5th Gen 4Runner v. LR3, Need a new SUV now.

CBnCO

Currently own 2006 Land Rover LR3..since almost new and now 225K miles. So, I know a little about the LR3 and it's typical maintenance requirements and flaws (long list!). When working properly, we love the Land Rover...Use the vehicle for family, dogs, 200" per year of snow & ice here, forest service roads, hunting, etc.. Considering a used 5th gen 4runner (reliability) or another LR3 (love the fold flat seats, on-road comfort, skylights & visibility). Here is what I'm finding for sale near me, which would you choose & why? I'll post the same on the Toyota page..curious to hear difference of opinion.

Option 1: 2008 LR3 HSE, 120K miles, $7,500, has maintenance records and looks in good shape. No HD package.

V.

Option 2: 2012 4Runner, $85K miles, $22K, trade-in at dealer, Trail version with KDSS

????????

tennesseewj

Observer
There are very few Toyota fans they will ever recommend a Land Rover over a 4Runner. The two trucks listed, though, are quite different in age, mileage, and definitely price. Cross shopping such a broad range may be frustrating.

Have you driven a 4Runner yet? I think you'll find the level of refinement to be way behind the Rover. If that's important to you, you'll have a hard time living in the Toyota camp.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

CBnCO

There are very few Toyota fans they will ever recommend a Land Rover over a 4Runner. The two trucks listed, though, are quite different in age, mileage, and definitely price. Cross shopping such a broad range may be frustrating.

Have you driven a 4Runner yet? I think you'll find the level of refinement to be way behind the Rover. If that's important to you, you'll have a hard time living in the Toyota camp.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I used two actual vehicles I've seen in my local area and then realized there was a bit of disparity in year and mileage for the comparison..that said, a quick look online and I see 2010 (1st year 5th gen) 4R's ranging from $18-$24K with the same 120K miles as the LR3, so still a pretty good disparity in price. I do like our current LR a lot; but, the thought of going through the list of repairs for the second time is not exactly something I look forward to. If price was equal I'd probably buy the Toyota and with it less maintenance hassle; but, the depreciation these Land Rovers have experienced certainly makes them seem compelling.

CBnCO

Could you go ahead and do all the required maintenance on the LR3 for the difference in price between the 4Runner and Rover?

I've found I can do about 90% myself, which is why I'd even consider another land rover. Between forums, youTube, and a few metric wrenches/sockets the LR has been tolerable. Again, when operating properly, the LR is a fine vehicle; but, diagnosing the gremlins is sometimes a monumental challenge (CEL, water intrusion, suspension faults, coolant leaks, etc..). Can you even imagine an off-road vehicle that doesn't come stock with a full size spare or requires a special tool to remove the glove box (that dealer didn't even have on hand!..had to fashion one out of tubing and small bolt when latch broke)..seriously, what were these guys thinking! If I could merge a few of the LR features with the reliability & durability of the LR, could be a perfect do it all SUV.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
No 4Runner will ever be as comfortable or refined as a LR, that's the biggest difference. Reliability goes a long way but you're familiar with the LR platform and it sounds like you can do the majority of the necessary repairs for the same money or possibly even less than the initial buy-in of the 4Runner. Tough choice for yourself. I've always been a fan of the LR1/2 but reliability issues always drove me away.

CBnCO

No 4Runner will ever be as comfortable or refined as a LR, that's the biggest difference. Reliability goes a long way but you're familiar with the LR platform and it sounds like you can do the majority of the necessary repairs for the same money or possibly even less than the initial buy-in of the 4Runner. Tough choice for yourself. I've always been a fan of the LR1/2 but reliability issues always drove me away.

CBnCO

Unfortunately, I have to have an SUV that will take me off-road and handle family travel, which is the only reason "refinement" would even factor in. I started looking at the 100 LC's and LX470's; but, the MPG's and age don't profile well for a daily driver. I wish there was a vehicle with modern engine/transmission, that was also a utilitarian 4x4...I'd be first in line to buy.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Fuel economy really isn't as big of a deal as we all make it out to be other than range when remote. None of the manufactures ever hit their projected numbers anyway and it's all out the window the moment you put larger tires, heavy bumpers and sliders/skids and all of your gear on/in it.

RedRunner87

Unfortunately, I have to have an SUV that will take me off-road and handle family travel, which is the only reason "refinement" would even factor in. I started looking at the 100 LC's and LX470's; but, the MPG's and age don't profile well for a daily driver. I wish there was a vehicle with modern engine/transmission, that was also a utilitarian 4x4...I'd be first in line to buy.

Have you looked at the GX470 or GX460? They are the same size as the 4Runner, more refined and have a V8 in them. The GX470 will have the 4.7L V8 from the 4th Gen 4Runner and Tundra. All the suspension components are the same as the 4Runner.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
^What he said. Economy will be a wash, they all suck to a degree... But just like Tex said, we get so hung up on economy for minimal differences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94