4x4 Van Options

You can get a basic (which is loaded compared to an e350) 4x4 Sprinter for $46k. Dealers have orders already placed which can be easily modified, and you can have your build in around 4 to 6 months time. There are also quite a few available now for that price. There are a lot of ready made solutions for the Sprinters from companies like RBComponents or you can DIY, which is also pretty simple.

While the Sprinters are not going to go in the same places that the e350's do, the e350 is also limited on where it can go based on its size - these aren't jeeps. If you just plan on driving around the mountains and a little snow I think you'd be happy with either but the Sprinters are easier to come by, cost about the same, and are easier to sell / people can get a loan for the full amount.

Just my thoughts - not trying to disagree with anyone. Draw your own conclusions =)

michael_l

Observer
You can get a basic (which is loaded compared to an e350) 4x4 Sprinter for $46k. Dealers have orders already placed which can be easily modified, and you can have your build in around 4 to 6 months time. There are also quite a few available now for that price. There are a lot of ready made solutions for the Sprinters from companies like RBComponents or you can DIY, which is also pretty simple.

While the Sprinters are not going to go in the same places that the e350's do, the e350 is also limited on where it can go based on its size - these aren't jeeps. If you just plan on driving around the mountains and a little snow I think you'd be happy with either but the Sprinters are easier to come by, cost about the same, and are easier to sell / people can get a loan for the full amount.

Just my thoughts - not trying to disagree with anyone. Draw your own conclusions =)

Definitely appreciate the thoughts. I will admit I'm slightly leery of the reliability thus far of the new 4x4 sprinters, but maybe I've just seen a few very vocal opponents? Also, even at 46k, plus another 5k for a bare bones interior, it's still not quite near affordable as far as "not necessary in life luxury toys" go.

I am fortunate in that this is not an immediate or pressing decision that needs to be made. Still very much in the shopping and considering phase.
Lately I've been lusting after a VMI trailer for all the reasons that trailers are better than a van.
Cheaper to register
Easier to store
less cost / maintenance
Don't have to daily drive an ice cream van...
And my current 2005 4runner would need nothing more to toe it.

I think it will depend where the USMC / life takes us. If I get an opportunity to travel for a year or so, then a van is the answer. If I remain employed by uncle sam, moving frequently, never sure what your next yard / garage / house space looks like then a trailer might be a great solution. Obviously I would miss out on the conveniences of being able to move about while driver, zero set up time, increased security, and much easier to maneuver down tight trails etc.

Who knows, I appreciate the input, and in the interim I'll continue reading other member's builds.

Rico24/7

As much as Sprinters have a cult-like following, based upon legit ‘benefits’, the mountain of documented reliability issues, and inflated prices turn me off entirely.

Someone had pondered the idea of a bastardized build of Van body on truck frame & cab. It would take A Lot of fabrication, since the frames are ENTIRELY different. Mounting points, supports, tie-ins .... certainly not just a matter of set it on frame at tie it in to cab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94