for when the tent is deployed.

Nice score; it's simple, light weight and basically ready to use as is. Hard to argue with that formula.

ricoisme26

Thank for the input old_CWO, i did look into the flip and putting new perches on, it'll be something I'll have to put more time into. I do have a pair of jack stands for leveling/stabilizing the trailer for now, once I get it lifted a bit i will look into some stabilizers that attach to it as the jack stand i have will not be tall enough.

I hope to build a trailer from the ground up someday this was just too good to pass up I plan to use it as a test bed for ideas

ricoisme26

Took our trailer on its first adventure the weekend of the 4th. Camped at raystown lake in PA, it was anything too adventurous as I’ve been there many times and love the lake as well as the mountain biking there. Tent slept well and the trailer did great hauling all of the gear we borrowed from my parents. Now to start assembling our own cook ware set.

Saw two bald eagles and caught my first fish from a kayak so I’d say it was a successful trip

E557EFF9-F874-48C7-BE48-23C5BB7D6426.jpeg20B5E806-93AC-42E3-9066-5A1ABE43F937.jpeg3A2D0685-1BCF-43FD-A70C-D19E6B4E9A9F.jpegC33005C9-8C49-4B93-A1AA-60B222008892.jpegC5C72DA3-C63C-437D-9692-4A4C759A67DC.jpeg25D738F2-AE56-4CF9-B9B5-7AEDEDDE523E.jpeg45E47B63-BC6D-42A0-8D5D-68FD4C93AE20.jpegBDA52BE5-8E1B-4AB2-8069-62EC875E972C.jpeg

bunger

Adventurer
Looks good and It's a great platform to build upon. The main thing that I would be concerned about is that there is no sideways bracing for the tent platform. I would add some bracing, gussets, trussing, what ever you want to call it to prevent side to side movement. I wouldn't trust just the welds on something that tall. It would only take a broken weld for that whole thing to collapse.

ricoisme26

Love Raystown lake. Lots of fun mountain biking there. How crowded was the comprground?
Love it out at Raystown Lake, we stayed at Seven Points campground, it was busy but wasn't too crowded, sites are nice a big so while you can hear you're neighbors where we stayed we didn't see them, other areas of the campground may not be the same

ricoisme26

Looks good and It's a great platform to build upon. The main thing that I would be concerned about is that there is no sideways bracing for the tent platform. I would add some bracing, gussets, trussing, what ever you want to call it to prevent side to side movement. I wouldn't trust just the welds on something that tall. It would only take a broken weld for that whole thing to collapse.
I was thinking that as well, might have to add some bracing from the vertical posts to the cross bars. Not sure how i could add it to the lower portion without obstructing the trailer portion.

I do intend to build an alternate trailer eventually but this was a cheap and easy way to get out and enjoy camping/overlanding. In the end i'll still have this as a utility trailer and a roof top tent that i can use on another platform.

ricoisme26

Been out a few time and never updated this post. Earlier in the summer traded my truck with a my friend so he could tow his family's pontoon and I towed Harold with his Pontiac Vibe. The little hatchback did alright. That weekend we stayed in a campground and primarily hung out at the cabin they had rented and on the pontoon, using Harold for sleeping only. our 80 pound pup is quite heavy for getting up in the tent. We've used the tent several times like this but I'm planning a more overland-esque trip for next summer.

For now we'll be taking Harold to Audra WV this upcoming weekend for a fall camping trip. I'll report back afterwards.

ricoisme26

Spent the weekend in Caledonia State park near Michaud State forest. Drive a small section of the MABDR before heading home this morning.
1560b86d6091814a668aae9b3df535ec.jpg

e5fafcca4ee59c85969ac18e10381a43.jpg

Used the trip to get the hang of cooking while camping, prep before heading out was key.

French toast Saturday morning
f6c08844c8fa10801bd6780fb4056ef6.jpg

Apple crisp over the fire Saturday night

668252db46c58458e018e9372d6a3132.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles