5.4 motor, truck vs van

Navi

Adventurer
Does anyone know if the 2v truck motor and 2wd transmission is a direct swap over to the van? Any differences between the two? Im hoping its plug and play with all the same connections. I have a spare truck motor/transmission from a 2001 laying around with less than 60k miles and want to swap them both into a van. Keeping it 2wd for this project.

I know my 6.0 Van motor has quite a few differences from the truck version.

hobovan

'00 E350SD PSD
You're trying to put a 5.4 from a truck in a 6.0 van, or you're trying to put a 5.4 from a truck in a 5.4 van? Ty

hobovan

'00 E350SD PSD
A '01 with the 5.4 should have the 4r100 and, as far as I've been told, they are all the same as long as you are going gas to gas. Not sure what van you're working on, but a 250/350 will have a 4r100. A 150 would have a 4r70. Regarding the engine, the truck engine makes slightly more power (5hp,) but I don't know if this is a computer thing or a parts thing. I will continue to dig. edit: bore/stroke/compression ratios all the same.

Last edited:

Navi

Adventurer
With more digging. The motor is a 2001. Transmission is a 1999. Out of a 1999 F150. The motor in the truck was replaced under warranty in 2001. Motor has 30k miles. Transmission has 60k miles.

The van hasnt been bought yet. I see high mileage 5.4 vans pop up all the time. Once my research is done I'll jump on one of them.

Navi

Adventurer
I can go with any van. E150, E250, E350, etc. Whichever would be easiest for the motor/trans swap.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
We did it to our shop van, the yard said that the only difference was one exhaust manifold but we found a bunch of little things that didn't swap over. Wish I had an exact list but there were a ton of little differences in hoses, intake, etc. The van runs so good its nuts, everyone that drives it says "what have you done to that van?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles