4xe

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
We're seriously considering a 4xE. The Rubicon, with cold weather package, tow group, and possibly the safety packages. The fuel economy boost plus top down doors off quiet exploring is nice. Plus, we make the electricity for it up on our roof. We'll miss the growl our current JLUR has with the 3.6. My local dealer has 5 or 6 4xEs on order. They started building them in December, but every one that's been built is in storage and everyone who has pre-ordered them has been getting shipping delays since the beginning of Feb. Current update from Jeep is estimated ship dates end of March for early April delivery to dealers. Apparently they did a similar delay with the Pacifica hybrid while they worked out some last minute bugs. We'll see! Can't wait to test drive one!

autism family travels

We're seriously considering a 4xE. The Rubicon, with cold weather package, tow group, and possibly the safety packages. The fuel economy boost plus top down doors off quiet exploring is nice. Plus, we make the electricity for it up on our roof. We'll miss the growl our current JLUR has with the 3.6. My local dealer has 5 or 6 4xEs on order. They started building them in December, but every one that's been built is in storage and everyone who has pre-ordered them has been getting shipping delays since the beginning of Feb. Current update from Jeep is estimated ship dates end of March for early April delivery to dealers. Apparently they did a similar delay with the Pacifica hybrid while they worked out some last minute bugs. We'll see! Can't wait to test drive one!
I would only purchase a 4xe now if I was buying a Rubicon.

MarcusBrody

The official EPA ratings just came out for the Unlimited 4xe.

21 Miles all electric, then 20mpg in hybrid mode (equal in city and highway). 370 miles of total range.

Honestly that is a bit lower than I was expecting. I didn't think that it would be a Prius given it's weight and profile, but I thought it might end up at 25 mpg given that the 4 cylinder is rated at 22 overall and has higher both city (21) and highway (24) mpg. Now the 4xe might come closer to its stated miles, esp in city driving, but still, not quite what I'd hoped.

I do have a commute that could be done on all electric mode, so the 4xe still might be the most efficient of the Jeep options if I were to use it as my primary car, but in a family with two cars, it sounds like it would make more sense to use the second more efficient car as the commuter.

I was always more interested in the Gladiator 4xe in any case, but I suspect that will be lower given its slightly lower gas mileage than Wrangler Unlimited.

autism family travels

I am hoping the new electric has a 300 mile range, then I will forgo the 4xe altogether. Our gas prices shot up from 98 a liter to 1.50 in the span of a month and a half. The petrol companies are making up for the disastrous 2020 now. I call 2.00 a liter before summer hits. When the '********' fell out of the prices last year I called the 2.00 a liter thing then. Just as when they moved to 1.00 a liter back in 2000 ish. People were saying it will go back down, I knew the difference. Greed shows no bounds. We are moving to full electric as soon as possible here. The public utilities board are not allowed to raise electicity prices on a whim here. So power stays at a pretty constant rate. Its only allowed to be increased 2 percent in a 2 year period here if I remember correctly. Bring on the electric off road rigs!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I see these have hit dealer lots. Anyone take delivery yet? I’m a little disappointed that the first ones out the gate have a bunch of optioned crap that I would never want, but I’ll probably go test drive one anyway!

camodog

Adventurer
I test drove the 4XE today and I have to say it is quite impressive.
The idea of that as a dd commuter and not using gas M-F is quite intriguing. (20 mile round trip for work)

I also really enjoyed the max regen feature (selectable button). I can safely coast to a near stop without using the brake pedal.

I placed the wrangler in e-save mode and wanted to see the performance driving up I-70 W towards Morrison.

The gas only held its own but was somewhat slow, however when I needed the extra oomph, all you need to do is put the pedal down and the hybrid takes over and suddenly your passing folks like they are standing still.

If you’re a skeptic, test drive one. It may surprise you. If it doesn’t, no big deal, go buy the V8.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Awesome! Thanks for the review. I’m seriously considering one, fortunately, my wife will probably push me back 1-3 years and let them work the bugs out. It is nice to have someone looking out sometimes!

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
Test drove a 4xe Rubicon briefly today. Overall impression - it's very cool. It had a decent charge on it, and in hybrid mode around town it only used the electric motor unless you really laid into the pedal, then it would start the gas engine. The transition was smooth, it felt pretty well sorted out. Love the max regen mode, very easy to use. Didn't take it on the highway. Sadly we confirmed the rumors are true, the MSRP on these jumped $2k. :oops:

4xe_sm.jpg

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Congratulations! Did you go push in all the fuses and relays to ensure they are seated? That seems to be local lo

I cooled off on the 4xe desire quite a bit after I calculated / estimated that it would cost somewhere between about 1.5x and 3x the cost of gas to run it on electric at my utility rates. And that is at almost $4.00 gas.

Clearly, there will have to be a large solar upgrade if an electric car moves into my life anytime soon.

I would be really interested to know what your real-life hybrid mileage is after a few weeks of ownership.

I got 24.7 mpg in a JKU Sahara 2.0T during a short week running around town and a long mountain trip recently. It was claiming 21.4 as the lifetime average when I picked it up.

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
Congratulations! Did you go push in all the fuses and relays to ensure they are seated? That seems to be local lo

I cooled off on the 4xe desire quite a bit after I calculated / estimated that it would cost somewhere between about 1.5x and 3x the cost of gas to run it on electric at my utility rates. And that is at almost $4.00 gas.

Clearly, there will have to be a large solar upgrade if an electric car moves into my life anytime soon.

I would be really interested to know what your real-life hybrid mileage is after a few weeks of ownership.

I got 24.7 mpg in a JKU Sahara 2.0T during a short week running around town and a long mountain trip recently. It was claiming 21.4 as the lifetime average when I picked it up.

I did check the fuses/relays at the dealer before we left, all were fine.

Yea our electricity in Massachusetts is also crazy expensive - 23 c/kwhr last time I checked and that's with a discounted aggregate rate that saves us 2-3c/kwhr from the regular rates. The 4xE has a 17 kwh battery pack, so to fully charge it would be ~$3.91 for us at the regular rates. If that nets you about 21 miles of range, it's very comparable to a gallon of gas.

That said, we installed 10kw of solar earlier this year and have been producing 110-120% or our monthly household needs since then. Adding the Jeep should just about even us out with production vs consumption. The vast majority of our around-town and short commute driving should be covered by the battery, so I'm looking at the solar system essentially eliminating both my monthly electric bill and a good portion of our monthly gas bill.

Plus, it's pretty damn quick and really smooth. We're loving it compared to the 3.6/Auto '18 JLUR we traded in.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I did check the fuses/relays at the dealer before we left, all were fine.

Yea our electricity in Massachusetts is also crazy expensive - 23 c/kwhr last time I checked and that's with a discounted aggregate rate that saves us 2-3c/kwhr from the regular rates. The 4xE has a 17 kwh battery pack, so to fully charge it would be ~$3.91 for us at the regular rates. If that nets you about 21 miles of range, it's very comparable to a gallon of gas.

That said, we installed 10kw of solar earlier this year and have been producing 110-120% or our monthly household needs since then. Adding the Jeep should just about even us out with production vs consumption. The vast majority of our around-town and short commute driving should be covered by the battery, so I'm looking at the solar system essentially eliminating both my monthly electric bill and a good portion of our monthly gas bill.

Plus, it's pretty damn quick and really smooth. We're loving it compared to the 3.6/Auto '18 JLUR we traded in.

Nice! I may still end up coming around soon, my JK might be re-homed in the next couple of years. The holdup right now is that both my daughter and I thought the JL was too soft, interior was not tactile enough, and seat was uncomfortable. I guess at some point we will just have to learn to live with it.

Similarly to you, my cheapest available kWh is .23, the highest right now is .50, and the rate changes during the day based on both time and prior usage for the day. My solar is only 5 kW, and it’s well over 100 here for large portions of the year. I probably need to up to about 15 kW solar to zero out a bill and charge a car. Instead, I’m trying to convince my employer to take advantage of some of the incentives for installing charging stations. But… my boss read my proposal, looked at me, and said… I guess the electric Jeeps are out now?

Anyway, I’m very interested in some usage reports, please keep them coming!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles