5 tire rotation chart or method

Abe Froman

Adventurer
what is the preferred/proven sequence for a 5 tire rotation.
I have 5 bfg MT 35" with 3,300 miles on them that are due for their first rotation on my jeep.

andoor

Observer
Rears to front

LF to spare

RF to LR

Spare to RR

I agree, I have been using this method for a while now. With the BFG MT's on my jeep they are super loud for a few hundred miles after rotation then quiet down after they wear a bit.

4wdCamper

3-tire-rotation-with-spare-580x330.jpg

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I have been doing a 5 tire rotation on my 2015 until recently. This summer, one of my rotations resulted in a really bad vibration. I assumed I had thrown a weight. After a visit to a tire shop, I was told that particular wheel ( formerly in the spare position) was calling for over 14oz of weight.

I've been wondering if the pressure from the mounting pads on the back of the Jeep could have created a "cup" condition in combination with high temps and / or sun and time on the back of the Jeep.

Anyone else have similar conditions or experiences? I'd like to get my overall wear and mileage back, but not at the expense of horrible vibration.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I honestly don't think it matters. The point of rotating tires is to expose each tire to every corner of the vehicle. The tires don't really care which order they get there.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I honestly don't think it matters. The point of rotating tires is to expose each tire to every corner of the vehicle. The tires don't really care which order they get there.

That is not correct. Steering tires wear different than drive tires. For example, swapping steering and drive tires side to side on the same axle would be pointless.

Charles R

Adventurer
The rotation pattern is also different depending on carcass construction (bias ply vs radial) and some tread patterns. At least it used to be. I haven't paid attention to bias for years.

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Explorer
That is not correct. Steering tires wear different than drive tires. For example, swapping steering and drive tires side to side on the same axle would be pointless.

So you're saying that if the camber is different side-to-side it won't actually make a bit of difference in wear? And if the weight of the vehicle is different side-to-side (like say on a bunch of Fords that have the driver and gas tank on the same side) then swapping side to side won't make a bit of difference in wear? Then on a 4 tire rotation, why bother with crossing the sides. Front to back is WAY easier.

And if you swap side-to-side, you take a tire that was rotating one way and make it rotate the other way. All those accelerating forces on one side of the tread block and braking forces on the other side of the tread block now get switched.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94