5 dangerous things all kids should do!!

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
http://www.ted.com/talks/gever_tulley_on_5_dangerous_things_for_kids.html

I totaly agree with this guys viewpoint....I think the "wussification" of our children is getting out of control...

every year our daycare looses more and more fun toys and forced to buy things that will keep the clumsy kids able to later become MOTOR VEHICLE DRIVERS!!

I know I thank my parents for letting us do "dangerous" things...gave us an advantage over other kids...

heck...my wife was 27 before she EVER flew a kite!!...my daughter has her OWN welding helmet to watch me weld!!..and isnt afraid of powertools/airtools..she's inventive and good at imaginiary play...IF you can get her to turn the TV off without a big fuss...

photoman

Explorer
I try to let my son do a lot of things but have realized I am a little guilty of being 'overly protective' at times. I have ordered the book and look forward to letting my young boy and his friends do all 50 dangerous things. :victory:

http://fiftydangerousthings.com/

durango_60

Explorer
I've knocked of three out of the five so far, this weekend we'll be pitching some spears!!!

Great post! It really got me thinking that I must be sexist cause I've made an effort with my son to do these things but not my daughter.

kjp1969

Explorer
Brilliant. Looks like we have to make a spear and take something apart this weekend. My kids have done the rest already :)

91runner

Observer
Unfortunately I can't read it on my blackberry, but since the odds are my son will be getting a single fire .22 for his birthday I'm not to worried.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
I've knocked of three out of the five so far, this weekend we'll be pitching some spears!!!

Great post! It really got me thinking that I must be sexist cause I've made an effort with my son to do these things but not my daughter.

im in the oppisite situation...I do all these things with my daughter...of course she's 6yrs and the other 2 (boy and girl) are only just 3 1/2 MONTHS!!:sombrero:

I grew up with 3 sisters and 2 brothers...watched my dad make my sisters do housework while the boys went and played...at my house now I probably do the majority of the housework AND the outside work...my daughter gets to help no matter what Im doing (ususally...unless its really dangerous)...

and we have a few "unbreakable" rules...and I've already seen the neighbor fail at these (and she watches her granddaughter 24/7..so you would think she would have experiance with her own kids!)

RULES!

RULE 1. NEVER get into or under a vehicle if a grownup is not with you..matter of fact NEVER get under a vehicle EVER...if you cant reach your ball/toy...get a broom/stick/grownup to get it for you..(we have large 4x4's and Im always afraid of running her over...which leads to rule 2...)

RULE 2. IF someone is moving a vehicle...you will be asked if you want to ride..if you dont..you MUST BE where you can see the driver and the driver can see you AND WAVE TO YOU THAT YOU ARE IN A SAFE PLACE...just because she can see me/mom/driver doesnt mean we can see where she is at..we communicate where we are going to move the vehicle and how..and that she must be either in a "safe" place or a specific spot...

RULE 3. IF a vehicle is moving...DO NOT EVER approach it..this goes for anyone arriving or leaving..any vehicle that is approaching you..car/truck/mailman/delivery/quad/bike/tractor/lawnmower...you dont ever go towards it till it has STOPPED moving...and you must see that the driver sees you and lets you KNOW they see you!!

RULE 4...if Im welding...get your welding helmet and you can watch...but dont let the dogs in the garage..they arnt smart enough to not look at the light and they will go blind..

Rule 5...dont pet dogs till you get approval of the person thats with them..NEVER stick your hand thru a fence to pet a dog..if your wrestling with OUR dogs..and they yelp...let them up..your being too rough..:elkgrin:

rule 6...you can have some pop if you ask..but dont drink it all..and announce if its the last of it and ask if you can have it (someone drank all of my soda one day while we were out in the field workin and when I was thirsty there wasnt any left...papa-NOT HAPPY...then missy had to go potty...)

rule 7. if dad says no..dont go ask mom...cus dad will find out and you wont get to do it anyway..:coffeedrink:

and then theres some things she's learned...

if your asked to do something and you do it...when YOU ask someone else to do something you'll probably get it (shes asked to feed the dogs..your asked to goto the playground...everybody says yes!)

dads diet pepsi can make all injurys miraculously better..

if your mad..and you slam your bedroom door...expect dad to be in your room on .0002 seconds after the door was slammed...you might not get a whoopin...but you will be reminded that we "dont slam doors"...

if your mad about something...dont hold it in...tell someone..we will listen even when we're mad...your opinion counts..but sometimes we overrule..

dont lie..we know better...or you will tell on yourself anyway..the truth is easier to remember..

bringing dad a cookie...(that you secretly want for yourself .."I brought this for you!...you dont want it? can I have it?)...will get dad fed and you will have no cookie..:sombrero:

no ammount of begging will get you something..but being good will get you just about anything reasonable..

you always have 2 options with any given task...you can do it...or you can do it crying..:eek:

and the last one I can think of...

YOUR MOM IS MEANER than dad..just because she doesnt raise her voice doesnt mean you wont be cryin in a few seconds...(this goes for dad too!!)...when in trouble and someone says "im gonna call your dad"...she always starts to behave or says "call my mom instead" and then behaves...when she's hurtin or sick..she wants dad...

my wife sometimes laughs at the 2 of us...and sometime wants to strangle the 2 of us...but we're 2 best buddies...so its ok..we're either bein good or in trouble TOGETHER....

kjp1969

Explorer

Here's a couple to chew on:

You slam your door, you lose your door: Out come the hinge pins, the door goes in the garage, and you have no privacy until further notice. And your sisters will make fun of you for losing your door. (we have daughters)

You will get in more trouble for lying about brushing your teeth than for not brushing your teeth.

If you do not eat your dinner, you will go to bed hungry. We do not run a restaurant, you do not get to place an order. Missing a meal has yet to kill anyone.

If you are excused from the table for bad manners or any other reason, dinner is over for you. Don't worry, you won't be bored. You can immediately start cleaning the kitchen, loading the dishwasher, etc.

You get an allowance, you have to do chores. You cannot trade the two.

If your attitude needs adjustment, that's okay, we have plenty of extra chores to remind you that you should contribute to the household. (Folding laundry is a favorite here.)

We have a chore chart that rotates 9 chores between the three of them each week. One of my daughters thought it would be cute to rearrange the chores so that she could perpetually avoid cleaning up after the dog, so she got to do all 9 chores for the next week. The rule that grew out of it was: mess with your sisters and you get to do their chores.

Do good and ye shall be rewarded with extra responsibilities and privileges, like going to work with Dad, earning extra money washing cars, etc.

Its amazing how seldom we actually have to follow through on consequences. Usually it happens once or twice, then they know that "we mean it" and it doesn't happen again.

TreeTopFlyer

Adventurer
We have a chore chart that rotates 9 chores between the three of them each week. One of my daughters thought it would be cute to rearrange the chores so that she could perpetually avoid cleaning up after the dog, so she got to do all 9 chores for the next week. The rule that grew out of it was: mess with your sisters and you get to do their chores.

:wings: Awesome

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
As i posted in the other kid/rules thread i think the rules here are pretty good.
As a youngster I was not only encouraged to play with fire, knives, tools, etc. I started driving a Jeep/w a small flat bed trailer when I was 8 which quickly grew to driving the 1ton dually with a stock trailer when I was 10. I was given my first bb gun at 7 and my first .22 at 8 (after learning several hard lessons with the BB gun. I went to work with dad during the summer breaks. he gave me hammers screw drivers and a hand saw. He was a carpenter on school projects. I was generally shown where the biggest pile of useless lumber was and I had a good ol time unless dad needed me to sweep out a room. I started raising beef for 4-H at 9 and was required to do all of the hard stuff with dad watching but I had to do it. yeah I got bumps and bruises, cuts and scraps. went to the Dr 3-4 times for various things, but i would not trade all the lessons I learned as a kid for anything. I just hope I am able to give my kid the same lessons i learned with out big brother butting in to much

Mamontof

Explorer
WEll if the Kids a Gentle Delicate Flavors let them group in neighbor garden , prefer wild Flavors they have a style to survive .

Do not touch knife you can cut your self , do not touch matches you can burn your self .....well what a hell a Man can group from that kid ??

Let kids be kids if they did not educate them selfs hay they know fire burn :Wow1:.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles