4x4 transfer case removal Gen 2.5

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Quick question, can the 4x4 transfer case be removed by itself, or does the rest of the transmission need to come down with it? I’ve got a fluid leak that’s getting worse and I’m eventually going to need to deal with it.

evomaki

Observer
Yes, it can. It is heavy and awkward. I took one out of a parts car not long ago. I've not put one back. Obviously, that can be done too, but that would be even be more of a PITA. If your ultimate need is to remove the transmission, I would try to do the transmission and TC together. I bought the cheaper screw jack style transmission jack from HF, that helped in the removal. The TC has to move back before it drops down, with the front coming down at an angle. I looked for tips on various forums on the R&R of that thing and really didn't find much help. Good luck.

plh

Explorer
I removed the transmission / TC from my old '93 SR as 1 piece. Jackstands to support the truck, floor jack and HF trans jack. Can be done... it was NOT fun. Did not put it back in as the truck was scrapped due to excessive frame rust and blown head gasket. This was also the smaller - lighter AW372L transmission. I actually tried to do it as 2 pieces and really could not figure out how to get the TC out without the trans. (impatient). Hot knife would have helped.

evomaki

Observer
One more tip, for what it is worth, I'd characterize the last part of the letting down process, for me, as kind of a controlled drop as my cheap transmission jack, with TC strapped to it kind of fell over. The darn thing comes out at such an angle, my jack could not deal with it. I had sort of a crash pad for it to fall into, just a couple of collapsed cardboard boxes. Nothing fancy. Just so it didn't land bad and bend a stud or something. Taking it out can be a one person job. Putting it back, definitely good to have a friend over.

PaydayGabe

Yeah right now I’d only need to pull the TC.
Here's my cheap tip for the installation.
Your gonna fashion 2 alignment dowels from a pair of bolts that you can access with a screwdriver.
Insure they are of adequate length to allow the TC to slide into place.
Cut off the bolt heads,,
Grind a tapered point,,
Cut a slot in the point to fit
the screwdriver.
Insert in 2 easily accessible bolt holes just a few threads.
Install the TC and the remaining bolts.
When tight,, remove the alignment dowels and replace the 2 final bolts.

Wham, Bam, thank you Ma'am!
Definitely a two person job
w/ the jack.

Works for Engines and transmissions also.

Your welcome . G.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles