4x4 IFS Swap in Heavy truck

MTVR

Kahlo was also a commie and a gold-digger, who as a teenager took up with a married man more than twice her age...and then cheated on him.

He also banged her younger sister.

Sounds like Tennessee, where family trees look more like a ladder. I wouldn't be surprised if she turned out to be her own aunt...

Last edited:

javajoe79

Fabricator
Like I said I know nothing about you other than what you post here. Why anyone would think you’re a decent person based solely on what you post here is beyond me. It’s a really simple observation but it’s no surprise that your response is the same garbage we see in most of your posts.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I just bought a Ford C700 truck (and just joined forum) and am starting to plan a fully custom diy camper build.
I have a number of projects (too many) this one is maybe 3rd or 4th on the todo list, but I plan ahead and look for deals on sourcing parts without being in a rush.
This is a 26,000 GVWR truck, an ex-PG&E utility vehicle I don't plan to get anywhere near that weight.
The front axle is a typical straight drop axle with leaf springs. I want to replace that with a IFS or Independent Front Suspension and make it a driven axle (i.e. 4x4).
From what I can tell, the Chevy 3/4-1-ton is the biggest truck available with 4x4 IFS. Is there other alternatives I'm missing?
It seems the chevy is very similiar to my gen2 Ford Explorer with a-arms and torsion bars.
I also happen to have a 87 Ford F250 4x4 with the TTB front axle. While I don't think that would work as-is, maybe with some mods that kind of setup will work?

14554182_1.jpg

Lets try this again.

BeNimble, there are many reasons why some of the comments above point towards a solid front driven axle.
It is far simpler, and typically cheaper to maintain, wears tires better, is often more robust, and typically provides better off road performance due to flex.
All reasons why there are so many SAS (solid-axle-swapped) TTB F250s, Rangers, Explorers, along with full Size IFS Chevy/GMCs, and even IFS 4-runners and Tacomas.
The market for this conversion is simply enormous.

That said, there are some decent IFS trucks out there.
But before you think more about that TTB F-250, do understand that while they are strong, they are incredibly bad on tires.
Due to their design, as the suspension cycles, both the toe and the camber changes. With this, the contact patch of the tire, resulting in horrendous wear.

So if I were to suggest an IFS, the GM setup would be it.
Yes, its uses struts, and yes they are "tie rod killers", but it is a great setup.
It has the load rating you need, rides great, is easy to align to get proper tire wear, and has plenty of support.

Only thing Id really be interested in checking would be the width(s)
Some of those older trucks were awfully narrow, both the frame rails and the body.

I don’t know if you think my input is worth anything. But if you do, I would recommend looking at a Dana 80 as an absolute minimum (with ARB air locker or similar). Better would be any one of a large number of medium to HD front axles 8-15000 lb GAWR, with selectable lockers. Forget IFS, you’re buying trouble. This is not a BMW, and IFS generally has LESS wheel travel than SAS in this sort of application.

BeNimble

I will not be using a solid axle.

Most likely going to build something custom using F550 10-bolt hubs.
I will start looking for a bargain F550 front axle and a GM 4x4 front too.
As I mentioned, I have other projects ahead of this one,
1972 GMC 5500 custom step-side pickup build with V10 on a Dodge motorhome chassis (hey it has a IFS! :)
My 'tiny house' trailer conversion from a E450 bus (has a D80 that isn't needed for a trailer..may remove it)
1974 Dodge motorhome 5.9 Magnum swap and water damage repairs and some other interior work.

Then the C700.

Also have a 88 E350 box van, might use the aluminum box for the C700,

Attachments

• miniontank.jpg
    miniontank.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 13

quickfarms

Adventurer
Please cite the laws you are referring to.

There are a few hundred of these vehicles in private hands, and many of them are registered for road use.

As a former LEO you should have learned about the FHA Bridge Weight Law at some point in the academy. Around here every LEO is at least aware of the standard classifications of the Bridge Law.

Since you are operating a truck with a GVW of over 26,000 lbs a class B, or A, CDL is required and this would have also been included in your CDL training.

If the data plates on the truck state the numbers you have provided then the vehicle needs an overweight permit.

The CDL training would have also included training about COLA and how to do a proper per trip inspection and brake adjustment.

You should also receive special training on how to deal with a blowout. Blowouts in a truck are nothing like a car and have caused many accidents. Super single blowouts are worse than a normal tire and the run flat and tak-4 suspension just makes it worse. It is very common for a super single blowout to create a mess of twisted rubber and metal that rips off air lines or air cans, body parts. It is usually necessary to cut the mess out with a grinder or torch.

When I was driving for a living one of the drivers blew a steering tire on the interstate and lost the truck down a 100 foot embankment and the roll off box saved his life. Two weeks later I blew a passenger side steer tire about a mile from that location and was able to park the truck in the dirt median. It was a weird experience standing in the middle of the closed freeway looking at the grove my truck dug into the pavement. A tow truck was necessary to lift the truck out of the dirt before they could put a new tire on. A rear blowout on duels is not bad but it can take out the other tire if you are loaded.

A couple of hundred trucks in civilian hands is not enough to get the attention of the DOT

Since you obviously lack the training required to safely operate a vehicle of this size and weight on the highway you are currently being reckless and endangering your safety and those around you and putting the civilian ownership of these vehicles in jeopardy.

MTVR

As a former LEO you should have learned about the FHA Bridge Weight Law at some point in the academy. Around here every LEO is at least aware of the standard classifications of the Bridge Law.

Since you are operating a truck with a GVW of over 26,000 lbs a class B, or A, CDL is required and this would have also been included in your CDL training.

If the data plates on the truck state the numbers you have provided then the vehicle needs an overweight permit.

The CDL training would have also included training about COLA and how to do a proper per trip inspection and brake adjustment.

You should also receive special training on how to deal with a blowout. Blowouts in a truck are nothing like a car and have caused many accidents. Super single blowouts are worse than a normal tire and the run flat and tak-4 suspension just makes it worse. It is very common for a super single blowout to create a mess of twisted rubber and metal that rips off air lines or air cans, body parts. It is usually necessary to cut the mess out with a grinder or torch.

When I was driving for a living one of the drivers blew a steering tire on the interstate and lost the truck down a 100 foot embankment and the roll off box saved his life. Two weeks later I blew a passenger side steer tire about a mile from that location and was able to park the truck in the dirt median. It was a weird experience standing in the middle of the closed freeway looking at the grove my truck dug into the pavement. A tow truck was necessary to lift the truck out of the dirt before they could put a new tire on. A rear blowout on duels is not bad but it can take out the other tire if you are loaded.

A couple of hundred trucks in civilian hands is not enough to get the attention of the DOT

Since you obviously lack the training required to safely operate a vehicle of this size and weight on the highway you are currently being reckless and endangering your safety and those around you and putting the civilian ownership of these vehicles in jeopardy.

Lol, so you're not able to cite the law you're trying to refer to.

I'll help you out there, **********************- it's 23 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) § 658.17.

The first area where you appear to be getting confused, is the difference between gross vehicle weight and GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating). As long as the gross weight of our vehicle does not violate 23 CFR § 658.17, we are completely legal, regardless of how high our GVWR is.

The second area where you appear to be getting confused, is state driver's license requirements. In Oregon (and in many other states), motorhomes do not require CDLs to operate, even if they are over 26,000 pounds GVWR, even if they have air brakes. And our MTVR fits the legal definition of a motorhome under ORS (Oregon Revised Statutes) 801.350.

The third area where you appear to be getting confused, is your wacky assumption that all cops have all training. I have received a substantial amount of training above and beyond academy, to include Glock Factory Armorer training, some specialized Active Shooter training, NHTSA stuff like ARIDE (Advanced Roadside Impaired Driving Enforcement), and FMCSA stuff like 49 CFR, so that I am properly trained to do commercial truck enforcement. But not every cop does.

And finally, you appear to be confused by referring to me as a "former LEO"- I am an honorably retired police officer, with full pension, free medical for life, and all of the privileges bestowed by LEOSA (Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act), allowing me to legally carry in all 50 states without a Concealed Handgun License. HUGE difference.

So you would do well to stick to what you know, Super Trucker- because you obviously don't know about this kind of stuff...

Last edited:

javajoe79

Fabricator
The TAK-4 IFS has 16" of travel. How much travel do you think he's gonna get out of a straight-axle swap under an F700?
There it is again. Maybe you could point him in the direction of an available tak4 setup. You know, try to contribute rather than just troll.

MTVR

If he wants TAK-4 setups for his vehicle, he can buy something at auction that is equipped with them, and strip them off for his truck, along with the transfer case, 53" tall tires, and anything else he needs. He could get a non-running, burned, and/or crashed MTVR for not a lot of money. In addition to the front/t-case/rear lockers, beadlocks, and runflats, he could also transfer over as much of the technology as he wanted (ABS, traction control, dual CTIS, etc.)...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles