5th Gen Ranger Discussions / Reviews / News

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Have you compared this to a square-shaped trailer? How do you know it's not any more efficient?

You've also got a pretty large flat area in the back that still creates good amount of drag. A true tear drop trailer @85_Ranger4x4 was referring to would significantly reduce drag and improve aerodynamics.

Yes, I've towed all kinds of trailers. The rounded shape doesn't make a bit of difference. The only thing that does is if it's lower than the tow vehicle, then it's much easier to tow.

a 9' trailer is a 9' trailer no matter how it's shaped, you're going to feel that wind. It's like pulling a billboard down the highway no matter what it's shaped like.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Not sure if it would make a difference with MPG but, it looks like your truck is squatting a little in the back. Maybe a weight distributing hitch would help?

Unless it's just the picture angle or something?

It does squat more than I like. I have a WDH but right now it's still set up for the Suburban. I need to wait for a nice weekend and then I can take the trailer out to a nice flat parking lot and set it up for the F-150. I definitely prefer towing with the WDH as it also incorporates sway control (even though the F-150 supposedly has "built in sway control" it felt pretty squirrely back in October driving back from New Mexico in heavy crosswinds.)

I don't expect the WDH to make any difference in terms of MPG but it should improve handling and reduce swaying.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
It does squat more than I like. I have a WDH but right now it's still set up for the Suburban. I need to wait for a nice weekend and then I can take the trailer out to a nice flat parking lot and set it up for the F-150. I definitely prefer towing with the WDH as it also incorporates sway control (even though the F-150 supposedly has "built in sway control" it felt pretty squirrely back in October driving back from New Mexico in heavy crosswinds.)

I don't expect the WDH to make any difference in terms of MPG but it should improve handling and reduce swaying.
I'll be curious to find out if it does make a difference for you. The first time I towed my trailer the truck was constantly revving to 3,500 - 4,000 (ish) RPM on flat roads.

The second time after I adjusted it the RPM's stayed at a more constant 1,800 - 2,000.

(For reference the truck has a 5.0L, 3:73's and a 6 speed)

I was so choked the first time towing that trailer that a half ton truck would struggle that much towing a 5K trailer. Turned out it was user error, haha.

nickw

Adventurer
Just to report mileage....

Trip from Bend, OR to Portland, OR...net elevation decrease by ~3000 feet, but a large pass to go over, it's about 180 miles in total, little traffic. Half of it was 45-60 mph on 2 Iane hwy, the other half was keeping up with traffic 60-70 mph on flat hwy / freeway. This is with 235/85 studded winter tires and non-ethanol fuel, two adults, a MTB and a weekend worth of stuff.

I've found the trip meter to over reports by .5 up to 1.5 more than my hand calc, but with the larger tires @ 4-5% larger circumference, we can call it a wash.

1583169837192.png

Don't have a pic but got 22.8mpg on way there.....average of 25.6. This is "normal" driving, not actively trying to take it easy.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles