50W Solar Panel

Step-Hen

Observer
Avoid that Allpowers charge controller like the plague. They frequently don't work (mine never left float mode,) and customer service is somewhere between obnoxious and terrible. This one, one the other hand, works well and is still cheap compared to an MPPT controller that works well.

lchavez

Observer
I have been pleased with Renogy products. I have a folding 60 watt solar kit that I started with and I am now running the 100W eclipse fixed to my roof rack with the wanderer controller. I like the wanderer for it’s simplicity. No screen, no little battery to replace, just works. The three led lights give me a quick visual on what going on. My battery box however does have a screen so I can see charge/draw from there.

I use this to power:
- arb fridge
- Wilson cell booster
- charge devices

The 60W averaged about 10% per day of battery drain. The 100W keeps me topped off.

I rarely use my inverter as this draws constant power. I buy devices that run from 12v cig plug.

Roof rack fit and function was also very important to me The renogy eclipse was smaller and fit my roof rack perfectly, keeping it flush and protected. I do not angle it, just sits flat and out of site. Always doing it’s job when parked or on the go.

Find what works for your setup, environment and intended uses.

Rando

Explorer
Using good stuff, a MPPT controller is much more expensive than a PWM. 2-3x more. Of course there are cheap products out there. Some even know to claim MPPT even though they are only PWM because they can get more money. Offshore marketing is a bunch of liars most of the time.

You must have missed my post a couple above yours - in this size range a quality MPPT is only ~25% more than a quality PWM, not 2 to 3x more. Again, there is no good reason not to go with MPPT.

john61ct

Adventurer
Lots of people say their $12-16 PWM controller works fine.

Personally for me a Victron 75/15 MPPT for $80-100 is the cheapest I'd recommend.

All depends on your priorities.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
You must have missed my post a couple above yours - in this size range a quality MPPT is only ~25% more than a quality PWM, not 2 to 3x more. Again, there is no good reason not to go with MPPT.
I have also found that in this size there are a lot of charge controllers calling themselves MPPT when they are actually PWM.
A charge controller is one are I look to spend a little more money and get a quality part. Doing the research on my solar the panel was relatively simple. But finding the right charge controller was 10x the work of finding the right panel.
There was another solar project that I did. I went the super cheap route. The results, pretty sure the battery that died cost more than what a good charge controller would have.

RacerAV

You may find a 50w panel disappointing as it is so small. Bit like trying to weld by holding a match to steel - the concept is right but you need a bit more.

100w generally produces about 5A in full sun.
agreed, go with 100watt set up, thinking of the future... may need more!

Rando

Explorer
I have also found that in this size there are a lot of charge controllers calling themselves MPPT when they are actually PWM.
A charge controller is one are I look to spend a little more money and get a quality part. Doing the research on my solar the panel was relatively simple. But finding the right charge controller was 10x the work of finding the right panel.
There was another solar project that I did. I went the super cheap route. The results, pretty sure the battery that died cost more than what a good charge controller would have.

The Victron MPPT are about as good as they come, and are definitely true MPPT. Victron has essentially become my one stop shop for high quality and well designed powers system parts of late.

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes not the only good brand but 99% good stuff.

Their Cyrix line of combiners is one exception.

The 712-BMV is a fine AH counting monitor.

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
Thanks for all the info, most of it confused me further LoL

My needs are very small and honestly I could probably get by with out a solar back up but I did decide to go with a better controller but not over the top and a 50W panel due to size and storage etc. Hopefully it will take care of keeping up with LED lights and a fan or two

EPsolar Viewstar VS1024BN PWM Solar Battery Charge Controller 10A 12/24V https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N4QD2SE/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_i_oFFdBbWTHDKZJ

Renogy 50 Watts 12 Volts Monocrystalline Solar Panel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DVPPFDS/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_i_qIFdBb22TMZFF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94