4x6 trailers--what's your total width?

J-No

Looking at getting a 4x6 trailer built. My gate is 6'7'. Ideally use Jeep wheels.

4 feet + a foot for each wheel gives me 6 feet.

Is 7 inches combined reasonable for a space between trailer/wheel?

What are your 4ft trailers looking like for total width?

Jerkeejoe

I think you should be good. I used a Timbren suspension setup that allows my wheels to run as close to the frame as possible and I'm just over 6' total width with a 4' body. I'll measure exactly and take some pics tonight.

john61ct

Adventurer
The timbren axle-less in heavier sizes is 6-7" from the outside of the mounting rail to the flange face, i.e. **center** of the wheel.

Their HD versions allow for a bit more if you want to use fatter offroad tires.

old_CWO

Have you considered building around a pair of 7.00-15 NDCC tires? Those will work with a standard 9" wide trailer fender making your overall width ~66". Plus, they really look "right" on a Jeep trailer as it mimics the original military quarter ton trailer.

this is my 4x6 trailer. built it earlier this year for dragging my vendor booth to expo and other shows. ill get a width measurement tomorrow.

265/70-17 tires, with 17x8 wheels 4.5"BS, same wheels and tires as my jeep.

IMG_0647-L.jpg

IMG_0668-L.jpg

IMG_0674-L.jpg

it will be for sale very very soon (like next week) as i start in on something new.

john61ct

Adventurer
I've been looking at U.S. car hauler low-deck flatbeds, so just FYI.

Max legal width is 102", many stay within 101.5"

Within the (usually removable) fenders, the bed width is usually at least 81"

Some manage to get to 83".

Which implies 9.5-10.5" width on each side, including the tire, fender width and airgap.

So 13" extra each side

I guess yeah, I have about 1.5” between tire and leaf spring bolt, and another .75” - 1” of overhang of fender past the tire. The fenders are my trailers widest point.

The wheel width outside of tire to outside of tire is 3/4” narrower per side than my JK

J-No

Thanks all.

No real off roading. Could get by with some smaller wheels--need to figure out the plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz