4x4 Chevy Astro Provan Tiger GT

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
I figured somebody out there would have done a full-on 4x4 conversion. First one I've seen....

http://rockies.craigslist.org/rvs/3341377368.html

3L53Ib3N95G45H55J7caf31861e63662b1c4d.jpg

Thanks for posting this, I am in the market for a capable micro-rv or other capable camper van, the tiger GT is near the top of my list. After reading the CL ad it seems this Tiger has been well cared for and is somewhat built for overland use. However, I still think it is a bit overpriced considering it will need a new tent/lift panel, new window, and possibly a new fridge/furnace/paint among other things. On the other hand, the seller seems pretty upfront and honest which has got to count for something. 2-3k less and i would be on a plane to CO right now. Not sure if I've seen full 4x4 on a Tiger before but I've definitely seen it done on a number of Astro/Safaris.

I'm no Chevy tech, but I've heard that the v6 is just a 6 cyl version of the 350 v8 with pretty much the same reputation in terms of durability and reliability.

tibfibber

Observer
Damn, gave me a start, thought there was another 4x4 astro tiger out there! I seem to have one of the few... This particular one was was pretty nice, if I recall the listing.

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
...anyone save the pictures/description from the post?
That's actually a gripe of mine how guys post a Craigslist ad link without anything else, causing frustration for folks later on who want to see what was in the ad. So, I've lodged a gripe against myself with a fine of $100 and a week's worth of community service work.

Meanwhile, I did a quick zip of the description and a few other key words in hopes of finding one of those other ad places that accidentally save Craigslist ad material longer than Craigslist does, the best I could prompt are the first two tiny thumbnails in this photo search. I believe the one I had in the Craigslist ad is the same one they have in the Tiger owners' forum page here, so it looks like if you join their forum, you'll be able to see all the photos the seller either had or still has.

There must be at least two other 4x4-converted Astro Tigers out there, since a 2008 forum post has a couple of guys talking about theirs.

tibfibber

Observer
these are easier to see (pulled from the tiger forum)

Attachments

• CIMG4720.jpg
    CIMG4720.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 1,036
  • CIMG4724.jpg
    CIMG4724.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 2,366
  • Photo_082808_002.jpg
    Photo_082808_002.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 4,288

tibfibber

Observer
Mine is an 87, which looks like the same Four Wheel Drive Engineering conversion, although my paperwork only goes back to the late 90s/second owner. Donor parts were from a ~81 Bronco, redrilled for 5x5 bolt pattern.

Attachments

• tfp-3631.jpg
    tfp-3631.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 22,421

Stroverlander

Adventurer
I dig these things, a late model AWD (preferably '03-'05 if they exist!) would be about the only thing I'd part with my van for right now.

sambot

Observer
Mine is an 88 4x4 Tiger Safari

I'm not sure who did the conversion, but it has a Dana 44 front axle and a 2 spd transfer case. Nice and short but with lots of room.
Not for sale yet.

Attachments

• DSCN9555.jpg
    DSCN9555.jpg
    547.9 KB · Views: 3,342
  • DSCN8323.JPG
    DSCN8323.JPG
    483.5 KB · Views: 2,259
  • DSCN8338.JPG
    DSCN8338.JPG
    487.4 KB · Views: 851
  • DSCN8381.JPG
    DSCN8381.JPG
    485 KB · Views: 490
  • DSCN8379.JPG
    DSCN8379.JPG
    466.4 KB · Views: 436

suntinez

Explorer
That's actually a gripe of mine how guys post a Craigslist ad link without anything else, causing frustration for folks later on who want to see what was in the ad. So, I've lodged a gripe against myself with a fine of $100 and a week's worth of community service work.

Ha! I've saved the two CL ads that I've ever seen for a 4x4 GT conversion for just this reason, they're uh ... somewhere. Looks like sambot has one of them, or maybe there are others? GTs have the popup on an astro body.

Meanwhile, I did a quick zip of the description and a few other key words in hopes of finding one of those other ad places that accidentally save Craigslist ad material longer than Craigslist does, the best I could prompt are the first two tiny thumbnails in this photo search.

Both of those are my pics - the first one is my current 2001 CX on an F250 4x4 (CX = hardtop on a truck body), the second was my 91 XL AWD (XL = hardtop on an astro body), now sold.

I believe the one I had in the Craigslist ad is the same one they have in the Tiger owners' forum page here, so it looks like if you join their forum, you'll be able to see all the photos the seller either had or still has.

That guy posts the same vehicle for sale periodically, but doesn't respond to inquires - I've tried. I bet the CL ad you saw was him esp if it's in CO, guessing he still has it. You can see in that thread I asked him if it was the same (plus I emailed him), but he never replied.

There must be at least two other 4x4-converted Astro Tigers out there, since a 2008 forum post has a couple of guys talking about theirs.

The Multiply site for Tiger owners was short lived in between the days of the Microsoft site and the Yahoo site. The yahoo site is still active, and there's a migration now to this site Yeah, we're all over the place.

My best guess is that if you want a true 4x4 Tiger on the astro chassis, you'll have to swap the transfer case yourself. Best info on that is on the astrosafarivan site. I know T. Low did it on the Astrolander, he's on Expo as well as the astrosafarivans site.

Anyhow, good luck.

ExpoWill

I have a 2wd 90 Tiger GT, I have though about converting to a 4x4, just haven't decided to go through with it yet. The last TigerGT that they made sold recently, I so wish I would have seen the ad for it, that was a 2005 model.

suntinez

Explorer
Yep that one was mine too.

Funny I've had 2 serious inquiries on it in the last week, hope the new owners are using it like it should be used! That was a great Tiger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94