5 lug to 6 lug hubs - why is this such a pain?

60Dan

Explorer
They are on!

OK got the new 6 lug hubs in.
I will say, that for those of you ordering from RTS, make sure you ask for grease seals when you order .... they never asked me, I guess I assumed they would be included! Not a big deal just meant I had to go out and find some.

OK some before and after pics

Before:
2011-11-10_13-57-23_643.jpg

After:
2011-11-14_16-18-39_331.jpg

New hubs compared to the old ones:
2011-11-14_10-47-41_533.jpg

Re-packed the bearings and installed:
2011-11-14_11-49-51_237.jpg

Rattle Canned my wheels to match the truck (truck ones are powdercoated but couldnt justify the cost to do these, so painted and clear coated them - came out pretty good I think (pic shows primer)
2011-11-14_12-34-59_510.jpg

Here is my only concern .... I only have about 3/4" space from the tire to the bolt on the leaf spring hanger and about 1-1/2 inches from the tire to the body of the trailer.

2011-11-14_16-19-24_328.jpg

2011-11-14_16-19-12_84.jpg

Do I need a spacer?

The trailer is still on jacks as the left axle brakes are worn so Im going to replace them while im changing the hubs.
Im concerned that when the trailer has a load, there may be some rubbing issues.

Thoughts on this?

lowenbrau

Explorer
Do I need a spacer?

The trailer is still on jacks as the left axle brakes are worn so Im going to replace them while im changing the hubs.
Im concerned that when the trailer has a load, there may be some rubbing issues.

Thoughts on this?

I don't think it will rub. There is very little opportunity for axle/frame articulation on a trailer. Maybe on a big hit with the trailer loaded heavily on one side but even then, what's the worst that will happen? A bit of lost paint on the tub?

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Youwillforget .... that is just for the new 6 lug hubs with the racers and seal in. Im going to be using my existing dust cap and bearings as they are in good shape.

After looking around the web, I could have got them cheaper, but the guys at Redneck Trailer Supply were so helpful and patient with me, I felt they deserved the sale.

Im hoping I dont need spacers, but wont know until I test fit everything.

Good luck

There are cheaper import brands on the market but the Dexters are by far the best quality available, that's why we use them. The drums you removed are are also Dexter and will be serviceable.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
The spacing looks close but ok!
If you have enough stud length get a set or 3/8" spacers and try them.
That would gain a little more breathing room.

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
Would you do me a favor please? If your trailer is still on jacks, would you just barely loosen the lug nuts and see if the wheel moves around on the hub? You have a hub centric wheel on a non hub centric drum and I want to see if the lug nuts are enough to keep the wheel properly centered. I have purchased the 6 lug axle and want to run Tacoma wheels.
Thanks.
Jeff

Hedge

Adventurer
NA-spec 1993-1994 80s have conical washers and 1995-1997 have flanged. I was under the impression that conical = lug-centric and flanged = hub-centric. If so, it would depend upon from which year his 80 wheels came.

hakalugi

expoooooo?
NA-spec 1993-1994 80s have conical washers and 1995-1997 have flanged. I was under the impression that conical = lug-centric and flanged = hub-centric. If so, it would depend upon from which year his 80 wheels came.

oh, and the lug nuts that came with the hubs were wrong for the wheels pictured above, which are lug-centric - they need the lug nuts that extend into the bolt area - think "aluminum wheel lug nuts" vs. steelie nuts. the kits from etrailier come with the angled lugs that pinch a steel wheel, and will damage an aluminum mag/wheel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94