4xFish 2014 JKUR Build

TrekboxX

Supporting Sponsor - TrekboxX
Build looks great! Question- it looks like the AEV rack is riveted together. Have you found this to be durable over time? Is it quiet? I know some who've had a front runner which bolts together have had some god awful squeaking when the body twists off road. I'd love to switch from my current heavy round pipe rack to an extrusion one, but I'm afraid of the dreaded creaking.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Trekboxx first off your products look amazing. Second. If you are only running your hard top have a look at teraflex nebo rack. It's an awesome setup.

TrekboxX

Supporting Sponsor - TrekboxX
Thanks. I don't have a Jeep, I was just more inquiring about the rack and his experience. I love the idea of an extrusion rack. A round bar rack stinks, frankly. No place to tie stuff down and mounting things semi-permanent is a major chore. I don't want to hijack the thread.

BTW- I think the tires look perfect. And 35's would look perfect, too... Can't go wrong there!

m(a)ce

Adventurer
jeffe- your Jeep is looking good! it does look nicely balanced with that tire/lift combo. I'd run those tires until their dumpster food and then reevaluate. 35s are a little stuffed looking on that lift but when I had them I dug the combo.

Build looks great! Question- it looks like the AEV rack is riveted together. Have you found this to be durable over time? Is it quiet? I know some who've had a front runner which bolts together have had some god awful squeaking when the body twists off road. I'd love to switch from my current heavy round pipe rack to an extrusion one, but I'm afraid of the dreaded creaking.

a45d20be600d27888ea58afcf5692878.jpg

thank you!

the AEV rack has been a winner. I knew it would be fine with the kayaks and Oz tent strapped down but wasn't sure how heavier loads would fair. it's completely quiet when your load is secure. it's lightweight, low profile so wind noise is minimal and freedom panels still pop off easily. the rack has a couple light scrapes on the platform from the gear.

0231f504e2ddee6abf0f76b1834d5a39.jpg

only negative so far is all but 1 of the original AEV puffy stickers fell off. otherwise it's been a very good purchase.

04746d9e6cf65f62b182f05747487763.jpg

I wasn't sure how bigger loads (RTTs) would fair- but they've worked out fine too. Im checking out another model James Baroud recently and rack totally handles it.

71af4fa8a18406d784a7055c8e2f21f5.jpg

On light trails (like the beautiful ones at Bald Eagle we hit recently during Mid Atlantic Overland Fest) you forget the tent is actually up there. We just went to Rausch to hit some rocks and the setup was solid. only noise I've picked up is occasional rattle from tent to front most mounting point when on washboards. I think I need tighten the tent mount points. obviously a little foam would deaden it too.

f15ad8549daaf32d2c3f782750441069.jpg

We also had fortunate opportunity to test the new Alucab RTT. it's a sweet tent with lots of mounting points for gear including roof bars for kayaks. to mount that the AEV platform was removed and the tent was mounted to loadbars that utilized the AEV rack feet. it's on the larger side of tents but the mounting points took it like a champ.

Matt - 4xfish

Last edited:

jeffe

Observer
It looks great to me too! :beer:

I think the tire to rim size is perfect, and the fender clearance to tires looks spot on too.
All in all, I'd be thrilled if it was mine. :victory:

The kind words always help settle my stomach, thanks guys! The ride is superb and actually better than stock. I added a Hellwig front and rear sway bar and the ride on the highway is much more planted. I just plan to disconnect my JKS quicker disconnects whenever I get on the trail. Highly recommend the setup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kojackJKU

hmmmmmm. Maybe I will do the same. Run hellwigs with the JKS quick discos. How do they work while connected off road?

Last edited:

kojackJKU

started reading about this, I need more information on how the hellwigs work on and off road. I dont rock crawl, so will they still give some articulation or do we have to disco off road?

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
started reading about this, I need more information on how the hellwigs work on and off road. I dont rock crawl, so will they still give some articulation or do we have to disco off road?

Hellwig sells a complete kit that comes with their disco's etc. Haven't heard any complaints from those I've know that run it. Our '08 JK runs the antirock front/back but it is set up at a rockcrawler only. The road manners for 38's was surprisingly good. Other than typical heim noise and replacing a couple due to very hard use they have been good to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier