4x4 IFS Swap in Heavy truck

BeNimble

I just bought a Ford C700 truck (and just joined forum) and am starting to plan a fully custom diy camper build.
I have a number of projects (too many) this one is maybe 3rd or 4th on the todo list, but I plan ahead and look for deals on sourcing parts without being in a rush.
This is a 26,000 GVWR truck, an ex-PG&E utility vehicle I don't plan to get anywhere near that weight.
The front axle is a typical straight drop axle with leaf springs. I want to replace that with a IFS or Independent Front Suspension and make it a driven axle (i.e. 4x4).
From what I can tell, the Chevy 3/4-1-ton is the biggest truck available with 4x4 IFS. Is there other alternatives I'm missing?
It seems the chevy is very similiar to my gen2 Ford Explorer with a-arms and torsion bars.
I also happen to have a 87 Ford F250 4x4 with the TTB front axle. While I don't think that would work as-is, maybe with some mods that kind of setup will work?

14554182_1.jpg

BeNimble

I did look at the Humvee is what I want, but doesn't seem to handle any more weight than the 1ton chevy. My c700 has ten lug wheels 22.5 wheels.
Just read about he oshkosh TAK-4 and it looks like the drop-in solution. Kinda think those won't be selling cheap anytime soon, but will investigate thanks!

TAK-4.jpg

BeNimble

As I see it, there are two issues here, one is handling the dead weight and the other is handling the power to move the vehicle.
So the hub and wheel bearings are one issue and the cv joins and axles are another and the differential strength itself.
I have some ideas on fabricating parts..a TTB style with two 8.8 diffs and F550 wheel hubs and axles stubs.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Why do you want IFS? A lot of us with stock IFS want the time and budget to take a torch to it for a solid axle swap!

But as a practical matter a live front axle would seem like it would be much less pain to retrofit.

roving1

So your reasoning is just to find the most involve thing then or do you have some reason for considering the TAK-4?

Because: Reasons...

And buying a F550 would be easy too, and you might notice I am not doing that.

Easy and difficult are not synonyms for pointless and worthwhile respectively.

The front end is specc'ed out for the weight of the cab and engine mainly . That doesn't change a whole lot no matter what the gross weight for the vehicle is. Why there are dualies in the rear. Front end is going to have 85-90% the same weight on the front "empty" anyways so I have no idea why you think you can downgrade the front end that much if at all really especially with a set back axle.

MTVR

I did look at the Humvee is what I want, but doesn't seem to handle any more weight than the 1ton chevy. My c700 has ten lug wheels 22.5 wheels.
Just read about he oshkosh TAK-4 and it looks like the drop-in solution. Kinda think those won't be selling cheap anytime soon, but will investigate thanks!

TAK-4.jpg

We got three of them, for about $15K. They came with a whole MTVR truck...

quickfarms

Adventurer
Why would you claim that?

Because it is the truth.

Simpler is often better.

This is also the same reason that drum brakes are still very common on class 8 trucks. Drum brakes dissipate the heat better than disc brakes on class 8 trucks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94