5/16 synthetic winch line on 9500# winch.

Toyaddict

Curious if anyone has experience with running a 5/16" rope on a 9500# winch or similar. The ropes I've been looking at have an average breaking strength around 11000#, I don't like the lack of safety factor, close to half what my current 3/8" line is rated to. Masterpull has 5/16 superline rated much higher but the price is also quite high.

The vehicle in question is a non "built" 1st gen Tundra so it isn't crazy heavy. The reason I want to go smaller is for having more line capacity. I cut my 3/8 line a bit shorter than I should have, it's ~55' usable. Reason for shortening is the winch is entirely hidden in my bumper so I can't see if it's bunching on one side during a pull and I could really use more line. Hopefully this rambling makes sense, thanks in advance.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I'd pass on 5/16 winch line, even with a good rating. There is a durability component to running synthetic winch line for most people. For me, running 3/8 or 10mm winch line in most applications, even on something like a 6000lb winch, gives me a line that will last over a decade.

Winch line extensions are light and easy to use if you need to add length. If the 3/8 line you have now is in good shape, I would go this way. A winch line extension can also be used for many more things than just with the winch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles