4xFish 2014 JKUR Build

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
Awesome photos and great build! Love seeing it sporadically around town. We gotta meet up soon and grab a beer :beer:

Also, love the idea of a gear attic in the backseat... Never thought of doing that!

m(a)ce

Adventurer
thanks guys- just getting around to updating this. @jjohnson-yes let's do that! :beer:

so spring has been busy but we've done a decent amount of fishing
37f1aa9842a9143781e64762a993576a.jpg

as for the Jeep we just switched to the IPF 900 XLS LEDs. liking the style (look like the old 901s) and throw nice light

4993e04af0632d85b6a6fe4263233d18.jpg

728433b2b9705608dd5d9765020383c7.jpg

note: if you're running the old 900s you'll need to swap the connectors or loom

4e2f98606329cbf75b854081919fd3a9.jpg

we've also been testing the new (to the US) AluCab RTT and Shadow awning. definitely a quality combo. the RTT is stout on the outside and choice on the inside.

11b9e48fe07086fc0e6b52c978bd5741.jpg

It's gonna be hard not to have the Shadow awning- deploys/stows super easily and covers the side and back of Jeep fully. no poles needed and it closes up in seconds.

hope they develop a mount for my AEV rack because it's the way to go.

9855c477b3ed370c8c135279d3533dd2.jpg

Next mod? I'm thinking hard about a Goose Gear setup in the near future.

delivered by winged monkeys

Last edited:

lenny6753

Your new jku looks great? Do you mind if I ask you a couple question? Is the silver JKU with the two kayaks your old one with the 2.5 inch lift? If so, what size tires were u running in that picture? How do you like the 3.5 inch lift vs the 2.5 inch lift? I'm trying to decide which to purchase. Thanks.

m(a)ce

Adventurer
Your new jku looks great? Do you mind if I ask you a couple question? Is the silver JKU with the two kayaks your old one with the 2.5 inch lift? If so, what size tires were u running in that picture? How do you like the 3.5 inch lift vs the 2.5 inch lift? I'm trying to decide which to purchase. Thanks.

Thanks! ask away!

yup the last lift on the silver one was the AEV 2.5 (ran a couple different OME setups before that) on KM2 35s.

I really liked the 2.5 and we currently run it on our 2dr Rubicon.

But I'd have to say I'm a convert to the 3.5. It's a well rounded kit and it's worth the extra $ IMHO. The on road improvement is noticeable- especially if you're planning on bumpers, armor, rack, etc.

In the end it comes down to your budget, tire size you're planning to run, weight & types of trails you'll see. What are you planning?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lenny6753

It's going to be more of a expedition style for backcountry camping, fishing, hunting, and extended cross country trips like Alaska and back. I'll do dirt roads, some trails, but in the end it is still my daily driver(about 90 miles round trip per day). I'll keep the stock bumpers. I think they are actually AEV design. I'll add a winch and maybe a fridge. I already have a rhino rack platform and Yakima box on top. I'm up in the air between the 2.5 AEV lift with 305/70r17's or the 3.5 AEV lift with 35x12.5x17 or 315/70r17. I only want to do this once and do it right. I don't want to re-gear or have too much power loss and bad mpg so am kind of skiddish of the 3.5 and 35's. I have a 2015 JKUR with auto and 3.73 gearing. What do you think?

m(a)ce

Adventurer
It's going to be more of a expedition style for backcountry camping, fishing, hunting, and extended cross country trips like Alaska and back. I'll do dirt roads, some trails, but in the end it is still my daily driver(about 90 miles round trip per day). I'll keep the stock bumpers. I think they are actually AEV design. I'll add a winch and maybe a fridge. I already have a rhino rack platform and Yakima box on top. I'm up in the air between the 2.5 AEV lift with 305/70r17's or the 3.5 AEV lift with 35x12.5x17 or 315/70r17. I only want to do this once and do it right. I don't want to re-gear or have too much power loss and bad mpg so am kind of skiddish of the 3.5 and 35's. I have a 2015 JKUR with auto and 3.73 gearing. What do you think?

I'll start by saying I've seen more people kick themselves for not going 35s first time around so definitely consider that. To me the 4dr looks pretty natural with 35s and smiles per mile are way high.

the 305/70/17 or something like the 285/75/17 will definitely get you through that kind of terrain and give better mpg/feeling of power than a 35.

I've driven a Jeep almost identical to mine on 3.73s (I have 4.10s) and it was noticeable but totally fine. I'd just search this a little more to reinforce your decision.

if you're REALLY undecided one option could be a 2.5 and get 35s. 2.5 will work with any of those setups and still ride nicely. if the 35s end up being too big it will be easier to sell a 35 than something else. I'd also go KO2s based on your commute.

my final 2 cents: for any of my friends that now ask lift/tire combo I recommend the 3.5/35s for JKUs and 2.5/285s for JKs.

hope this helps!

delivered by winged monkeys

We ran the AEV 2.5 with 35s - my only complaint is that the 2.5 can NOT handle the weight of gear and a RTT. We did cram a lot into a two door ( m(a)ce can confirm that ) but the rear sag was extreme. Our JKU build will run 3.5 with 35s.

jeffe

Observer
I just installed the 2.5 inch AEV with 285/75/17 on my JKU and it sits perfect. I think with a true 35 it might look awkward. I also installed the AEV front bumper with a winch and it seems to have brought back a slight rake to the rig. As other said, there can be some sagging. Regardless, I plan on adding a bumper to the rear anyways which will hopefully help level it out.
c8a682170a7ae4e271104a2fbb2933e6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffe

Observer
some rake is good, your rig will drive better, and take weight better. looks awesome btw!

So now it's settled more and the rake isn't as dramatic anymore. But thanks for the kind words!! Already thinking I maybe should've gone to 35s

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
So now it's settled more and the rake isn't as dramatic anymore. But thanks for the kind words!! Already thinking I maybe should've gone to 35s

It looks great to me too! :beer:

I think the tire to rim size is perfect, and the fender clearance to tires looks spot on too.
All in all, I'd be thrilled if it was mine. :victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles