5000 lb trailer with single axle what kind of suspension?

Photobug

I am looking to get my axle swap coordinated for my trailer build. My trailer currently has the original axle from a Ford F350. I am going to be swapping it out for a 7000 lb axle. Then putting a popup camper on top. I am guessing fully loaded the trailer will weigh 5000 lbs. I am nervous about 5000 lbs on a single axle. I don't plan on going to hardcore off road and will likely limit my freeway speeds while towing this rig.

What other things do i need to take into consideration for suspension, stabilization, safety?

Attachments

• 20190930_112336.jpg
    20190930_112336.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
  • 20190930_113000.jpg
    20190930_113000.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 55

CampStewart

Observer
If you are bolting it up to the current springs I would disassemble the spring pack and shackles and clean everything up, Replace the bushings and paint the springs with graphite paint. Id probably replace the shocks. After its all up and running I would consider removing a few leafs and adding airbags

old_CWO

Proper weight distribution is the first thing that comes to mind.

For sure this.

Truck bed conversions often have axle placement that isn't ideal for a trailer and that can get squirrely if not accounted for. With a camper on there, COG becomes an issue as well. I think if it were me I would be looking to get as low as practical, like with a drop axle and shorter tires for example. Car haulers usually have drop axles to help keep that center of gravity more manageable.

There's probably some stuff on the pickup chassis that aren't structural and can be cut off to lose some weight. Every little bit helps

CampStewart

Observer
The photos show 2 doors in front of the axle and one door behind so assuming that the doors are all about the same width thich is how it appears to me I would think it would probably balance out pretty well without a great deal of concern about how it is loaded. When I look at all the added mass and weight in front of the box if anything I would worry about too much tongue weight on the tow vehicle. I have never experience an issue with weight shifted far forward as long as the tow vehicle was up to it. Without knowing a thing about what he plans on putting on top of it or where I would not get too excited about balance. For more stability it might help to add a couple of inches of axle width. With that heavy of a trailer off road I would want to stuff the biggest diameter tire I could get in that wheel well and would trim it if that would help. Again from the photo it looks to me like there might be a few inches that could be gained with a sawzall.

Photobug

Proper weight distribution is the first thing that comes to mind.

I am confident I can dial in the weight distribution, I calculated weight and balance on airplanes in the past. Between all the compartments it would be easy to transfer light furniture and heavy cooking items around to get the tongue weight where it needs to be. I could plan on putting heavy items in the tongue boxes or add a hitch on the back to put a cargo carrier back there if I need to move weight aft.

Teardropper

If it were me, I'd order a Dexter torsion axle specifically for the weight of your trailer. I'm scratching my head over a 5,000-pound pop-up though since the factory ones weigh between 1,500 and 3,000.

?

Tony

Photobug

If it were me, I'd order a Dexter torsion axle specifically for the weight of your trailer. I'm scratching my head over a 5,000-pound pop-up though since the factory ones weigh between 1,500 and 3,000.

?

Tony

Trailer is about 2,000 now, pop up weighs about 2,000. I am estimating a few hundred pounds of gear in the lockers, maybe some bikes kayaks, etc. Total weight trailer and camper would be 4500 lbs minimum.

By torsion are you referring to the half axles?

old_CWO

So with the height, weight, width and overall length you are getting into with the camper/trailer combo, why not a small travel trailer or Casita/Scamp instead? Seems like it would be a lot less hassle for comparable living space and similar tow size.

Just curious.

CampStewart

Observer
OP if you calculated the weight distribution than how much weight are you figuring on the axle, and on the tongue? I would probably look to boxing the existing frame or building a new one if I went to a torsion.

billiebob

I drove for a living. 23K# on a single axle trailer was like driving a Corvette. It is all about design, balance, engineering. I would sooner tow a single axle with duals than a tandem axle with singles. But tandem axles give much more flexibility. With a single axle, you must get it right...... and there is little room for change.

Spring wise, I'd stick with leafs since the structure is already there.

Last edited:

Photobug

So with the height, weight, width and overall length you are getting into with the camper/trailer combo, why not a small travel trailer or Casita/Scamp instead? Seems like it would be a lot less hassle for comparable living space and similar tow size.

Just curious.

Now you tell me, I would have saved so much money if I had thought of that before.:)

We had a 19 foot travel trailer about a decade ago. Had a great summer in it then sold it for a slight profit before we moved. We were looking at something similar but this is what I wanted. I wanted an outdoor based camping platform with an indoor option. RIght now I use my truck with cap and storage as a camper. Except for sleeping we spend all our time outside. I want to use the utility bed and maybe a 270 awning to create an outdoor kitchen, chair storage, and other toy storage.

I see huge RVs and travel trailers that have outdoor kitchens, awnings, I wanted that is a smaller package and think the storage the utility bed gives me the opportunity to create something unique. If my truck was not already so dialed in to carry lumber and other construction supplies and be able to camp in I would likely be putting a pop up camper directly on it. If we really like the pop up thing we may look at another truck to use strictly as a camping rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz