5.0 Coyote motor in an E series?

wjeeper

I was under the impression that these motors were really wide at the valve covers. Probably make for a tight fit!

Jb1rd

Explorer
I posted the article link without reading first, kinda got ahead of myself :) After reading it, you sir are correct and there seems to be quite a few other hurdles as well. Oh well a man can still dream!!!

Jb1rd

Explorer
After reading that article I would say that is a very concise synopsis :yikes: I wish I could massage a few more ponies out of my 5.4, the mountains around here are taxing on that poor thing and I am still essentially just a cargo van without any of my interior build out or pop top, so it's only going to get more burdened. It does great on flat land, but going over passes, of which there are many, it struggles!!
Many hurdles.

MrWesson

Adventurer
Can't say but I was given a F150 by enterprise and fell in love with that engine. The truck actually hauled ***(not just for a truck).

I DD a LR3 and wife drives a loaded Genesis sedan with a 390hp 4.6.

I'd love to have that engine in anything I own.

After reading that article I would say that is a very concise synopsis :yikes: I wish I could massage a few more ponies out of my 5.4, the mountains around here are taxing on that poor thing and I am still essentially just a cargo van without any of my interior build out or pop top, so it's only going to get more burdened. It does great on flat land, but going over passes, of which there are many, it struggles!!

Wasn't that engine supercharged in many vehicles?

Sounds like a reasonably simple retrofit with some tuning.

dar395

Adventurer
My question would be why? Here the Ford 5.4 is called one of the ten best engines ever built (in the world!), we take ours to the mountains and have never been let down always power to spare!

Jb1rd

Explorer
Can you, or someone here school me a little on this please? I have a Quigley converted E350 EB with the Agile RIP kit and 285/75/16 tires, I would love to go to 35's but I really do not think it is necessary or going to add any benefit to me other than "COOL" factor (based on the majority of use) I would however like to get 17" or 18" rims at some point in the future so I can grade my brakes but other than that I feel content with the 33" size range. I do not know what gears are in there but I know the PO did not change them so they are what Quigely originally spec'd. How do I find out what gears are currently installed and what should I be looking for in the new gears?
Sounds like it might be time to gear down the axles!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
There's an easy way to calculate what gear ratio you need once you add larger tires. I'll give an example---

new tire dia divided by the stock dis (35/30) =1.16. Multiply that by the stock ratio (3.73?) and that will get you where you need to be. This example gives you a 4.32 ratio which doesn't exist so you then go up or down from there depending on how the van is used and loaded. I like to give 5.4s plenty of gear, run 4.56 or 4.88 with 35s.

Jb1rd

Explorer
Thanks Chris,
That being said, could I run 4.56 gears with 33"s and have the ability/option to run 35"s if my bigger is better gene kicks in?
There's an easy way to calculate what gear ratio you need once you add larger tires. I'll give an example---

new tire dia divided by the stock dis (35/30) =1.16. Multiply that by the stock ratio (3.73?) and that will get you where you need to be. This example gives you a 4.32 ratio which doesn't exist so you then go up or down from there depending on how the van is used and loaded. I like to give 5.4s plenty of gear, run 4.56 or 4.88 with 35s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles