5 lug to 6 lug hubs - why is this such a pain?

60Dan

Explorer
OK guys, I have a LV-416 explorer trailer (made by Sierra 4x4 trailers - not the current Sierra 4x4 trailer company, but the one that went out of business years ago).

I want to replace the current 5 lug wheels with a couple of 6 lug 80 series landcruiser wheels.
Every trailer place I called in the Nashville area tell me that if I just swap out the 5 lug hubs for 6 lug hubs, I wont be able to get a set of bearings that will fit.

Ive seen how guys on here have put 6 lug wheels on old M416 trailers and the like, so why does this seem like such a pain in the ***?

Do I have to get a new axle, should I just use a 5 to 6 lug adapter, or can I just change out the hubs?

Thanks

edit: trailer also has trailer brakes - not sure if that matters or not
______

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
When I bought my Horizon it had 5 lug hubs on it, and I wanted to convert to 6 lug hubs to match my FJC. After speaking with Mario at Adventure Trailers I decided to use adaptors, and have not had any issues with them. I know there is often a general concern about adaptors on a vehicle, but I think a trailer presents much lower stress levels than a vehicle, particularly a driven wheel, and so I'd probably go that way.

youwillforget

Adventurer
Axis out of Elkhart, Indiana. 574 266 8282 they make a lot of the axels that are available retail they do custom orders by hub face and spring perch center measurements, they also have over runs, miss measures or seconds they offer at a deep discount. Dont forget to check the center hole in the wheel. I had to uses spacers to fit the factory 01 Wrangler wheels on my trailer. You can find bearing shops BerryBearing is ous and they can match bearings and races and seals however get out where you are stuck with retail boat and RV shops and it will be extra hard to replace them if you dont carry spares. New axel gets you easily replaced parts and brakes as an option.

Last edited:

60Dan

Explorer
These are all very helpful responses, thanks to everyone for the links, phone numbers and advice thus far.

The wheels are 6 on 5.5.

How do I determine the current 5 lug hub size for correct fitment of an adapter and if I need it to double up as a spacer or not?

Thanks!

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Dan- It may be possible for you to have the old studs punched out and new studs drilled and punched in.
You should shoot me a PM, and I can get you the number and address for Toddco suspension in Alabama. They were able to drill my 5 on 5's to 6 on 5's with no problems and it worked like a charm. I want to say it was a $90 labor charge, plus shipping and cost of the new studs.
Dendy

Woods

Explorer
I'm not a trailer axle expert, but I can tell you what I went through. I wanted to run 5 on 5 wheels. The only hubs that are made with a 5 on 5 pattern are for a 3500 lbs. axle. I believe the spindle is called a 1 1/8" spindle. The lighter axles use a 1" spindle. You may be running into the same issue.

I've bought some spacers from these guys: http://www.ezaccessory.com/. They should have adapters too. While I was at it, I purchased some solid lug nuts from them too.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
If I remember correctly, the LV-416 made by 4x4 Trailers of Nevada used a 3500 lb Dexter axle. Your VIN label if correctly filled out will show the GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating). You should be able to confirm your axle size from the VIN label.

The bearing & seals used by Dexter, Alko, Hayes and several other major manufacturers of 3500 lb axles are interchangeable.

The complete idler hub assy, bearing & seal combo from Dexter is PN#84655UC1
The complete brake hub assy. bearing & seal combo from Dexter is PN#84656UC3
Call Redneck Trailer Supplies at 417-846-5210 for a store near you. If you're not sure, drop us a line or give a call. We'll help you sort it out.

60Dan

Explorer
OK I Called Redneck trailer supplies as suggested. Spoke with a really helpful guy by the name of Mike at the Alabama location, he had me read off the numbers printed on the inner and outer bearings. Turns out a 6 lug hub will fit just fine.
$84 each plus shipping (little more because I have trailer brakes)

According to the VIN on my trailer, the GAWR for the axle is 2850lbs. But its basically a 3500lb axle, its just rated at 2850 because the weakest point is 2850lbs somewhere on the trailer (this info from the guys at RTS)

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice, i will post before and after pics when they arrive

:luxhello:

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Looking forward to pictures of the hub work.
Sell the old hubs and bearings and recoupe some $$$
Mark Harley

60Dan

Explorer
Thats a good idea!

If no one emails, or messages me I'll put them in the classifieds once I get everything taken off and cleaned

Pics to follow

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
OK I Called Redneck trailer supplies as suggested. Spoke with a really helpful guy by the name of Mike at the Alabama location, he had me read off the numbers printed on the inner and outer bearings. Turns out a 6 lug hub will fit just fine.
$84 each plus shipping (little more because I have trailer brakes)

According to the VIN on my trailer, the GAWR for the axle is 2850lbs. But its basically a 3500lb axle, its just rated at 2850 because the weakest point is 2850lbs somewhere on the trailer (this info from the guys at RTS)

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice, i will post before and after pics when they arrive

:luxhello:

Dan, glad to hear that the part numbers worked out for you. Sounds like you'll be on the road soon with the old reliable Toyota bolt pattern.

youwillforget

Adventurer
Glad to hear you have the parts coming, are you getting a whole kit (hub/drum, brakes, bearings, seal, lug studs, lug nuts dust cap) for $86 each? I bought a used 16 foot trailer with a shattered hub and got the hub with drum for $36 from Axis for the 3500 and $24 each for 2000 axe with no drum. Are you going to match the studs and lug nuts to the TV? I like the idea of 1 wheel wrench so I plan on replacing mine. You can check wheel fit by punching the 5 studs out of the hubs you have and see if the wheel goes all the way on. My jeep wheels wouldn't fit without spacers so I got lucky with a narrow axel.

Last edited:

60Dan

Explorer
Youwillforget .... that is just for the new 6 lug hubs with the racers and seal in. Im going to be using my existing dust cap and bearings as they are in good shape.

After looking around the web, I could have got them cheaper, but the guys at Redneck Trailer Supply were so helpful and patient with me, I felt they deserved the sale.

Im hoping I dont need spacers, but wont know until I test fit everything.

Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles