5x10 Cargo Trailer Conversion

We have been lurking here for years, but given all the good information we gleaned here over that time we decided we needed to give back a little on this next project.

Last week we bought the 5x10 V Nose Enclosed Cargo Trailer pictured to convert into a camping trailer. The trailer is still in Texas and we are working on having it shipped to Arizona. I expect to get it by the end of the month one way or another.

To give you the back story we are a family of five, do a good bit of camping, often for a week or more, long distance (100's or 1000's of miles) and off road. We do not mind roughing it. Tent camping, hammock camping or sleeping under the stars is just fine. Mountain biking, hiking, exploring, rock hunting, astronomy and "hanging" out reading in a hammock are some of the things we often do while we are camping. We have used all kinds of trailers from small 4x7 box trailer, to pop up tent trailer, to 25' travel trailer and a bunch of others in between. We just sold a 22' hybrid trailer that we used for the past two years. We keep coming back to the smallish lighter gear hauler as the trailer of choice. We are not looking to sleep in it. It would just be for hauling our gear/supplies/water and provide a decent kitchen. It will give us access to more remote sites that we like to go to and is easy to store/maintain. We would not expect to take it on any serious off-road efforts, but it should handle forestry service roads and jeep trails.

Our rig is a 2001 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4. Ordered from the factory for us, this truck has taken good care of us over the years. It has a lot of miles (thousands of them off road) on it, but it has been well cared for and it returns the favor. We have had it down some seriously sketchy tracks and always gotten us back home. There was that one time it spent the night stuck in the middle of a river, but that was all driver error and we got it out on our own the next day. Now days we no longer put it into too many risky situations, but the plan is to drive it until it can no longer go on.

We have built utility trailers from scratch in the past. We are currently building a smaller off road 5x4 box trailer to haul gear and we have drawn up custom plans for our ultimate off road "Challenger" like trailer, but both those projects are a way off. This will fill an immediate need since selling the hybrid trailer for upcoming trips we have planned.

The trailer is just under 14’ long, 6’ 6” tall and 6’10” wide over all. The interior is 4’ 11” high and 4’ 8” wide. It is a pretty short as enclosed cargo trailers go, but that is what we were looking for. It will sit behind our Suburban nicely. This will help with fuel efficiency and provide better side clearance on narrow trails. It has double doors on the back and a single 32” door on the side. It has a Dexter 3500# axle with standard 15” trailer tires on it currently. I am assuming it has a 5x4.5 lug pattern. I am told the frame is 3" square tube.

Some key desires for the trailer are; light off road capability, secure dry storage for gear, 40-50 gal. water storage (we are in AZ), 50 to 100 qt. 12v fridge(s), 12v solar and battery system, interior\exterior LED lighting, complete ready to go kitchen, rain/sun awning(s). We already have many of the needed items. We would like to finish at least some of the build out by early summer.

We will insulate the walls, ceiling and floor and add one or more roof vents with fans. Here in Arizona the temps can get brutally hot. While we have the walls open we would install wiring and any additional support needed for other plans. We would like to have spare tire carriers on the sides. We expect to need to beef up the frame a bit and extend the tongue. We have been toying with a way to shorten\extend the tongue depending on the situation. Maybe a receiver tube with a pin at the tongue to move it in or out 12" to 36".

The truck has Goodyear Wrangler 285/75R16 tires and we want to match those on the trailer including two spares. This way we could share the three spares between the trailer and truck. We have saved about six good ones from previous re-tiring of the truck. They are older, but still very serviceable. The truck has the standard GM\Toyota 6x5.5 lug pattern which we want on the trailer. I expect we will need to replace or modify the axle, hubs, suspension and fenders.

We are planning to build a kitchen across the back to be accessed from the rear doors. We have several ideas including a slide out section (think a L shaped) on one side of the kitchen that contains the fridge and stove. The advantage to this would be that the fridge would be accessible from inside\outside and move its weight over the axle when slid in\underway. There would be a sink and cabinets to hold food, pots and pans, tools, plates and utensils.

We intend to use two or more mounted water tanks and would mount them inside over the axle. Something like two 25 gal tanks or three 15 gal tanks ideally with baffles to reduce sloshing. We have a nice marine SureFlo fresh water pump and a used 25 gal tank already. Not sure if we will use that existing tank though. We would have a sink in the kitchen area and maybe an external spigot outside. Gray water would likely go into a 5 gal bucket from the sink. If we could find a small 25-40 gal grey water tank we might consider that. We are also considering eventually springing for a on demand water heater to help with washing dishes. Heating wash water on the stove can be such a hassle at times.

We have most of our big ticket electrical gear covered. We already have a super nice Xantrex inverter/charger, Xantrex solar controller, five 130w 12v solar panels, four Diehard Platinum Deep Cycle AGM Group 31 batteries, 12v circuit panel, 120v shore power cable and a mess of other stuff. We are thinking of two or three 130w panels on the roof charging two 200Ah batteries depending on the load. We just ordered an ARB 50 12v fridge last week and it should come in today or tomorrow. Once we get it we will decide on the size of a second one. Having two will allow us the option to use one as a freezer or shut one down when we don’t need it. All the wiring should be installed behind the walls. We would like to setup exterior LED lighting on all four sides, in the kitchen area and a couple internal ones. We would have 120v, 12v, and USB charging ports internally and in the kitchen area. Ideally, we would have very few reasons to use the inverter. Maybe the blender on those special trips.

We are thinking of creating some sort of storage solution inside the front part to hold all the camping gear. Something where heavier stuff (clothing bags, camping chairs, horse shoes) goes on the bottom and lighter items (tents, sleeping bags, etc.) on the top. All this would go above the water tanks, batteries and fridges are mounted. We have several telescopes and mounts that we would like to figure out how to securely store them inside. Bikes normally go on the truck roof, but we are considering a receiver hitch on the back of the trailer or some sort of solution over the tongue.

That is what we are thinking. Once we have the trailer here we will plan it out in more detail. We are going to journal our efforts here. We are open to any suggestions or critique.

Matt and Autum

Last edited:
I had read through it when researching what to do with mine. It inspired me to consider a water heater. Sad to hear about Jeff.

Last edited:
Got my ARB 50 fridge yesterday. It is super nice and lighter than I expected. I am torn between buying a second 50 or stepping up to a 63 or 82. I am seeing several used ones also, but with this type of purchase that might be a little risky.

Just got confirmation that the trailer is on it's way here to Arizona. Should have it in my possession sometime over the weekend. Maybe even tomorrow evening.

trailer underway.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the new trailer. Over the past week we have spent a bunch of time looking it over and planning out our build.

IMG_20180520_143851643.jpg
IMG_20180520_143904805.jpg
IMG_20180523_185122334_HDR.jpg

The only real con to the trailer as it sits is the axle. It is a dropper axle, which will not work long term and needs to be replaced. We will likely be going with a Timbren Axle-Less suspension. We are thinking about going with the 2” lift which in addition to going to much bigger tires and wheels should give us the desired clearance\height. We will need to end up with a 6 x 5.5 lug pattern and likely go with electric brake drums. We have included a picture of one of the wheels next to the existing one.

IMG_20180524_222535003.jpg
IMG_20180519_155754696.jpg

We got some aluminum stock to build the mounts for the solar panels. We are using 1 ½” x 1 ½” x ⅛” angle to bolt the panels to. Those will be attached to 3” x 5” x ¼” angle (brackets) that will be attached to the top edge of the trailer. There is a picture of the mock up and the brackets held up to the trailer. We hope to have this installed this weekend.

IMG_20180523_184859189.jpg
IMG_20180523_182501494_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180523_182310760.jpg

We picked up a second used ARB 50qt fridge from Craigslist last weekend. With the two, we will have the ability to run a fridge and a freezer or two fridges. We ran a solid test of the ARB running off a battery in the trailer. On Tuesday night, we hooked it up to one of the big Group 31 AGM batteries and set it to 35° F. Once it reached temperature, we adjusted it to 0° F and put a cup of water in to let it freeze. Then we left it running all night and throughout the following day to see if it had any issues with being closed up in a hot trailer all day. During the day the temperatures here in Phoenix reached at least 95°. We set the cup on its side so if the fridge temp went below freezing or shut down the ice would melt and run out. In the evening the water was still frozen in the cup and the battery was still at 12.3v (down from 12.8v). We are pretty pleased with the results. Reality is we will never run both as freezers and likely not at 0° F. Then again, ice cream while camping does sound good.

IMG_20180523_185345047.jpg
IMG_20180523_185436311.jpg

We ordered a bunch of parts online. This included RV roof vent, additional side vent, exterior lights, a 6 way plug, cable and junction box. We still need to order more. We will need to decide what can get done before our mid-June trip and what will have to wait until later.

The plan this weekend it to get the solar panels installed, start installing exterior lights and design the kitchen and other areas of the trailer that will need to be built out.

More to come.

Last edited:

Jmanscotch

is wandering
In to see how it goes man! First trip mid June? You're going to be a busy man..

What's the specs on those DieHard AGM batteries and why'd you choose them over others? Batteries are coming up on my purchase radar soon but I haven't done much more than casual browsing on researching them.

Jake

Jake -

Tell me about it and we are not even taking on any of the major work immediately. We are not going to do any thing that requires taking off the interior walls or flooring until after we get back. So, the major axle, suspension, tongue, wall support work are out for now. Kitchen and permanent water will have to wait too. We are almost done with mounting the solar panels. We replaced the fixed jack stand with a bolt on swing version. We will install the roof vent, side vent, 7 way trailer connection and some of the exterior lighting. We will temporally setup the electrical and solar so we can run the ARB's. Fuller update coming soon.

We previously had these batteries installed in a big 5th wheel we sold. Sears no longer has the Platinum line (apparently they were not paying their supplier (Oddessy) and got cut off), but we would have gladly bought them all over again. They are re-branded Oddessy 31M-PC2150's with 205Ah reserve capacity. At the time they were the best bang for the buck in that class of battery. The warranty was an awesome four year full replacement at any Sear's store. The casing is super rugged and they deal with solar and lack of use really well. At one point we had five of them (all bought in 2008), but one completely died a few years back and one is slowly giving out. The other three are rock solid for 10 year old batteries, but I expect them to run out of gas before too long. I might buy a single new Oddessy 31M-PC2150 to use along side one of the existing ones and then swap out the old ones between trips so I always have a good one in play. I believe good battery maintenance is critical to making batteries last. We use a BatteryMinder 2012-AGM desulfating charger to maintain them and will likely install one as my 110v battery charger in this trailer. Repeatedly running them down to nothing is what kills them. Solar can be a blessing or a curse depending on how far you let them run down. I believe that having capacity well above need is critical to battery life. We will have a volt and amp meter installed so we can easily see what the battery state is at any time. After the experience we had with the Platinum's, we would likely go with the Oddessy's again because of the ruggedness and product quality. I firmly believe in the thin plate design (vs spun coil) that the Oddessy's use.

Matt

Last edited:
Reactions: FMF
Sorry about not posting anything for the past month plus. We decided to list our house in June (as opposed to in September as we had planned) due to multiple agents telling us the market here in AZ is super hot. It certainly is and we had a full price offer almost immediately. That turned into a unplanned move and all the associated efforts. We are in the new house and the old house is due to close at the end of the week. Once we get settled and the garage back into working order we will be back on this project.

Matt

The house sale is done and we have been working on putting the the new house together. Since we have been going full blast since May, we needed a break. This past week I took a couple days off work and the entire family went camping for four days. We took the trailer as is (literally stock) with a plan to do some work on it out in the forest at our camp site.

We wanted to use one of the ARB fridges on the trip. That required batteries and a means to charge them. We loaded up three of the 200Ah AGM batteries, two of the 130W solar panels, the PV controller, the panel mounts we had started fabricating, associated hardware, wiring and tools. The ARB went in the truck for the three hour ride up to where we go camping.

Once there and settled we got to work on placing the panels on the roof and wired them in rough to the controller and batteries. After a couple hours on the second day the panels were charging the batteries at about 10-12 amps per hour. We only plan to use two of these batteries in the final build. We brought three just in case we did not get around to installing the panels on the trip. All of this will get mounted properly at some point. The plan is to have meters to show the input, output and individual battery state.

We finished the panel roof install the next day. We really like how they turned out. The panels sit about 1" above the high spot in the middle of roof (there is a slight bow to the roof) and 2.5" out at the edge giving them a good bit of breathing room to maximize the output. Cooler panels produce more power. There is room enough for a third panel up front, but I do not expect to need it. We plan to put the RV roof vent all the way up in the front.

By mid morning on the last two days, after the ARB ran all night long off the batteries, the panels had recharged the batteries fully with the ARB running off the power provided by the panels throughout the rest of the day. The final build will have two ARB's and a bunch of other power loads with one less battery, but based on my calculations these panels should be able to keep us charged up all the time.

We are super pleased with the ARB fridge. It just works. I even got the nod from the better half on buying, not one, but two expensive camping fridges. Not having to always worry about ice or having food be spoiled in the inevitable ice slush is huge. One thing we learned is it works best fully loaded. That just means any extra space needs to be filled with beer. Having the two 50 qt. fridges as opposed to a single bigger 100 qt. one gives us the ability to shut down one as we eat through our supplies.

Next up is to finalize our kitchen plans and purchase the suspension, hubs and wheels. This recent trip gave us some really good ideas and we need to adjust the plans accordingly. If anyone has a good source for Timbren products we would love to hear about it.

Of course a camping trip would not be complete without the pictures to share of it. Enjoy.

Matt

Last edited:
We have not posted an update since mid summer, but we have been working on the trailer albeit slowly. Family and work have been taking precedent so the trailer has been getting attention only as time becomes available. That makes posting here even tougher. Sorry about that.

With regard to electrical we have made a bunch of improvements. We installed a temporary plywood panel on the passenger side wall to mount electrical components to. The panel will be relocated to the back side of the kitchen wall once it is installed. We temporally installed the three 205Ah batteries just below the electrical panel. On the panel, we added several breakers, selector switches, voltage displays and a fuse panel. This all handles the power coming in from the solar panels and the alternator and going out to the various power requirements. We can switch charging between solar, alternator or neither. We also added three 12v ports to plug in the ARBs and a dual USB port. We temporally installed two LED lights on the ceiling. We replaced the original four way trailer connector with a seven way connector and wired the 12v hot to provide alternator charging of the batteries. This adds trailer brake wiring as well. The two ARB's have been temporally mounted at the rear of the trailer. All of this is 12v currently, but we do have plans to have a exterior 120v connection, battery charger and circuits\outlets to run the ARB's on shore power. We are undecided about installing the very large 2000W Xantrex inverter we have or another smaller unit as we are not sure it is necessary. We might just go with a quality 300-500w plug in version.

Mechanically, we replaced the dropper axle with a slightly longer straight axle. We also replaced the original 5x4.5 lug idler hubs with new 6x5.5 lug electric brake hubs. We did not replace the existing leaf spring suspension, but may replace it with a Timbren Silent Ride suspension system later on. We have decided not to go with the Timbren Axle-Less suspension system as we have plenty of clearance for what we will use it for. The trailer is currently sitting on the trucks spare wheel and another chrome\steel wheel that was previously the trucks spare. We purchased two black Pro Comp Series 69 aluminum wheels (these match all the wheels on the truck) and just need to take the existing 285/75R16 (33") tires we already have to be mounted at the shop. We will get a third wheel as a second spare a little later. The chrome wheels facing sits about 2" closer to the trailer and will not work beyond sitting in the garage. The original aluminum diamond plate fenders were never going to work with the new tires so we have been installing new larger steel fenders. We would have liked to make custom (larger\stronger) steel fenders, but in the interest of moving the project forward opted for pre-made ones we ordered online. The new axle and tires raise the trailer 7". This puts the axle at 15" and the frame at 20" from the ground. The top of the solar panels\trailer sits at 87" (7.25'). The opening to our garage is only 7', so we will have to get creative to move it in and out of the garage.

We are currently working on finishing up the fender install. We still need to pull them back off and paint them. Likely flat or semi-gloss black. We need to wire up the brakes as well. After that we need to pull down the interior plywood panels to weld in support for the kitchen wall and a spare tire carrier on the aft drivers side. We are considering installing a window on the drivers side up forward for ventilation. We may pull up the floor to add support to the frame at the same time. We recently found the perfect size stainless steel sink to use in the kitchen. Now that we have all the key elements of the kitchen area and the trailer height is established we are able to plan out the back kitchen area. Build out should start soon. We recently picked up a couple cool stainless waterproof switches for the exterior lights. We are going to have switches externally at or near the lights to simplify turning them on. We are going to swap out the power side selector switch to a multi position switch from an on\off one and add a second fuse panel that will handle the exterior power. That way we can turn the exterior completely off and still have power on the interior when we leave it out in public.

We have taken the trailer on a couple camping trips recently. We went camping at Joshua Tree in mid-November and locally just north of Tucson in Ironwood National Monument on Thanksgiving weekend. The trailer has been awesome to use even in it's incomplete state. We had four days and three nights worth of food for three families in the fridges and no coolers. The solar system works flawlessly. The fridges can run all day and night and the batteries hardly dip down at all. Regarding towing, we hardly feel it behind the Suburban on the highway. Unfortunately, once we start the major interior work we will not likely be taking it on the road. Hopefully that will happen quickly and we can get it back to a usable state. We have plans for summer camping trips that we want the trailer to come along on.

More to come.

Last edited:
It has been a couple weeks so here is the latest update.

As we mentioned in our last post, the trailer sits taller than the garage door. To get it outside, we rigged up a cart using an metal frame and heavy duty casters to lower the trailer onto and pull it out. Once outside, we jacked it up and put the tires back on. It was only outside for the evening and through the next day so we could do some painting in the garage, but it is good to know we can pull it out now. It is sitting on the cart full time now as we continue to work on it.

We pulled the fenders off again and have primed them. We will paint them at the same time we paint some other parts and areas a little later on.

We installed the first of the exterior flood lights on the back end. This is an important item for the trailer and we are pleased with how it turned out. These are 700 lumen LED lights in aluminum housings. There is small stainless switch to the left of the light to turn it on and off right at the fixture. There will be additional lights on each side of the trailer as well. As mentioned previously, we have added a multi position switch and add a second fuse panel that will handle the exterior power. That way we can turn the exterior completely off when we leave it out in public.

We have started a big push to get some significant interior work done. We pulled all the walls down and took up the flooring. Taking the walls down was much harder than expected even though we knew exactly what we were doing. The “stupid” screw looking nails that they used to attach the plywood to the metal frame ensured that we destroyed the plywood completely while removing it. Why do these things even exist? The temporary electrical panel, batteries, wiring and lighting all came out too.

The current goal is to do any work that requires the interior coverings to be removed. We will begin by welding metal supports in the walls, floor and ceiling for a number of items (interior galley wall, window, roof vent, spare tire carriers, fold down steps, leveling jacks, fenders, lighting, 120v electrical connection, water hookup). We also plan to add a kind of bumper under the back end of the trailer to take any impact there while off-roading. Once the welding is complete we will paint all the metal work to limit rusting. At the same time, we will seal seams and penetrations that have shown signs of water penetration. We will complete the installs of most of the items listed above along with rewiring the solar panels. Finally, we will install the insulation, flooring, ceiling cover, electrical and lighting. At that point the trailer should be back to road worthy. Interior covering will wait until we complete the major interior build out. We hope to complete all this in a couple weeks.

More to come.

Last edited:

ITTOG

Nice work. Would you happen to have a schematic of your electrical system? I haven't started mine yet and am always looking for ideas. I recently had surgery on my elbows so I probably won't get to any modifications of significance until later this year.

You can find my build in my signature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior