5th gen 2011 4Runner project

Thegtwyo86

Hello everyone, I’m completely new to the Toyota crowd(I’ve always owned Jeep’s for trail riding and camping) I just took over my wife’s 5th gen 2011 4Runner, it has low miles since she drove it a mile to work since it was 2 years old. Everything mechanically is great, I’m looking for good sources for bumpers, sliders, lifts and all the cool stuff. Sorry if I am posting a question already answered. Also just looking at common issues with the 4Runner when on a trail or camping and recommended parts to use. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phsycle

Adventurer
Mods would depend on your specific usage. What trim is the 4runner? What trails are you taking this on? How many people? What’s the budget? Etc etc.

Thegtwyo86

Mods would depend on your specific usage. What trim is the 4runner? What trails are you taking this on? How many people? What’s the budget? Etc etc.

It’s an sr5 4x4, it’s really only going to be used for some trail riding,expedition camping, hunting, using it to drive around in my 35 acre farm and taking a trip out of state once and a wile, max load of people will be my wife, 3 young kids and myself, my budget is on the conservative side but if it’s necessary to spend the money on quality parts I will. I want: bumpers front and rear with a tire career, roof basket/rack(one that will work with roof top tents). Rock sliders, lift(probably3 inches max), front locker

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I would suggest just to use it as is and upgrade if you feel you need / want to. From what you describe it doesn't sound like anything a stock 4Runner couldn't handle? I guess it depends on the trials. Tough to say.

phsycle

Adventurer
It’s an sr5 4x4, it’s really only going to be used for some trail riding,expedition camping, hunting, using it to drive around in my 35 acre farm and taking a trip out of state once and a wile, max load of people will be my wife, 3 young kids and myself, my budget is on the conservative side but if it’s necessary to spend the money on quality parts I will. I want: bumpers front and rear with a tire career, roof basket/rack(one that will work with roof top tents). Rock sliders, lift(probably3 inches max), front locker

For what you’re doing, as mentioned above, stock rig will handle it. But I know the bumpers and rack look pretty cool. Nothing wrong with modding for style. There are lots of bumper manufacturers. Look at Southern Styles Offroad. My friend recently got one from them and it looks nice. OME suspension is good.
I like Gobi roof racks with the rear ladder. I’d definitely forego the front locker unless you like throwing away money.

None of this is cheap, except the lift (probable $1k). So keep that in mind.

Thegtwyo86

I would suggest just to use it as is and upgrade if you feel you need / want to. From what you describe it doesn't sound like anything a stock 4Runner couldn't handle? I guess it depends on the trials. Tough to say.

Yeah it’s not a need lol I want to do this stuff lol

Thegtwyo86

For what you’re doing, as mentioned above, stock rig will handle it. But I know the bumpers and rack look pretty cool. Nothing wrong with modding for style. There are lots of bumper manufacturers. Look at Southern Styles Offroad. My friend recently got one from them and it looks nice. OME suspension is good.
I like Gobi roof racks with the rear ladder. I’d definitely forego the front locker unless you like throwing away money.

None of this is cheap, except the lift (probable $1k). So keep that in mind.

Yeah I understand, the price on stuff for the 4Runner kind of surprised me vs the stuff for jeeps. I’m really just looking for suggestions for manufacturers of the parts that people trust because nothing really crosses over from the jeep community.

Jamccain

Off the top of my head a few popular ones are:

CBI Fab Off Road - who I would go with for bumpers OR
C4 Fabrication
Victory 4x4
Rago Fabrication
Southern Style Off Road
Coastal Off Road if you are a welder or want to be a hobby welder.

I am leaving several good places out, really Google is your friend here or a site like trail 4 runner.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
I’ve had Old Man Emu suspensions on three different Toyotas now. I would not recommend front and rear bumpers unless you were really going “overlanding “. Yes, they look nice but add a lot of unnecessary weight. If you do go with a front bumper and winch also go to the medium duty coils. Same in rear; steel bumper and tire carrier, medium duty coils. You should also consider a diff drop kit to keep the mechanicals happy up front.

I’ve addendvlights, roof rack, etc., but the above stuff is really all you need. I’m at over 120,000+ miles driving my 2011 T4R throughout the west and am thoroughly satisfied with it.

Dale WU7X

724A028C-D50B-42FA-8CD7-1DD3D8770955.jpeg272183AE-A974-4062-9BE3-1520EE126FC2.jpeg

Lownomore

Front locker is definitely something I would wait on until you've seen an actual need for it. It sounds like for most of what you plan to do it would be an unnecessary expense.

Bumper wise I would look at SSO or C4
Sliders: C4, White Knuckle, Schrockworks, Hefty Fab all make good product, find the ones you like the best
As far as roof racks go if you are looking at RTT make sure the rack is compatible with the tent. Some tents do not work well with some racks without mods. The Sherpa Rack is nice as well
OME Nitrocharger is probably one of the best bang for your buck suspension setups. Mine is 11 years old with 100k and the shocks are just getting ready for replacement.
The Teraflex Falcon Tow Haul setup is also nice as it allows some adjustment in the rear for different loads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles