5th 4Runner replacement rear side windows with storage locker.

ucs308

Observer
I have been looking for a way to replace the rear side windows with a storage locker accessed externally and have come up blank. So time to ask the hive mind. In short the windows in the way back of the 4Runner, for me, are blocked by fridge and camping gear most of the time. I know there are molle boards you can get for the inside but that space is dead/really hard to access. So I am looking to see if someone has designed a storage locker that replaces the rear windows that allows you to access that stuff from the outside.

Thanks in advance.

andysgreenxj

Observer
I have been contemplating doing something along those lines on my 3rd gen 4runner. Check out dirt lifestyle on you-tube...he fabs a set up for his rover build.:cool:

Neosapian

Innate Outdoor Co
ucs308,

If you mock up a physical cardboard mock-up, you can the transfer it into 3D via Google Sketchup or CAD, and have the whole thing compartment bent out of something like 16 gauge stainless steel. How you'd go about mounting it in a water and dust proof manner or in a way that'd allow you to revert back to stock, is beyond me.

Dirt Lifestyle's build is definitely a good place to start. I pack that dead space up against those windows with seldom used items. Usually soft goods...

sn_85

Observer
I have been looking for a way to replace the rear side windows with a storage locker accessed externally and have come up blank. So time to ask the hive mind. In short the windows in the way back of the 4Runner, for me, are blocked by fridge and camping gear most of the time. I know there are molle boards you can get for the inside but that space is dead/really hard to access. So I am looking to see if someone has designed a storage locker that replaces the rear windows that allows you to access that stuff from the outside.

Thanks in advance.

Looks like someone made some gullwing doors for the 5th gen finally

Old Tanker

Thanks in advance.

Land Cruisers and Land Rovers have aftermarket doors, but the 4Runner equivalents are rare, for a reason - the opening on a 4Runner is quite small, with a very large piece of glass making it look big. You would end up with a large door that opens to reveal a small locker inside.

Ditriz

Land Cruisers and Land Rovers have aftermarket doors, but the 4Runner equivalents are rare, for a reason - the opening on a 4Runner is quite small, with a very large piece of glass making it look big. You would end up with a large door that opens to reveal a small locker inside.
That is why I gave up buying this option.

kwill

Observer
I think Velox is the only option. It's exposexual cool but is an expensive option for a minor amount of storage. Several vendors make Molle panels for those windows and, as someone mentioned, you can then stuff soft things (jackets, sleeping bags, tarps, hammocks, etc.) in that space.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles